Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Canis lupus

Re: 1997 LPs x 5: pick ONE

Postby Canis lupus » 26 Apr 2017, 21:20

nope. you hate them all, equally? :)

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 26 Apr 2017, 21:21

The Prodigy one is the only one I'm absolutely sure I've heard, though I'm about 75% sure I've also heard that Spiritualized album as well.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Canis lupus

Postby Canis lupus » 26 Apr 2017, 21:22

you need some clips, then
:roll:

strewth

Canis lupus

Postby Canis lupus » 26 Apr 2017, 21:32

not working, sorry folks :(

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 26 Apr 2017, 21:38

Spiritualised were always bobbins. Like Spaceman 3 they sorta promise something great cos the influences are right but the end result just isn't very good. The "ooo, drugs!" sleeve doesn't help

I wasn't fussed about the Blur album at the time cos I preferred them when they were being "English" but there is some good stuff on there. Death of a Party especially.

I liked the Prodigy singles but I doubt that album has aged well.

Primal Scream were never much cop

Blur by default
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 26 Apr 2017, 21:44

All bollocks, especially Prodigy and Chemical Bros. Primal Scream at their worst that one. What a bunch of bell-ends.

Fucking student music.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 26 Apr 2017, 21:48

It's Primal Scream's BEST, actually. And God knows I wouldn't normally defend that fucking cock-end.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 26 Apr 2017, 21:49

Goat Boy wrote:Spiritualised were always bobbins. Like Spaceman 3 they sorta promise something great cos the influences are right but the end result just isn't very good. The "ooo, drugs!" sleeve doesn't help

:lol:

Fucking cobblers, isn't it? I think a LOT of people were conned by that horseshit.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 26 Apr 2017, 22:12

Blur is the only one I'd recommend with confidence now . It's not all great - the tracks after Strange News... are dire and it's patchy throughout - but it's largely held up (Beetlebum, Death..., Look Inside America).

I agree with "nebeprisik..." that Vanishing Point is Primal Scream's best but Gillespie is such a fool it's hard to get over; it's also aged badly, along with everything else here.

Ill admit to being taken in by Spirtualised as well but it's hollow sounding now and aimless and not far from the dreaded Verve.

Big beat aged terribly and I find the boorish, rockist Prodigy unlistenable. I prefer the Chemical Brothers but that album was certainly over played and the hits are hard to bear now.

Canis lupus

Postby Canis lupus » 26 Apr 2017, 22:17

Ranking Ted wrote:Blur is the only one I'd recommend with confidence now . It's not all great - the tracks after Strange News... are dire and it's patchy throughout - but it's largely held up (Beetlebum, Death..., Look Inside America).

I agree with "nebeprisik..." that Vanishing Point is Primal Scream's best but Gillespie is such a fool it's hard to get over; it's also aged badly, along with everything else here.

Ill admit to being taken in by Spirtualised as well but it's hollow sounding now and aimless and not far from the dreaded Verve.

Big beat aged terribly and I find the boorish, rockist Prodigy unlistenable. I prefer the Chemical Brothers but that album was certainly over played and the hits are hard to bear now.

...otherwise OK? :lol:

what was your favourite back in the day?

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 26 Apr 2017, 22:19

nebeprisikiškiakopūstlapiaujančiuosiuose wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:Spiritualised were always bobbins. Like Spaceman 3 they sorta promise something great cos the influences are right but the end result just isn't very good. The "ooo, drugs!" sleeve doesn't help

:lol:

Fucking cobblers, isn't it? I think a LOT of people were conned by that horseshit.

Spacemen 3 were great for a few records, but I've always been anti-Spiritualized. They were a crashing disappointment.

Of those, the only ones I wouldn't mind would be the Chemical Bros. and Blur. The only aspect of those records that evokes 1997 for me is work at the record store, where one co-worker was all over Chemical Brothers and Prodigy and played those records every time it was his turn to choose the store music.
Last edited by BARON CORNY DOG on 27 Apr 2017, 12:23, edited 2 times in total.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 26 Apr 2017, 22:19

I love Coxons guitar playing
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Canis lupus

Postby Canis lupus » 26 Apr 2017, 22:21

...what is that - On Your Own?

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 26 Apr 2017, 22:21

Death of a Party

Canis lupus

Postby Canis lupus » 26 Apr 2017, 22:22

i cannae see YouTube clips anymore, what a pain

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 26 Apr 2017, 22:23

Still Baron wrote:
Spacemen 3 were great for a few records, but I've always been anti-Spiritualised. They were a crashing disappointment.

At times they were genuinely terrible. I remember a video for a later single that featured a full orchestra playing two chords.

I like what Spacemen 3 did with 'Transparent Radiation'. Some of their other stuff really was posey no-talent shit.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 26 Apr 2017, 22:25

nebeprisikiškiakopūstlapiaujančiuosiuose wrote:
Still Baron wrote:
Spacemen 3 were great for a few records, but I've always been anti-Spiritualised. They were a crashing disappointment.

At times they were genuinely terrible. I remember a video for a later single that featured a full orchestra playing two chords.

I like what Spacemen 3 did with 'Transparent Radiation'. Some of their other stuff really was posey no-talent shit.

Well, I don't have much time for all the Jesus nonsense and gospel shit. But sometimes I find that people with no talent make the best music. I had no idea what their pose was at the time, as I had no access to the British hype machine.
Only a few records.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 26 Apr 2017, 22:25

:{ wrote:
Ranking Ted wrote:Blur is the only one I'd recommend with confidence now . It's not all great - the tracks after Strange News... are dire and it's patchy throughout - but it's largely held up (Beetlebum, Death..., Look Inside America).

...otherwise OK? :lol:

what was your favourite back in the day?

Probably Vanishing Point. I have them all of course but in retrospect, everything went largely to shit after 1995 that decade.

Return to “Yakety Yak”