John Coan's SHIT OR HIT 15

Do talk back

xxxxx

SHIT
16
47%
HIT
18
53%
 
Total votes: 34

User avatar
Dr. B. Eef
hounds people off the board
Posts: 12746
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21

John Coan's SHIT OR HIT 15

Postby Dr. B. Eef » 24 Jun 2017, 13:15

The Savage Young Gash wrote:Who needs dancing when you have sports and fresh Californian produce?

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 62648
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: John Coan's SHIT OR HIT 15

Postby Diamond Dog » 24 Jun 2017, 13:19

:lol:
Diamond Dog wrote:I've just backed "Conservatives With No Overall Majority" at 4/1. So there!

User avatar
The Savage Young Gash
cultural defective
Posts: 12875
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: standing around, exchanging tales and mischief...

Re: John Coan's SHIT OR HIT 15

Postby The Savage Young Gash » 24 Jun 2017, 13:20

Beautiful stuff. Another 70s Madeleine.

HIT
Dogshit wrote:I'd like to say I;d never resort to bombs - but I;m not sure I can ever truly walk in those shoes


Dogshit wrote:I do find the inclusion of women unsavoury


Dogshit wrote:Did either Duck Dunn or James Jefferson change music irrevocably?


User avatar
Dr. B. Eef
hounds people off the board
Posts: 12746
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21

Re: John Coan's SHIT OR HIT 15

Postby Dr. B. Eef » 24 Jun 2017, 13:25

It's exquisite, isn't it?
The Savage Young Gash wrote:Who needs dancing when you have sports and fresh Californian produce?

User avatar
Loki
The Goddess of Mischief
Posts: 14805
Joined: 18 Sep 2010, 06:34
Location: Canadia

Re: John Coan's SHIT OR HIT 15

Postby Loki » 24 Jun 2017, 14:31

Diamond Dog wrote::lol:

The song, or John's avatar?
Image

Look up here, I'm in heaven


whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

User avatar
fange
Posts: 10456
Joined: 20 Jan 2010, 11:30
Location: 香港

Re: John Coan's SHIT OR HIT 15

Postby fange » 24 Jun 2017, 15:22

Oh man, Cetera's voice ... :evil:

Musically there's a lot there that in other contexts I would be more than happy to enjoy, but PC's voice is a major deal breaker.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.


By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

User avatar
Charlie O.
Posts: 37348
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:53
Location: In-A-Badda-La-Wadda, bay-beh

Re: John Coan's SHIT OR HIT 15

Postby Charlie O. » 24 Jun 2017, 15:44

fange wrote:Oh man, Cetera's voice ... :evil:

Musically there's a lot there that in other contexts I would be more than happy to enjoy, but PC's voice is a major deal breaker.

I know exactly where you're coming from, but... here's a rare example of it working for me.

HIT
Image

User avatar
Mike Boom
Posts: 2365
Joined: 02 Sep 2005, 03:49

Re: John Coan's SHIT OR HIT 15

Postby Mike Boom » 24 Jun 2017, 15:47

There are a lot of great 70's hits from Chicago that I love, this is not one of them, its absolute 24 Karat Shit

Bent Fabric
Posts: 1717
Joined: 22 Jul 2014, 21:38

Re: John Coan's SHIT OR HIT 15

Postby Bent Fabric » 24 Jun 2017, 16:10

Hit all the way.

I've always considered it their/his "Michelle".

User avatar
Ranking Ted
Posts: 11583
Joined: 03 Feb 2004, 22:13
Location: Northern Britain

Re: John Coan's SHIT OR HIT 15

Postby Ranking Ted » 24 Jun 2017, 16:11

Probably one of the easiest yet. Lightning in a bottle as it shouldn't really be my bag, but it is.

HIT

User avatar
Still Baron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 41538
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Nationwide

Re: John Coan's SHIT OR HIT 15

Postby Still Baron » 24 Jun 2017, 16:22

I like it much better than "Eye of the Tiger," and I didn't call THAT shit.
toomanyhatz wrote:I honestly don't care for most Beach Boys car songs

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

User avatar
ThE rEd HeIfEr HaS gOoD tAsTe In MuSiC
Fucking Crackers
Posts: 14321
Joined: 31 Aug 2003, 01:28
Location: South Penriff
Contact:

Re: John Coan's SHIT OR HIT 15

Postby ThE rEd HeIfEr HaS gOoD tAsTe In MuSiC » 25 Jun 2017, 01:15

It was the start of something shit but my word what a song. Hit!
Goat Boy wrote:Fuck me (please note: this is not a request, I am merely expressing exasperation)

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 62648
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: John Coan's SHIT OR HIT 15

Postby Diamond Dog » 25 Jun 2017, 17:20

Loki wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote::lol:

The song, or John's avatar?


I stopped laughing at Ken Dodd many years ago.... but "IYLMN" is an eternal source of merriment.
Diamond Dog wrote:I've just backed "Conservatives With No Overall Majority" at 4/1. So there!

User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 3167
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: John Coan's SHIT OR HIT 15

Postby Darkness_Fish » 25 Jun 2017, 20:43

I'm going to surprise everyone here, by declaring this to be absolute drivel, an utterly wretched excuse for a damp fart.

No John, it isn't Clock DVA, is it? (pre-emptive passive-aggressiveness required).
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82

User avatar
teenageriot-1
Posts: 44
Joined: 05 Jun 2017, 01:31

Re: John Coan's SHIT OR HIT 15

Postby teenageriot-1 » 25 Jun 2017, 21:19

HIT. A classic.
"I'm always happy. I'm my mother's daughter!" - Jamie Buchman

User avatar
Pat O'Banton
Utter Cad
Posts: 49869
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:22
Location: 16 Beasley Street

Re: John Coan's SHIT OR HIT 15

Postby Pat O'Banton » 25 Jun 2017, 22:00

Awful.
Goat Boy wrote:TVc 15 rocks my world. The chorus makes me want to fuck a horse.

User avatar
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Posts: 25436
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 00:01
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: John Coan's SHIT OR HIT 15

Postby toomanyhatz » 25 Jun 2017, 23:05

Beginning of the Cetera takeover though it may be (which I guess is what BK is getting at), it's certainly inoffensive, particularly compared how that particular benchmark would soon go. Easily hit, though it might have made one wary at the time.
Jimbo wrote:A discredited and shady online publication which gets its information straight from Vladmir Putin himself has accused our hometown good boy Toomanyhatz of belonging to an online band of junkies and McDonald's eaters.
.
1959 1963 1965 1981 1988 2017?

User avatar
The Modernist
Posts: 7913
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: John Coan's SHIT OR HIT 15

Postby The Modernist » 26 Jun 2017, 10:07

Charlie O. wrote:
fange wrote:Oh man, Cetera's voice ... :evil:

Musically there's a lot there that in other contexts I would be more than happy to enjoy, but PC's voice is a major deal breaker.

I know exactly where you're coming from, HIT


I don't. It just sounds like a "normal" good voice to me, it's not like he's singing like Geddy Lee or something. Can't see why it would be a deal breaker.
I've always loved the record (albeit it probably took a few years to be honest enough to admit that to myself). It's a genius arrangement, like Bacharach at his best.
HIT
.

User avatar
fange
Posts: 10456
Joined: 20 Jan 2010, 11:30
Location: 香港

Re: John Coan's SHIT OR HIT 15

Postby fange » 26 Jun 2017, 11:56

The Modernist wrote:
Charlie O. wrote:
fange wrote:Oh man, Cetera's voice ... :evil:

Musically there's a lot there that in other contexts I would be more than happy to enjoy, but PC's voice is a major deal breaker.

I know exactly where you're coming from, HIT


I don't. It just sounds like a "normal" good voice to me, it's not like he's singing like Geddy Lee or something. Can't see why it would be a deal breaker.
I've always loved the record (albeit it probably took a few years to be honest enough to admit that to myself). It's a genius arrangement, like Bacharach at his best.
HIT
.

I really really don't like his voice; it's that simple.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.


By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

User avatar
Charlie O.
Posts: 37348
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:53
Location: In-A-Badda-La-Wadda, bay-beh

Re: John Coan's SHIT OR HIT 15

Postby Charlie O. » 26 Jun 2017, 16:08

fange wrote:
The Modernist wrote:
Charlie O. wrote:I know exactly where you're coming from

I don't. It just sounds like a "normal" good voice to me, it's not like he's singing like Geddy Lee or something. Can't see why it would be a deal breaker.

I really really don't like his voice; it's that simple.

While I like a number of (early) Chicago records that Cetera sang lead on, it's usually in spite of his singing, and I don't think it's ever because of it.

It's hard to say exactly how much of that revulsion is a reaction to the actual physical properties of his voice and how much is down to what he does with it, but it's surely mostly the latter. There's a certain homely whiter-than-white guy who imagines he's being really soulful and sexy (and maybe even funky sometimes) thing coming off him. If you could genetically engineer an MOR big ballad singer, you'd probably come up with a Peter Cetera.

His Ooooh!s - not the Ooooo-oooo-oooooohs in "IYLMN" which are part of the melody, but his ad-libbed Ooooh!s in other songs (and he does that a lot) - sound like Les Nessman from WKRP In Cincinnati getting goosed.
Image


Return to “Yakety Yak”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot] and 4 guests