The Waterboys - Any fans/haters here? They don't get mentiooned on BCB that often

Do talk back
Tactful Cactus

Re: The Waterboys - Any fans/haters here? They don't get mentiooned on BCB that often

Postby Tactful Cactus » 18 Jul 2017, 12:40

Dear oh dear, you let yourself down there M

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Re: The Waterboys - Any fans/haters here? They don't get mentiooned on BCB that often

Postby The Modernist » 18 Jul 2017, 13:09

Don't blame me, blame Bono!

Postby ... » 18 Jul 2017, 13:13

The Modernist wrote:
fueryIre wrote:.

Off the top of my head (and I'm nowhere near being any kind of U2 expert), aside from possibly Sunday Bloody Sunday which is a protest song, I can't really think of one recording where their Irishness is really apparent.

I'm surprised you say that. Just for starters:

"Top o' the Morning to ya" from Achtung Baby
"Bejesus, mine's a Guinness" from October
"Emerald Suede Shoes" from Rattle and Hum

Get to feck, you feckin' gobshite!

Postby ... » 18 Jul 2017, 13:14

The Modernist wrote:
fueryIre wrote:.

Off the top of my head (and I'm nowhere near being any kind of U2 expert), aside from possibly Sunday Bloody Sunday which is a protest song, I can't really think of one recording where their Irishness is really apparent.

I'm surprised you say that. Just for starters:

"Top o' the Morning to ya" from Achtung Baby
"Bejesus, mine's a Guinness" from October
"Emerald Suede Shoes" from Rattle and Hum

Get to feck, you feckin' gobshite!

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 19 Jul 2017, 05:26

I liked the first three albums but never warmed to the folk stuff and only casually listened to stuff after, including the Yeats album, and not really been too impressed.

I love all of the This Is The Sea album and still play it regularly

Thang-y

Postby Thang-y » 19 Jul 2017, 11:15

Modern Blues (2015) is strong. Worth a punt.

Bob

Postby Bob » 19 Jul 2017, 19:02

The songs are quite good and the playing OK as long as they forget about synths and all that stuff. The problem I have is Mike Scott'e voice. He just can't sing. And I love Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, Tom Waits and the like, but Mike Scott is just terrible vocally.

Some of the songs can take a bit of talk-singing and that's not too bad. I would single out Glastonbury Song as one that works, but overall I can't dig it.

One little nag. I have asked the moderator, but I'll try again. Please remove the dogs! They're horrible.

Thang-y

Postby Thang-y » 19 Jul 2017, 20:24

Bob wrote:One little nag. I have asked the moderator, but I'll try again. Please remove the dogs! They're horrible.

They're in someone's signature line (get shown every time he makes a post).

You'll have to have a word with the bloke.

Return to “Yakety Yak”