43%
Feels So Good
57%

Total votes: 14

pcqgod

"Birdland" vs. "Feels So Good"

Postby pcqgod » 12 Jul 2017, 20:35

"Birdland" by Weather Report...

or "Feels so Good" by everyone's favorite flugelhornist and "King of the Hill" guest star, Chuck Mangione?

Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Re: "Birdland" vs. "Feels So Good"

Postby soundchaser » 12 Jul 2017, 20:46

You're not being serious are you?

Birdland, is a total classic, from a fucking amazing album.

The CM, is lightweight, throwaway dross.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 12 Jul 2017, 22:30

I started playing that opening synth line from Birdland the other week, just to rankle the guys.

it worked! :lol:
Jimbo wrote:In some ways, personality-wise, Trump and I are similar.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 12 Jul 2017, 22:37

Snarfyguy wrote:I started playing that opening synth line from Birdland the other week, just to rankle the guys.

it worked! :lol:

Do your friends not like music?

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 12 Jul 2017, 22:39

OK, I'll bite. I like the Mangione track. Could probably do without the octave-jump disco bass, but it's a great melody all the way through. Clearly he was mining the easy listening vein, but I have ceased to mind that (if I ever did). I've never cared for the Weather Report tune. Not sure if I think it's beneath them playing such a fruity melody, or what. I've never been a fan, though I get that they are top-notch players as well as a real group trying their creative best.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Six String

Postby Six String » 13 Jul 2017, 01:15

I've not enjoyed that WR song in a long time because of the number of times I've heard it. I love the rest of the album. Chuck is another disappointment. I have an earlier album of his Land Of Make Believe on Mercury that includes an orchestra backing the jazz band and it has a few vocals by Esther Satterfield and all of these things would normally have me running away but it must be that I heard it a lot in the mid 70s when it was released and nostalgia kicks in. I love cranking the volume on this for some reason. The recording is remarkable for a live album, especially with the orchestra in the mix. I also have hs first album on Riverside with his brother Gap they call The Jazz Brothers. When Feels So Good came out it sounded so commercial to me. I don't have an active dislike for it but it's kind of meh. It's well played and the melody is pleasant but it doesn't bare repeated listenings for me which is key. The Land Of Make Believe has a commercial feel to it as well, the difference is ot was nthe ver commercially sccessfull so I didn't hear it everywhere I went.
Last edited by Six String on 13 Jul 2017, 05:35, edited 1 time in total.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 13 Jul 2017, 01:20

soundchaser wrote:You're not being serious are you?

Birdland, is a total classic, from a fucking amazing album.

The CM, is lightweight, throwaway dross.

These two tracks always seemed of the same ilk to me, though I'm sure beyond these Weather Report has more to offer musically.

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 13 Jul 2017, 01:23

My goodness but doesn't it feel so good to vote for Chuck Mangione!
toomanyhatz wrote:I honestly don't care for most Beach Boys car songs

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 13 Jul 2017, 01:25

Still Baron wrote:My goodness but doesn't it feel so good to vote for Chuck Mangione!

The odds of my playing this particular million dollar jam when I DJ tonight are quite high.

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 13 Jul 2017, 01:54

Bent Fabric wrote:
Still Baron wrote:My goodness but doesn't it feel so good to vote for Chuck Mangione!

The odds of my playing this particular million dollar jam when I DJ tonight are quite high.

Forgot to say, congrats on landing that Love Boat Gig!
toomanyhatz wrote:I honestly don't care for most Beach Boys car songs

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 13 Jul 2017, 03:56

Out of sight!

Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 13 Jul 2017, 21:15

Six String wrote:I've not enjoyed that WR song in a long time because of the number of times I've heard it. I love the rest of the album. Chuck is another disappointment. I have an earlier album of his Land Of Make Believe on Mercury that includes an orchestra backing the jazz band and it has a few vocals by Esther Satterfield and all of these things would normally have me running away but it must be that I heard it a lot in the mid 70s when it was released and nostalgia kicks in. I love cranking the volume on this for some reason. The recording is remarkable for a live album, especially with the orchestra in the mix. I also have hs first album on Riverside with his brother Gap they call The Jazz Brothers. When Feels So Good came out it sounded so commercial to me. I don't have an active dislike for it but it's kind of meh. It's well played and the melody is pleasant but it doesn't bare repeated listenings for me which is key. The Land Of Make Believe has a commercial feel to it as well, the difference is ot was nthe ver commercially sccessfull so I didn't hear it everywhere I went.

I remember the song "Land of Make Believe" from way back. It's possible one of my older brothers had that album since he was into Maynard Ferguson, Weather Report, Chic Corea, Mangione, and popular jazz artists of the 70's.

Velvis
Mellowed down easy

Postby Velvis » 13 Jul 2017, 21:18

That last minute or so of Birdland is one of my favorite things ever.
a gibbon running freely

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 13 Jul 2017, 21:23

I like both tunes, but I voted for Chuck.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 14 Jul 2017, 16:48

cheezy smooth jazz versus classic Weather Report jazz.
Simple even though Birdland is over played its still a great tune. Pastorius' bass lines and Zawinul's synth are both exceptional on this tune. Saw them shortly after this album came out amazing show.

I like the Chuck tune and it has its moments mostly the guitar parts and has a nice melody but too pop jazz for my liking.

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 15 Jul 2017, 01:05

Things that a fella can't forget...

Darkness_Fish wrote:It's not a great Everly's record, but Ferry brings all his talent and personality to that cover, making it utterly shit.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 15 Jul 2017, 02:14

I was all ready to go into a rant about how Weather Report is all chops and no feel (as one does), but then I listened. It grooves, it swings, it has moments of dissonance - honestly I HAVE heard some WR that's just not for me, but this totally is.

The Mangione is fine - it's a nice melody, and some of the guitar work is pretty good - but it's pretty soporific by comparison. And this version in particular sticks around WAY too long.

Loved Mangione's guest spots on King of the Hill, though. :D
Jimbo wrote:A discredited and shady online publication which gets its information straight from Vladmir Putin himself has accused our hometown good boy Toomanyhatz of belonging to an online band of junkies and McDonald's eaters.
1959 1963 1965 1981 1988 2017?

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 15 Jul 2017, 03:33

toomanyhatz wrote:I was all ready to go into a rant about how Weather Report is all chops and no feel (as one does), but then I listened. It grooves, it swings, it has moments of dissonance - honestly I HAVE heard some WR that's just not for me, but this totally is.

:lol: WR all chops no feel :lol: sure sorry I'll take Jaco's feel, emotion, talent, craziness over any f*cking rock bass player ever. The birdland version of Weather report was amazing it's around the time I first saw them. Sure points in WR's career they lost it but not here.

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 15 Jul 2017, 03:44

toomanyhatz wrote:And this version in particular sticks around WAY too long.

"Oh, you LIKE that one, huh?"

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 15 Jul 2017, 04:14

Mangione for me.

The Weather Report track certainly is more faithful to the whole jazz gestalt. But there are a lot of sounds on it that I don't love, and in the end it just tries to do too much. For all of its fine intentions, it's just a crowded record and it makes me want to escape it.

The Mangione track is bad jazz, but it's pretty good disco-jazz. Taken in that spirit, I can mostly enjoy it. Beyond the semi-joy of its sheer nostalgia-factor, compared to the other record it does have the advantage of allowing you to settle into a well-constructed melody. I appreciate that.
Marginal BCB contributor since 2006

Return to “Yakety Yak”