Elvis's posthumous popularity is plummeting

Do talk back
kewl klive
cultural defective

Re: Elvis's posthumous popularity is plummeting

Postby kewl klive » 19 May 2017, 11:14

Nowt in the last 10 years then? Suppose that confirms the plummeting posthumous popularity.
Diamond Dog wrote:RIP Jake. A tough, tough, tough man. A man you really didn't want to get into a street brawl with.

Bald and Boring Kal wrote:John posted a picture of me which he'd doctored nastily

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 19 May 2017, 11:15

Moleskin wrote:
clive gash wrote:Has he ever been on a Mojo/Uncut cover?

The Guralnick books chipped away at the iconography, humanised him, but his is work from another age (60 years ago!).

As to your first question - twice on Mojo based on a quick image search. Never on Uncut.

As to your second - I wonder how Elvis compares against other 50s artists - Buddy & Chuck for instance. Presumably he's a lot bigger on Spotify etc, probably than the two of them put together.

He was on the cover of an early issue of Uncut. Photo from 68 comeback show.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 19 May 2017, 11:18

clive gash wrote:Nowt in the last 10 years then? Suppose that confirms the plummeting posthumous popularity.

If I Can Dream was out 2015

The Wonder of You 2016. sold to date 725,000

kewl klive
cultural defective

Postby kewl klive » 19 May 2017, 11:19

Both released in the run up to Xmas. As I said, Granny-nip.
Diamond Dog wrote:RIP Jake. A tough, tough, tough man. A man you really didn't want to get into a street brawl with.

Bald and Boring Kal wrote:John posted a picture of me which he'd doctored nastily

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 19 May 2017, 11:30

clive gash wrote:Both released in the run up to Xmas. As I said, Granny-nip.

you also said nowt in the last ten years.

kewl klive
cultural defective

Postby kewl klive » 19 May 2017, 11:35

clive gash wrote:Nowt in the last 10 years then?

Cheers.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 19 May 2017, 11:37

'O' wrote:

Hm. Good question.

I guess not.

Perhaps it's not the old and infirm that are buying the Elvis tat then?
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82

kewl klive
cultural defective

Postby kewl klive » 19 May 2017, 11:40

:)

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 19 May 2017, 14:40

we cancelled an Elvis show and put on a Beatles show here at ASO this very weekend
I haven't asked, but I'm sure it's because of the popularity plummeting
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

nathan
submitted for your approval

Postby nathan » 19 May 2017, 16:51

I would imagine people under 24 would see him the way we saw Bing Crosby. Granted, I love Bing (and Elvis!) but to expect his style of recordings to live on in the same way as the Beatles or eve Bowie is ludicrous. His records sounded 'old' before the end of the 60's.

Outside of his initial splash, he never was a groundbreaking recording artist. The thrill of him existing was probably exclusive to baby boomers. Once they are gone, he will go the way of Der Bingle.

Darryl Strawberry

Postby Darryl Strawberry » 19 May 2017, 16:53

Moleskin wrote:
Could we put together a 'hip' Elvis CD from his later career? One that avoids too many of the obvious hits?

1. I'm Leaving
2. Edge of Reality
3. Charro
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
John Coan, with nothing else to do, wrote:I just Googled his name!

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 19 May 2017, 16:58

nathan wrote:I would imagine people under 24 would see him the way we saw Bing Crosby. Granted, I love Bing (and Elvis!) but to expect his style of recordings to live on in the same way as the Beatles or eve Bowie is ludicrous. His records sounded 'old' before the end of the 60's.

Outside of his initial splash, he never was a groundbreaking recording artist. The thrill of him existing was probably exclusive to baby boomers. Once they are gone, he will go the way of Der Bingle.

There's truth in this. I mean the Sun recordings must sound archaic to millennials.
Lord Rother wrote:Missing the sublime sense of melody which David Longdon brought to the group but nonetheless a damn fine album.

Big Big Train - Goodbye To The Age of Steam

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 19 May 2017, 17:22

Goat Boy wrote:
nathan wrote:I would imagine people under 24 would see him the way we saw Bing Crosby. Granted, I love Bing (and Elvis!) but to expect his style of recordings to live on in the same way as the Beatles or eve Bowie is ludicrous. His records sounded 'old' before the end of the 60's.

There's truth in this. I mean the Sun recordings must sound archaic to millennials.

OK, but millennials and middle-aged hipsters now sound more archaic, obsolete, and unteresting to me than The Sun Collection ever can sound to these demographic groups.

Time is circular, not one-directional.
The invisible and the non-existing very much look alike.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 19 May 2017, 17:29

Not to mention that rock music in general sounds archaic to today's hip hop/pop-loving teens.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 19 May 2017, 18:23

Velvis wrote:I think he seems to many younger people be an obsession of unhip, rural people. The kind who voted for Trump. Those associations tend to drag him down. However, a lot of younger people like Johnny Cash. Johny had the good taste to have lived longer and cover NiN and Nick Cave.

I think this has some truth in it. Elvis is getting a bit of a rebrand as a mainstream fixture, while Cash, Little Richard and Hank Williams will ALWAYS be cool.
Jimbo wrote:The Natural Times said no matter, essentially we are all doomed.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 19 May 2017, 19:11

bobzilla77 wrote:
Velvis wrote:I think he seems to many younger people be an obsession of unhip, rural people. The kind who voted for Trump. Those associations tend to drag him down. However, a lot of younger people like Johnny Cash. Johny had the good taste to have lived longer and cover NiN and Nick Cave.

I think this has some truth in it. Elvis is getting a bit of a rebrand as a mainstream fixture, while Cash, Little Richard and Hank Williams will ALWAYS be cool.

I think this is a temporary snapshot of this moment.

Eventually some network will do a tv series about young Elvis with some heartthrob with good hair in the lead - and he'll be popular again.

Elvis may be from the black and white world, but he's become iconography. Like James Dean and Marilyn Monroe, he works on a poster.

He'll be back.
Marginal BCB contributor since 2006

Velvis
Mellowed down easy

Postby Velvis » 19 May 2017, 19:16

I don't see younger people showing much interest in Hank Williams or Little Richard either.

Johnny Cash and Ray Charles, from that era, have some legs. But maybe that has to do with recent biopics. All it will take is an Elvis biopic, probably, to jumpstart his back catalog. Yeah, there was "Elvis and Nixon", but that was sort of a goof. And a bomb.

Come to think of it, there was that recent Hank Williams film starring Tom Hiddleston. But that got panned by the critics.
a gibbon running freely

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 19 May 2017, 19:20

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:
bobzilla77 wrote:

I think this is a temporary snapshot of this moment.

Eventually some network will do a tv series about young Elvis with some heartthrob with good hair in the lead - and he'll be popular again.

Elvis may be from the black and white world, but he's become iconography. Like James Dean and Marilyn Monroe, he works on a poster.

He'll be back.

Yeah I don't think The Kids are buying posters of Dean or Monroe either.

I don't think he will be back sadly
Lord Rother wrote:Missing the sublime sense of melody which David Longdon brought to the group but nonetheless a damn fine album.

Big Big Train - Goodbye To The Age of Steam

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 19 May 2017, 19:44

Well...if they sold stock, I'd buy right now. Mass culture tends to mine itself.
Marginal BCB contributor since 2006

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 19 May 2017, 19:54

It will be interesting to see what 50s/ 60s music remains popularly known and referenced once all the people now living have died. But I won't be around to be interested.
Jimbo wrote:The Natural Times said no matter, essentially we are all doomed.