What's the bestest box(ed) set in ya house?

Do talk back
Fonz

Re: What's the bestest box(ed) set in ya house?

Postby Fonz » 13 May 2017, 07:01

I've probably listened to 'Citizen Steely Dan' more than any other.

The Prestige, Complete Miles and Coltrane, and the 63-68 Quintet Miles boxes would be next.

Honourable mentions to 'Downside Up' (Siouxsie),'The Secret Jewel Box' (Steve Vai), and Satriani's Complete Studio Recordings. Oh, and 'The Heavyweight Champion' (Trane)
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 13 May 2017, 07:47

I have to say, the set that best made its case for the greatness of the artist when I heard it first is this one:

I suppose you can always quibble with song selection, but I don't know how a better overview of exactly what's so great about him could have been done in 4 discs. And it only peters out - and even then only a lttle - at the very end.

There's lots of sets that do something similar that I love, but I usually skip almost all of the last disc - most notably Stevie Wonder and the Isley Brothers have sets very much like that.

To me that's the ultimate job of a box set - to concisely state the case for the artist. There are 'complete' sets I like a lot - that Steely Dan one is nicely compact and spares you the awful reunion stuff - but they almost feel like a cheat somehow, especially for those with short peaks and/or careers.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 13 May 2017, 11:22

yomptepi wrote:Image

Wonderful music throughout. Great record label.

Faultless

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 13 May 2017, 21:33

I don't have much in the way of box sets, so this Throbbing Gristle set is the only serious contender I own:

Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 14 May 2017, 00:49

I love the Nuggets sets and the Fall Peel Sessions also but this might be my favorite.....

the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

algroth

Postby algroth » 14 May 2017, 02:59

I only have one:

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 14 May 2017, 05:38

toomanyhatz wrote:I have to say, the set that best made its case for the greatness of the artist when I heard it first is this one:

I suppose you can always quibble with song selection, but I don't know how a better overview of exactly what's so great about him could have been done in 4 discs. And it only peters out - and even then only a lttle - at the very end.

There's lots of sets that do something similar that I love, but I usually skip almost all of the last disc - most notably Stevie Wonder and the Isley Brothers have sets very much like that.

To me that's the ultimate job of a box set - to concisely state the case for the artist. There are 'complete' sets I like a lot - that Steely Dan one is nicely compact and spares you the awful reunion stuff - but they almost feel like a cheat somehow, especially for those with short peaks and/or careers.

Yep, that's the one for me too. It works because it establishes a clear narrative to his career, selects tracks which fit it, and leave just enough in storage to allow the listener to pursue different eras further (in particular, the 2-CD Foundations of Funk focuses on Brown in the mid-1960s, where he was creating a whole new kinda thing and so prolific that everything that came out sounded like a hit, even when it wasn't). Plus, it's well designed, and the liner notes are comprehensive without being overwritten. There are others already mentioned--such as Nuggets, The Fall's Complete Peel Sessions and the ongoing Bootleg Series by Dylan, and that Island Anthology--but I also want a shoutout to I Am The Upsetter, which collects Lee Perry in his imperial phase of production. Everything on that four-disc set sounds amazingly fresh and bright, but there's a savagery present too in many of the tracks, right from the accusatory vibe of the "title track" to the original recording of "Small Axe".

However, as much as I like Peel Slowly and See and Direction Reaction Creation, both of them are kind of cheating by including (almost) everything by the respective artists, and as such aren't really built for casual listening.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 14 May 2017, 05:39

toomanyhatz wrote:I have to say, the set that best made its case for the greatness of the artist when I heard it first is this one:

Yep, that's the one for me too. It works because it establishes a clear narrative to his career, selects tracks which fit it, and leave just enough in storage to allow the listener to pursue different eras further (in particular, the 2-CD Foundations of Funk focuses on Brown in the mid-1960s, where he was creating a whole new kinda thing and so prolific that everything that came out sounded like a hit, even when it wasn't). Plus, it's well designed, and the liner notes are comprehensive without being overwritten. There are others already mentioned--such as Nuggets, The Fall's Complete Peel Sessions and the ongoing Bootleg Series by Dylan, and that Island Anthology--but I also want a shoutout to I Am The Upsetter, which collects Lee Perry in his imperial phase of production. Everything on that four-disc set sounds amazingly fresh and bright, but there's a savagery present too in many of the tracks, right from the accusatory vibe of the "title track" to the original recording of "Small Axe". On another note, as much as I like Peel Slowly and See and Direction Reaction Creation, both of them are kind of cheating by including (almost) everything by the respective artists, and as such aren't really built for casual listening.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 14 May 2017, 20:16

algroth wrote:I only have one:

At least it's a bloody good one. Could have been improved by removing Paul Morley's essay, but that stands for anything which includes a Paul Morley essay.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

joels344

Postby joels344 » 14 May 2017, 20:35

I don't own many box sets, but this is my favorite out of what I own:

90s Cup Champion, The Prog Cup 2019 Champion

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 14 May 2017, 20:44

Well I have loads of the fuckers on mp3 that are pretty great, including many already mentioned,
but actually owning on vinyl is a toss-up between Jerry Lee's Sun / Bear Family set and this one, which wins out because there is absolutely no filler

In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 14 May 2017, 23:52

The first was Nuggets and it is still probably the best.
Incredible run of music must be 100 songs or so nearly all brilliant.

Heart and Soul, the Joy Division box set is impeccable

The fall Peel sessions is essential, usually better versions than those on the albums

Scared to be Happy is a great Indie box set from the 80s

I also have various 60s Girl Group box sets
Moorcock, Moorcock, Michael Moorcock, you fervently moan.

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 15 May 2017, 10:49

The JD is good, but like the Steely Dan one there is no separation between the albums.
Some of the live stuff is rough, and since it came out, they found some more stuff in the vaults, so it's not complete.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 15 May 2017, 14:32

This is also pretty terrific:

(notwithstanding editing off the first couple of seconds of 'My Friend Jack')
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 15 May 2017, 14:35

That Complete Miles Davis on Columbia, probably, but I'm way more likely to reach for one of the three Stax singles boxes
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 15 May 2017, 15:22

Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 15 May 2017, 17:50

On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 15 May 2017, 17:54

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 15 May 2017, 17:56

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 15 May 2017, 17:56

Return to “Yakety Yak”