SHIT
46%
HIT
54%

Total votes: 24

Rayge

Re: John Coan's SHIT OR HIT 18

Postby Rayge » 08 Jul 2017, 23:40

BLACK FELLA wrote:Would be nice if the three who voted 'shit' would come out and rant and rave a bit so we wouldn't have the usual tiresome equanimity

I've never heard it, but voted shit on general principles.
I mean, it's him
You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 09 Jul 2017, 01:03

Diamond Dog wrote:Well it's not shit so I guess it's a hit.

Yeah, not one of his best, but shows his dexterity and skill.
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 09 Jul 2017, 01:04

Quaco wrote:You forgot the patented Beatles major sixth chord which we're supposed to respond to Pavlovian-like. I used to like it for all the obvious reasons, but I've grown pretty tired of it. Too facile and the harking back to Beatle days is tiresome. 'Veronica' and a couple others from the Costello collaboration were better.

Ditto.
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 09 Jul 2017, 01:06

Grey Error wrote:I don't know what to think. I vaguely remember it the first time round. It sounds like a chicken defrosting on a Formica counter.

I dunno know about you, but I'd be proud if I came up with a song half as good.

*fun and open field*
hounds people off the board

Postby *fun and open field* » 09 Jul 2017, 01:29

yeah, YOU try and do it! :lol:
Darryl Strawberry wrote:I quite like Sweet Child. Great wah-wah on the solo.

I'm off to a Governors' meeting. I'll add a clue tonight if we make no progress

fange

Postby fange » 09 Jul 2017, 01:53

Oh gawd, shoot me now.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

fange

Postby fange » 09 Jul 2017, 01:56

sloopjohnc wrote:
Grey Error wrote:I don't know what to think. I vaguely remember it the first time round. It sounds like a chicken defrosting on a Formica counter.

Well, BCB might as well close up shop then if we're going to be following this idea!
Jonny Spencer wrote:

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 09 Jul 2017, 02:11

fange wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:

Well, BCB might as well close up shop then if we're going to be following this idea!

Really, why?

George P. Smackers

Postby George P. Smackers » 09 Jul 2017, 02:12

When he shrugs and then smirks at the very end, he must be thinking "I know it sucks but I am Paul McCartney."

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 09 Jul 2017, 02:18

George P. Smackers wrote:When he shrugs and then smirks at the very end, he must be thinking "I know it sucks but I am Paul McCartney."

I would too, if I was McCartney, thinking, "I can write a better song in a short nap than you can in 25 years."

fange

Postby fange » 09 Jul 2017, 02:30

sloopjohnc wrote:
fange wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:

Really, why?

What I mean is, if we're not able to say "I don't like this" or "I don't think it's good" just because we can't write or play a song as well ourselves, it kinda makes a place like BCB pointless, you know?
You're right - I, and maybe many others here, might never make a song as good as even one of McCartney's 80s tunes, but as the music lovers and fanatics we are, we should still be able to give our personal judgements on it right?

Same with athletes or sports stars - i'm sure there are some NBA or College basketball players, sloop, who you honestly think "actually, he's not that good", despite that fact that you'll never even be close to his level. It's all relative isn't it.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 09 Jul 2017, 03:13

fange wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:
fange wrote:Well, BCB might as well close up shop then if we're going to be following this idea!

Really, why?

What I mean is, if we're not able to say "I don't like this" or "I don't think it's good" just because we can't write or play a song as well ourselves, it kinda makes a place like BCB pointless, you know?
You're right - I, and maybe many others here, might never make a song as good as even one of McCartney's 80s tunes, but as the music lovers and fanatics we are, we should still be able to give our personal judgements on it right?

Same with athletes or sports stars - i'm sure there are some NBA or College basketball players, sloop, who you honestly think "actually, he's not that good", despite that fact that you'll never even be close to his level. It's all relative isn't it.

I get it, but I don't think that it's that bad a song. It's a lot better than a lot of crap that was out there at the time - or any time.

Maybe that's where we differ.

fange

Postby fange » 09 Jul 2017, 04:37

sloopjohnc wrote:Maybe that's where we differ.

Well, that and the whole jazz thing. :)
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 09 Jul 2017, 08:37

Oh, Jesus Christ, it's fucking garbage.

I voted "shit" as soon as you posted the thread (and I didn't just vote - I forced myself to watch and listen).

And then? I got in my car and drove to a really cool venue and played a concert of Paul McCartney music with some great musicians (highlights from, I think, 65-76). Full house, rapturous response, heavy on Ram, Band on the Run, fabs, I did "Step Inside Love" solo.

I will see him in concert for a 10th and 11th time this summer. I went on my phone to pull up the "auctioneer" lyrics on "Back Seat of My Car" between soundcheck and the gig, and the first thing that popped up on Google was an article about his tour opening concert (last night?) and I had to hide it so the setlist wouldn't get spoiled for me.

He's my fucking guy.

And it depresses me that people are (seemingly) willing this song to be something special/decent.

You and I have good days and bad days, right'? Some days the breeze just blows you along and the green lights pop up at every intersection and your jokes all land and the pretty girls all smile at you. Other days, you get splashed at every puddle and your shirt doesn't fit right and you can't seem to interact with your peers/family/colleagues/neighbors in any sort of pleasing way.

This song is, to me, Paul McCartney (songwriter/record maker/performer) on his very worst day. He's collaborating with another washed up hack who (at his best) was never all that fantastic. The fact that either man has been reduced to this state of affairs is symptomatic of some far greater problems. Remind yourself if you must that this is a guy forcefully trying to pull himself out of a deep, deep rut...he is making "the record after Press to Play" and it is no more or less promising than that sounds.

It's desperate. Worse yet, it's fucking clever. It's simultaneously over and underwritten. It's like (shudders) Squeeze or something. All of these "hyper melodic" (yet ultimately uncompelling) sections - 20 verses, bridges, prechoruses, "choruses". It's like the sort of thing you'd bring out of a songwriting workshop.

I love him for his most effortless magic. Which this is not.

This is the day your dad burnt the dinner and you gamely told him it was edible.

kewl klive
cultural defective

Postby kewl klive » 09 Jul 2017, 08:50

More gravy please.
Diamond Dog wrote:RIP Jake. A tough, tough, tough man. A man you really didn't want to get into a street brawl with.

Bald and Boring Kal wrote:John posted a picture of me which he'd doctored nastily

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 09 Jul 2017, 10:51

I honestly don't get the venom. By McCartney's solo standards it's actually pretty good.

kewl klive
cultural defective

Postby kewl klive » 09 Jul 2017, 11:01

It sounds like Joe Jackson.
Diamond Dog wrote:RIP Jake. A tough, tough, tough man. A man you really didn't want to get into a street brawl with.

Bald and Boring Kal wrote:John posted a picture of me which he'd doctored nastily

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 09 Jul 2017, 11:06

The Modernist wrote:
BLACK FELLA wrote:Were there any really good solo Beatles' singles after 1975?

(I suppose that discounts John pretty much, unless you rate 'Woman' or 'Starting Over')

There's decent, likable stuff like this or 'Coming Up', but "really good"? No.

Lennon's Watching The Wheels and Nobody Told Me were pretty good.

From McCartney I like Let 'Em In, London Town, Old Siam Sir, Girls' School, Goodnight Tonight and Coming Up

kewl klive
cultural defective

Postby kewl klive » 09 Jul 2017, 16:06

Canis lupus wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:It's entirely awful...The song sounds like Big Country.

:lol:

you mean, like shit Big Country?

Or Big Country as we call them.

kewl klive
cultural defective

Postby kewl klive » 09 Jul 2017, 16:18

There was that semi-awful 'back to Hamburg' CCCP record just before this (a single with Nigel "Nige" Kennedy too). With that 'energy' and a Costello collab what could go wrong? Did World Party die for nothing?

His tribute to John for the Lennon Aid thing or whatever (a medley of Love Me Do and PS I Love You) really put me off him for a while, until the BCB-fuelled Ram reappraisal at least.