61%
HIT
39%

Total votes: 36

fange

Re: John Coan's SHIT OR HIT 14

Postby fange » 22 Jun 2017, 11:42

^^
Yes, true that. Maybe because the kids (or even the adults) have more/other avenues to express themselves creatively these days with I.T., computer/console games, software development, CGI etc. many of the most driven and creative ones might think that rock and pop is pretty much at a creative cul de sac.

I wish more artists and bands with personality and drive and talent and the whole thing would grab and light up the charts again like they used to until recently, someone who is the real deal to write and play HIT songs. Not Bruno Mars or Pharrell or Coldplay.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 22 Jun 2017, 11:47

Yeah, I'm sure plenty of talented, creative kids are exploring other avenues these days. Back in t'day when popular music was The Thing it drew all these people into its orbit
Copehead wrote:You are making a fool of yourself.

Muskrat wrote:I'm undemonstrative during shows; no matter how much I enjoy them. People who get up and move around ("dance," if they will) strike me as show-offs

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 22 Jun 2017, 12:13

The Savage Young Gash wrote:Aluminium light.

You've said a lot!

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 22 Jun 2017, 12:17

toomanyhatz wrote:I like that the singer ended up doing the "Real Men of Genius" ad campaign. Doesn't make the song any better, mind. I'm glad he has a sense of humor, but I still voted "shit."

this is the ad i always think of.

but now i somehow mix it up with the final countdown.

inside-out fox
hounds people off the board

Postby inside-out fox » 22 Jun 2017, 13:11

Goat Boy wrote:I’d take it over that Jonny Winter abortion any day of the week.

As I get older I find myself liking this sorta thing more. I like its boldness, its ambition. It’s people trying to write a HIT SONG you know and I appreciate that. It takes guts to do that because there’s nowhere to hide.

I wish more songwriters would try and write HIT SONGS. I think the world would be a better place

YES

<3
Jimbo wrote:You must read this along with the essay I posted and then keep wondering why America is so extreme.

Still Baron wrote:The essay that you posted was absolute nonsense and unworthy of further comment.

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 22 Jun 2017, 13:15

It's very of its time.
I used to love it, then I used to scorn it and I used to be indifferent and now I just don't mind it. I might even like it if I listen to it again.
A bit like Rocky III.
I run out of talent

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 22 Jun 2017, 17:39

I like dumb pop metal like this and Loverboy. Plus, I always associate this with Rocky.

Hit!
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:I for one wouldn't want to know what memories and deep and dark forces drive Ed Sheeran, Coldplay, or Radiohead, for certain.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 22 Jun 2017, 17:40

WG Kaspar wrote:It's very of its time.
I used to love it, then I used to scorn it and I used to be indifferent and now I just don't mind it. I might even like it if I listen to it again.
A bit like Rocky III.

Exactly.
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:I for one wouldn't want to know what memories and deep and dark forces drive Ed Sheeran, Coldplay, or Radiohead, for certain.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 22 Jun 2017, 18:49

As I get older I find myself liking this sorta thing more. I like its boldness, its ambition. It’s people trying to write a HIT SONG you know and I appreciate that. It takes guts to do that because there’s nowhere to hide.

I wish more songwriters would try and write HIT SONGS. I think the world would be a better place

When I hear so much contemporary pop it sounds melodically undernourished. I read somewhere that they'd done a survey of pop music over the last 50 years and found that today's music uses far less variety of notes than at any time in the past. I can well believe it.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 22 Jun 2017, 19:18

You got a link, G?
Copehead wrote:You are making a fool of yourself.

Muskrat wrote:I'm undemonstrative during shows; no matter how much I enjoy them. People who get up and move around ("dance," if they will) strike me as show-offs

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 22 Jun 2017, 21:47

The Modernist wrote:

When I hear so much contemporary pop it sounds melodically undernourished. I read somewhere that they'd done a survey of pop music over the last 50 years and found that today's music uses far less variety of notes than at any time in the past. I can well believe it.

That doesn't surprise me. Early rock 'n' rollers were inventing the stuff and using all kinds of sources besides simple rhythm and blues. Current pop music is like animals eating their vomit over and over again. Plus, it's way more beat based with hip-hop as the leading genre that informs lots of stuff.

inside-out fox

Postby inside-out fox » 22 Jun 2017, 21:54

But today, in genres where melody is more prevalent, you often get the sense that songwriters are shying away from making big and bold musical statements. There's a reluctance to paint with primary colours, to do the 'obvious' thing.

There are great tunes still to be written, of course. The well doesn't dry up.
Jimbo wrote:You must read this along with the essay I posted and then keep wondering why America is so extreme.

Still Baron wrote:The essay that you posted was absolute nonsense and unworthy of further comment.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 22 Jun 2017, 22:53

What the hell am I reading here?
This tune is garbage!
Have a BCB word with yourself, BCB
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 22 Jun 2017, 22:58

It's only BLOODY ACE
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 22 Jun 2017, 22:58

Doctor Ian Le wrote:But today, in genres where melody is more prevalent, you often get the sense that songwriters are shying away from making big and bold musical statements. There's a reluctance to paint with primary colours, to do the 'obvious' thing.

Wasn't there a discussion on that too? That more hit songs were being written in minor chords?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 22 Jun 2017, 23:00

Count Machuki wrote:What the hell am I reading here?
This tune is garbage!

Writes the man who celebrates third wave ska.

inside-out fox

Postby inside-out fox » 22 Jun 2017, 23:06

sloopjohnc wrote:
Doctor Ian Le wrote:But today, in genres where melody is more prevalent, you often get the sense that songwriters are shying away from making big and bold musical statements. There's a reluctance to paint with primary colours, to do the 'obvious' thing.

Wasn't there a discussion on that too? That more hit songs were being written in minor chords?

I don't remember the discussion, but that would make sense.

Still - where are the huge pop hits that get the whole world singing? Has there been a 'Get Lucky' this year? I don't think I've heard it.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 22 Jun 2017, 23:33

sloopjohnc wrote:
Count Machuki wrote:What the hell am I reading here?
This tune is garbage!

Writes the man who celebrates third wave ska.

:x

is that any way to talk to a veteran of the 3rd Wave Ska Wars?!
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 23 Jun 2017, 08:41

I get the sense Machuki's gravestone will end "... but he liked 3rd wave ska".
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82