John Coan's SHIT OR HIT 16

Do talk back

/X\

SHIT
18
86%
HIT
3
14%
 
Total votes: 21

User avatar
inside-out fox
hounds people off the board
Posts: 13247
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21

John Coan's SHIT OR HIT 16

Postby inside-out fox » 30 Jun 2017, 20:30

Jimbo wrote:You must read this along with the essay I posted and then keep wondering why America is so extreme.


Still Baron wrote:The essay that you posted was absolute nonsense and unworthy of further comment.

User avatar
Pat O'Banton
Utter Cad
Posts: 49939
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:22
Location: 16 Beasley Street

Re: John Coan's SHIT OR HIT 16

Postby Pat O'Banton » 30 Jun 2017, 20:34

It's a bright, clean New-Pop rip-off of Solsbury Hill - so close to PG's song that it loses quite a lot of its initial value once the "original" is heard.
Goat Boy wrote:TVc 15 rocks my world. The chorus makes me want to fuck a horse.

User avatar
Ranking Ted
Posts: 11613
Joined: 03 Feb 2004, 22:13
Location: Northern Britain

Re: John Coan's SHIT OR HIT 16

Postby Ranking Ted » 30 Jun 2017, 20:34

Even for someone with as big a penchant for cheesy 80s chart pop as me, this goes beyond the pale. Shit, without any doubt.

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 63375
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: John Coan's SHIT OR HIT 16

Postby Diamond Dog » 30 Jun 2017, 20:34

If it had been "What Is Love?" that would have been a HIT.

But this is SHIT.
I’ve been offered a position at cornerback for the Saints.If you’re reading, you have been offered a position too! Please accept the Saints’ offer because if you don’t,I’ll have to play alongside a cardboard cutout of Tracy Porter, a roomba and Cleatus.

User avatar
neville from norwich
cultural defective
Posts: 13644
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: carrot-munching towards woke-ness

Re: John Coan's SHIT OR HIT 16

Postby neville from norwich » 30 Jun 2017, 20:37

Irredeemable.
Diamond Dog wrote:I can only suggest you check the FB thread The Prof started about us - and see how well you did in that me old china.


K wrote:I am bald. I have one friend.


K wrote: (But I am happily married, John)


User avatar
Loki
The Goddess of Mischief
Posts: 14961
Joined: 18 Sep 2010, 06:34
Location: Canadia

Re: John Coan's SHIT OR HIT 16

Postby Loki » 30 Jun 2017, 21:45

Diamond Dog wrote:If it had been "What Is Love?" that would have been a HIT.



Right.

And it's very, VERY dated.

AND how can he say he doesn't want to be hip and cool with that haircut?
Image

Look up here, I'm in heaven


whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 59206
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12
Location: One quake away from beachfront property
Contact:

Re: John Coan's SHIT OR HIT 16

Postby sloopjohnc » 30 Jun 2017, 22:22

Never got Howard Jones who seemed like the Poor Man's Thomas Dolby who was the poor man's something.

There were one or two of his songs where I didn't turn it if it started playing on the radio.
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:I for one wouldn't want to know what memories and deep and dark forces drive Ed Sheeran, Coldplay, or Radiohead, for certain.

User avatar
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Posts: 25721
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 00:01
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: John Coan's SHIT OR HIT 16

Postby toomanyhatz » 30 Jun 2017, 23:56

"Solsbury Hill" indeed. Without the quirky time signature changes or the acoustic textures or the warm vocal performance. No thanks.
The Great Defector wrote:I still stand by if other people are doing as opposition or its just an everyday day thing, doesn't mean you have to or should do. Work away like, I'm just get your problem.


1959 1963 1965 1981 1988 2017?

User avatar
slightbreeze
Can I Get To Widnes?
Posts: 9591
Joined: 03 Sep 2003, 20:07
Location: facing the computer
Contact:

Re: John Coan's SHIT OR HIT 16

Postby slightbreeze » 01 Jul 2017, 00:04

Absolutely dreadful. If you could sum up all that was awful in the '80's, this would be it. So dated in sound and production (didn't someone say that the 80's discovered technology but unfortunately didn't know how to use it ), pretentious lyrics, a haircut that makes Limahl look sedate and a mime artist as well.

User avatar
The Modernist
Posts: 8364
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: John Coan's SHIT OR HIT 16

Postby The Modernist » 01 Jul 2017, 10:21

Hated it then and it barely sounds any better now. Difficult to say why it's so dislikable; something to do with the combination of its thin, cheap sounding production, the sound of those keyboards and the inane "positivity" of Mr Jones with his nasal vocal and children's tv presenter clothes. When he, Nik Kershaw and Kajagoogoo all had hits within about a month of each other you knew new pop was over. A SHIT then.

User avatar
inside-out fox
hounds people off the board
Posts: 13247
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21

Re: John Coan's SHIT OR HIT 16

Postby inside-out fox » 01 Jul 2017, 10:42

The Modernist wrote:When he, Nik Kershaw and Kajagoogoo all had hits within about a month of each other you knew new pop was over. A SHIT then.


Leave Kajagoogoo alone! :x


Unanimous dislike for this one, then! Nice to see BCB drop its 'if you don't have anything nice to say....' approach for a change.

I have to say I find it puzzling that this one was a hit. Did Howie play it at Live Aid?
Jimbo wrote:You must read this along with the essay I posted and then keep wondering why America is so extreme.


Still Baron wrote:The essay that you posted was absolute nonsense and unworthy of further comment.

User avatar
The Modernist
Posts: 8364
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: John Coan's SHIT OR HIT 16

Postby The Modernist » 01 Jul 2017, 11:24

I seem to remember he did. I don't really know where he came from. At the time he seemed like the major label version of new pop.

User avatar
fange
Posts: 10634
Joined: 20 Jan 2010, 11:30
Location: 香港

Re: John Coan's SHIT OR HIT 16

Postby fange » 01 Jul 2017, 11:38

Thanks so much for reminding me of it, JC. :x

Horrible. The sad thing is that it's trying SO hard to be melodic, but simply can't find a decent hook.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.


By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

User avatar
The Modernist
Posts: 8364
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: John Coan's SHIT OR HIT 16

Postby The Modernist » 01 Jul 2017, 11:55

fange wrote:Thanks so much for reminding me of it, JC. :x

Horrible. The sad thing is that it's trying SO hard to be melodic, but simply can't find a decent hook.


It is catchy, but not in a way that I find in any way attractive. It's actually pretty similar to early Depeche Mode hits when you break it down. But whereas I can really enjoy " Just Can't Get Enough" (in small doses anyway), I really dislike this. Such are the vagaries of pop..

Bent Fabric
Posts: 1832
Joined: 22 Jul 2014, 21:38

Re: John Coan's SHIT OR HIT 16

Postby Bent Fabric » 01 Jul 2017, 13:16

There IS something about Jones' in "upbeat mode" that is a bit like your mum telling you that everything's going to be okay when you're trying to tell her that you've been attacked by wolves and they've eaten the family dog.

I can't really say why he irks me so (I mean, hopelessly fey or not, something like "What is Love?" seems to exist with SOME purpose), but this is him at his toe curling worst.

And boy do I not like "Solsbury Hill".

User avatar
The Modernist
Posts: 8364
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: John Coan's SHIT OR HIT 16

Postby The Modernist » 01 Jul 2017, 13:18

Bent Fabric wrote:There IS something about Jones' in "upbeat mode" that is a bit like your mum telling you that everything's going to be okay when you're trying to tell her that you've been attacked by wolves and they've eaten the family dog.
.


:lol: :lol: Love it.

User avatar
inside-out fox
hounds people off the board
Posts: 13247
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21

Re: John Coan's SHIT OR HIT 16

Postby inside-out fox » 01 Jul 2017, 14:37

Yeah.

I hope the fucker sticks around for a bit longer THIS TIME :x
Jimbo wrote:You must read this along with the essay I posted and then keep wondering why America is so extreme.


Still Baron wrote:The essay that you posted was absolute nonsense and unworthy of further comment.

User avatar
Tina_F
Posts: 12
Joined: 11 Feb 2015, 13:50

Re: John Coan's SHIT OR HIT 16

Postby Tina_F » 01 Jul 2017, 15:29

Bent Fabric wrote:(I mean, hopelessly fey or not, something like "What is Love?" seems to exist with SOME purpose)

OMG, I still love that one so much! 1983 with a purpose.

User avatar
neville from norwich
cultural defective
Posts: 13644
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: carrot-munching towards woke-ness

Re: John Coan's SHIT OR HIT 16

Postby neville from norwich » 01 Jul 2017, 15:35

I think some of you lot need to throw off your mental chains.
Diamond Dog wrote:I can only suggest you check the FB thread The Prof started about us - and see how well you did in that me old china.


K wrote:I am bald. I have one friend.


K wrote: (But I am happily married, John)


User avatar
fange
Posts: 10634
Joined: 20 Jan 2010, 11:30
Location: 香港

Re: John Coan's SHIT OR HIT 16

Postby fange » 01 Jul 2017, 15:56

The Modernist wrote: It's actually pretty similar to early Depeche Mode hits when you break it down. But whereas I can really enjoy " Just Can't Get Enough" (in small doses anyway), I really dislike this. Such are the vagaries of pop..

Yes, good call; it does bring to mind similarities with songs like 'Everything Counts' and 'People are People' on a couple of levels. But 'Just Can't Get Enough' is certainly a cut above as a single.


The Savage Young Gash wrote:I think some of you lot need to throw off your mental chains.


What mental chains would these be, gashy?
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.


By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!