67%
HIT!
33%

Total votes: 15

KATANGA MY FRIEND!
hounds people off the board

John Coan's SHIT OR HIT 8

Postby KATANGA MY FRIEND! » 17 May 2017, 09:35

Jimbo wrote:I shake my head here at how pettily you behave, how narrowly you think, at your black and white view of current events

Jumper K

Re: John Coan's SHIT OR HIT 8

Postby Jumper K » 17 May 2017, 09:40

I aint losing sleep.

clive gash
Thanks Kate - I love it

Postby clive gash » 17 May 2017, 10:19

Diggin' the T Shirt. Enviable bod too. Nowhere near as much of a berk as Jagger.

We don't talk anymore about how Cliff has a good handful of transcendent pop moments, he was as much of a fixture on the new pop TOTP as Haircut 100, Adam and the Ants and Madness.

That's supposed to be a compliment :)
Diamond Dog wrote:I'd like to say I;d never resort to bombs - but I;m not sure I can ever truly 'walk in those shoes'?

Diamond Dog wrote:I do find the inclusion of women unsavoury, I must confess.

(meme here)

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 17 May 2017, 10:28

I will never say anything positive about Cliff ever, other than that "Move It" was ok.
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 17 May 2017, 13:11

It's a good one.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 17 May 2017, 13:40

Oh, this is a stone cold classic in my eyes.

KATANGA MY FRIEND!
hounds people off the board

Postby KATANGA MY FRIEND! » 17 May 2017, 16:03

I WOULD vote 'hit' but...

a) those fucking synths, those sounds, they really do sit on top of what is potentially a great song like pigeonshit on a statue

b) you get the sense that Cliff has absolutely no sense of humour whatsoever. Not that I'm expecting him to goon for the cameras like Robbie Williams, but there's always a twinkle missing somehow, and like Jagger there's a kind of business-like approach to his music (and his 'moves'!). He's kind of a tool and it's unignorable

You could send in a team of troubleshooters and overhaul the whole thing and end up with a classic, I reckon, but it'd need a lot of work.
Jimbo wrote:I shake my head here at how pettily you behave, how narrowly you think, at your black and white view of current events

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 17 May 2017, 16:35

For some reason, this song came into my head last week after nearly 30 years. No reason why - I couldn't stop singing the chorus.
Cryin' won't help you, prayin' won't do you no good. . .

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 17 May 2017, 17:00

I think it highlights how much performance and production can really elevate something. In this case it's the lack thereof of course. It's a good song but it suffers from some naff production choices and Cliffs characterless performance
Foxhound wrote:After all, I very clearly remember that growing up as a young white male offered me no advantages at all.

Lord Rother, talking about Big Big Train wrote:the best band on the planet right now

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 17 May 2017, 21:33

Alan Tarney's keyboard-sound wasn't too bad -I remember his version of Kathy's Clown- and it hasn't aged too badly either, i.e. it doesn't sound so over-the-top plastic like so many other 80s productions.
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

Return to “Yakety Yak”