soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Progressive Rock For Punk Rockers.

Postby soundchaser » 02 May 2017, 09:47

Let's find the level.

bobzilla77

Re: Progressive Rock For Punk Rockers.

Postby bobzilla77 » 03 May 2017, 23:53

Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 04 May 2017, 01:47

"Quite."

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 04 May 2017, 03:18

Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 04 May 2017, 07:21

I'm pretty sure John Lydon would have been enamoured with this, and they didn't come more punk than Robert Calvert.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 04 May 2017, 07:33

Some great choices, people, keep 'em coming.

And in the case of Refused and Random Hold, new to me.

Guru Guru, I know well, through your friend and mine, who has some very good cough medicine :D.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 04 May 2017, 09:15

Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 04 May 2017, 10:40

zoomboogity wrote:

Great band. Loved them. Gutted when the original line up split up.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 04 May 2017, 10:52

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

joels344

Postby joels344 » 04 May 2017, 16:02

90s Cup Champion, The Prog Cup 2019 Champion

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 04 May 2017, 17:08

I was never much of a Black Flag fan, but I saw one of their instrumental trio gigs when this EP came out. It was AMAZING. Ginn was taking these grooves and sending them into the stratosphere. I wouldn't mind hearing a recording of it if one ever turns up. It was at Club Lingerie in Hollywood, if that helps.

That Massacre album... just wow. A few bits that aren't on the original vinyl, but that's more to love. That bit at the 12:29 mark may be my favorite "turn it UP!" moment by anyone ever.

And if this was good enough for Johnny Rotten, it's good enough for the rest of us:

I love the arc of this album - it starts off all fuzzy 'n grindy (title track, Nobody's Business), goes soft to end the first side and start side two, then fuzzes out again for Birthday Special and Two Or Three Spectres (okay, Peter, tell us what you really think about the music business!). Seminal and robust? Without a doubt.

http://www.fodderstompf.com/ARCHIVES/IN ... /mm78.html

BRAZIER: "Don't you approve of any of the bands now, don't you think any of them have carried the flame? Don't you like anyone?"

LYDON: "Well, let's see, I like Peter Hammill's records, they're good fun, but I met him and I talked to him and I didn't like him as a person at all – I thought he was a big-mouthed middle-class cunt, I never understood a word he said. Who do I like? I like Neil Young, not 'After The Goldrush'-shit but the stuff where he experiments with sound. I love it, I like it a lot. Magma I liked for a period, but they've fallen apart. Tim Buckley I liked."

Hammill was interviewed in Trouser Press shortly after this. He quoted Lydon's opinion of him and just laughed. :lol:

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 04 May 2017, 17:23

clive gash wrote:

I prefer the live version:

Anyway, here's Gong/Here & Now:

GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

joels344

Postby joels344 » 04 May 2017, 18:09

zoomboogity wrote:I was never much of a Black Flag fan, but I saw one of their instrumental trio gigs when this EP came out. It was AMAZING. Ginn was taking these grooves and sending them into the stratosphere. I wouldn't mind hearing a recording of it if one ever turns up. It was at Club Lingerie in Hollywood, if that helps.

That Massacre album... just wow. A few bits that aren't on the original vinyl, but that's more to love. That bit at the 12:29 mark may be my favorite "turn it UP!" moment by anyone ever.

And if this was good enough for Johnny Rotten, it's good enough for the rest of us:

I love the arc of this album - it starts off all fuzzy 'n grindy (title track, Nobody's Business), goes soft to end the first side and start side two, then fuzzes out again for Birthday Special and Two Or Three Spectres (okay, Peter, tell us what you really think about the music business!). Seminal and robust? Without a doubt.

http://www.fodderstompf.com/ARCHIVES/IN ... /mm78.html

BRAZIER: "Don't you approve of any of the bands now, don't you think any of them have carried the flame? Don't you like anyone?"

LYDON: "Well, let's see, I like Peter Hammill's records, they're good fun, but I met him and I talked to him and I didn't like him as a person at all – I thought he was a big-mouthed middle-class cunt, I never understood a word he said. Who do I like? I like Neil Young, not 'After The Goldrush'-shit but the stuff where he experiments with sound. I love it, I like it a lot. Magma I liked for a period, but they've fallen apart. Tim Buckley I liked."

Hammill was interviewed in Trouser Press shortly after this. He quoted Lydon's opinion of him and just laughed. :lol:

That Massacre album is really something, isn't it? An album energetic and raw enough for punk rockers, but still maintains to be on complex and experimental side enough for prog rockers.

I knew Johnny Rotten liked Peter Hammill's music but for some reason never knew he liked Magma as well. Interesting!
90s Cup Champion, The Prog Cup 2019 Champion

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 04 May 2017, 18:09

Snarfyguy wrote:
Anyway, here's Gong/Here & Now:

was going to post opium for the people - this is better.

Good story on this album. I was a big fan of Gong in 77 and my punk brother would come home from NYC every weekend with new Punk albums to piss me off (although I like some of it at the time obvious more later). So he throws on "floating anarchy 77" and I made this typical this sucks comment without listen to hard. He then shows me the album and says but I thought you liked Gong. :lol: It woke me up to completely listening to music before commenting. After that I started liking more punk and new wave. :lol:

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 04 May 2017, 18:13

joels344 wrote:
I knew Johnny Rotten liked Peter Hammill's music but for some reason never knew he liked Magma as well. Interesting!

yes he liked Christian Vander and thought he was one of the best drummers. I'm not surprised recently that he made that comment about Magma losing their way. :lol:

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 04 May 2017, 18:40

What got me is that he said that he loved Magma, but it was Hammill he couldn't understand a word of!

joels344 wrote:That Massacre album is really something, isn't it?

It's tied with Gravity as my favorite Frith albums. I missed seeing them in concert when they played in LA 1981. The night before I went to see Carla Bley at The Roxy. Never heard her music, just the good press. It was great, forceful jazz/rock in a Zappa Waka-Jawaka vein. Her band included D. Sharpe of The Modern Lovers, and they did a lot of songs from the Nick Mason solo album which she wrote. The early show was stellar. There was an announcement after the show that everyone was welcome to stay, as hardly any tickets sold. They even brought a curtain down in the middle of the audience to make the room smaller, that's how poorly it sold. They did the same set, but somehow the energy was gone. At one point, she even joked, "I don't know what happened - the first set was great!" And it was. I then went out and bought a few of her records, but they didn't match the energy of what I saw that night.

She was scheduled for two more shows the next night. A couple friends were visiting from out of town, so they, another friend and I went, based on my enthusiastic recommendation. Well, both shows were cancelled due to even poorer ticket sales. There we were, a bunch of 20-year-olds in Hollywood, looking for something to do. We walked around a bit. Down the street from The Roxy is The Whisky A Go Go, and Massacre was playing that night. A little further down is The Cinerama Dome, where the Heavy Metal film had just opened. I was up for either choice, but I knew at least half our little group would hate Massacre. We should have split up and met back up afterwards. "Missed it by THAT much!"

algroth

Postby algroth » 04 May 2017, 19:13

I remember making a thread like this a while back. Here it is: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=105550

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 12 May 2017, 21:38

haven't seen this before

Sham 69 with Steve Hillage at Reading festival in 78.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 12 May 2017, 22:12

and their exquisite peak

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 12 May 2017, 22:24

Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Return to “Yakety Yak”