tales of disc-dealing derring-do

Do talk back
User avatar
Ragye
Posts: 437
Joined: 22 Oct 2013, 08:22

tales of disc-dealing derring-do

Postby Ragye » 15 Jun 2017, 19:18

While I've been mightily entertained by the thought of my record collection's discogs diaspora (https://www.discogs.com/seller/dyinglight/profile) reaching out to every continent (bar Africa, so far) including Peru, Chile, Singapore, NZ, Kanadee and Switzerland, as well as nations better-known for their rocking and rolling, and well-remunerated (twice got £225 for singles, for instance), by far the most heartwarming came today when a guy who ordered the first two Stockholm Monsters singles confided that he was the nephew of the France brothers, who formed the band, but had never bothered to keep any of their records.
once an adman, always a cunt

all / Life death does end and each day dies with sleep

User avatar
kewl klive
cultural defective
Posts: 13926
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: pivoting towards woke-ness

Re: tales of disc-dealing derring-do

Postby kewl klive » 16 Jun 2017, 12:20

I sold something to Gary "Sean Flynn" Barnacle. Beat that!
Diamond Dog wrote:RIP Jake. A tough, tough, tough man. A man you really didn't want to get into a street brawl with.


Hodgson wrote:John posted a picture of me which he'd doctored nastily


User avatar
Fonz
Posts: 3154
Joined: 17 Feb 2014, 14:10
Location: Nevermore

Re: tales of disc-dealing derring-do

Postby Fonz » 16 Jun 2017, 12:31

The Savage Young Gash wrote:I sold something to Gary "Sean Flynn" Barnacle. Beat that!



Of the Barnacle Brothers?
They were in Spear of Destiny for a while, after things went downhill I think...
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

User avatar
kewl klive
cultural defective
Posts: 13926
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: pivoting towards woke-ness

Re: tales of disc-dealing derring-do

Postby kewl klive » 16 Jun 2017, 12:34

Yeah I think he was sax-slinger to the stars in those days.
Diamond Dog wrote:RIP Jake. A tough, tough, tough man. A man you really didn't want to get into a street brawl with.


Hodgson wrote:John posted a picture of me which he'd doctored nastily


User avatar
Ragye
Posts: 437
Joined: 22 Oct 2013, 08:22

Re: tales of disc-dealing derring-do

Postby Ragye » 16 Jun 2017, 15:00

The Savage Young Gash wrote:I sold something to Gary "Sean Flynn" Barnacle. Beat that!


Meh, unless it was something he played on. That LP Hartley moment.
once an adman, always a cunt

all / Life death does end and each day dies with sleep

User avatar
kewl klive
cultural defective
Posts: 13926
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: pivoting towards woke-ness

Re: tales of disc-dealing derring-do

Postby kewl klive » 16 Jun 2017, 15:07

It was! *

*It wasn't.
Diamond Dog wrote:RIP Jake. A tough, tough, tough man. A man you really didn't want to get into a street brawl with.


Hodgson wrote:John posted a picture of me which he'd doctored nastily


User avatar
Dayodead
Posts: 104
Joined: 15 May 2015, 21:39

Re: tales of disc-dealing derring-do

Postby Dayodead » 16 Jun 2017, 18:53

If I were collecting vinyl, you would be getting a ton of my money right now, Ray... Great stuff on there...

User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 10866
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: deepest Devon
Contact:

Re: tales of disc-dealing derring-do

Postby Rayge » 09 Oct 2017, 21:02

So, like a good little fan, I went out and bought the third VU album when it came out. As it turns out this was a good move, as I got this version https://www.discogs.com/The-Velvet-Unde ... se/3224639 with the horizontally split back and different mix to all other copies, with a different take of Some Kinda Love – apparently the wrong master was sent to the UK. I had no idea I had a rarity – as far as I was concerned, that was the release. Just 600 copies pressed.
Hurrah!
You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

User avatar
The Modernist
Posts: 8699
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: tales of disc-dealing derring-do

Postby The Modernist » 09 Oct 2017, 21:06

Rayge wrote:So, like a good little fan, I went out and bought the third VU album when it came out. As it turns out this was a good move, as I got this version https://www.discogs.com/The-Velvet-Unde ... se/3224639 with the horizontally split back and different mix to all other copies, with a different take of Some Kinda Love – apparently the wrong master was sent to the UK. I had no idea I had a rarity – as far as I was concerned, that was the release. Just 600 copies pressed.
Hurrah!


Would you take a fiver?

User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 10866
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: deepest Devon
Contact:

Re: tales of disc-dealing derring-do

Postby Rayge » 09 Oct 2017, 21:07

The Modernist wrote:
Rayge wrote:So, like a good little fan, I went out and bought the third VU album when it came out. As it turns out this was a good move, as I got this version https://www.discogs.com/The-Velvet-Unde ... se/3224639 with the horizontally split back and different mix to all other copies, with a different take of Some Kinda Love – apparently the wrong master was sent to the UK. I had no idea I had a rarity – as far as I was concerned, that was the release. Just 600 copies pressed.
Hurrah!


Would you take a fiver?

Certainly, providing you didn't want anything in return
You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

User avatar
The Modernist
Posts: 8699
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: tales of disc-dealing derring-do

Postby The Modernist » 09 Oct 2017, 21:08

That's not fair!