Your 5 favourite 'punk' songs

Do talk back
Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Re: Your 5 favourite 'punk' songs

Postby Penk! » 08 Mar 2019, 13:48

To be fair a lot of that US hardcore and punk does have this vague air of sweat and petrol. They took everything so seriously.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 08 Mar 2019, 13:49

The Modernist wrote:Look at at someone like Henry Rollins.

I'd rather not, if it's all the same. I get your point there, Rollins has become some kid of over-muscled figurehead of the hardcore scene, perhaps akin to a slightly more intellectual Danzig. But he certainly fits the timeframe for the likes of Poison Ivy and Lydia Lunch that you're dismissing from fange's list.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 08 Mar 2019, 13:53

PENK wrote:To be fair a lot of that US hardcore and punk does have this vague air of sweat and petrol. They took everything so seriously.

But surely the point is that some did, and some didn't. And to apply the broad brush stroke criticism of masculinity and male-exclusivity purely at a particular genre, when that could easily apply to many male-dominated genres, it doesn't sit well with me.

Is it all Rollins? What else fits in this definition of muscled aggressive bastardry?
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 08 Mar 2019, 13:57

Darkness_Fish wrote:
PENK wrote:To be fair a lot of that US hardcore and punk does have this vague air of sweat and petrol. They took everything so seriously.

But surely the point is that some did, and some didn't. And to apply the broad brush stroke criticism of masculinity and male-exclusivity purely at a particular genre, when that could easily apply to many male-dominated genres, it doesn't sit well with me.

Is it all Rollins? What else fits in this definition of muscled aggressive bastardry?

Same. It's very pat, simplistic.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 08 Mar 2019, 14:11

He is conflating Black Flag (and maybe Rollins BAnd) with all US punk. If that is a valid move, then he’s got a point. But it isn’t.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 08 Mar 2019, 14:23

Darkness_Fish wrote:
The Modernist wrote:Look at at someone like Henry Rollins.

I'd rather not, if it's all the same. I get your point there, Rollins has become some kid of over-muscled figurehead of the hardcore scene, perhaps akin to a slightly more intellectual Danzig. But he certainly fits the timeframe for the likes of Poison Ivy and Lydia Lunch that you're dismissing from fange's list.

I'm dismissing it because The Cramps and Tennage Jesus have nothing to do with 80s harcore and punk.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 08 Mar 2019, 14:38

Straight Edge! Straight Edge! We are straight edge!
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 08 Mar 2019, 20:04

fange wrote:
The Modernist wrote:Oh I've had that many a time, believe me. It's usually said in a humorous way, but there's an interesting sub-text there.

I've never implied anything of the sort! :lol:

Oh I certainly have, he called one of my old BCB Cup lists too "macho" so I called him Germaine Greer :lol:

It's just a criticism that makes me feel uncomfortable, like the idea of overt masculinity in the first place. I'm not a particularly tough bloke, I mean I do blokey stuff and swear like anything, but the idea of going out of my way to be more masculine just makes my skin crawl. Plus it seems to reminds me of ideas of "boys music" and "girls music" which has also given me grief in the past from former workmates.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 09 Mar 2019, 01:19

I had one foot in the 80s (U.S.) hardcore scene and I hereby attest that various orthodoxies dominated it to the point where it got really boring, really fast.

For every Minutemen or Meat Puppets, there seemed to be 100 identical-sounding and -looking cookie-cutter enterprises sucking up an inordinate amount of "bandwidth," as it were (sorry).

Sorely lacking in diversity, it atrophied and I lost interest.

The end.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.