Bruce Langhorne RIP

Do talk back
Tactful Cactus

Bruce Langhorne RIP

Postby Tactful Cactus » 21 Apr 2017, 10:56

Rayge

Re: Bruce Langhorne RIP

Postby Rayge » 21 Apr 2017, 11:41

For Love Minus Zero alone, deserves my respect. I had no idea Tambourine Man was about him.

RIP
You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 21 Apr 2017, 14:54

I knew about "Tambourine Man" but didn't know he was missing some fingers. Sheesh!

R.I.P., Mr. Langhorne.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 22 Apr 2017, 17:58

I just finished reading the Richie Unterberger interview that was linked in the New Yorker piece. He comes off as a pretty warm, groovy guy, just like he did on record.

A fun excerpt:

This is a question from Chris Darrow, actually. He said, "Ask Bruce if he is Mr. Tambourine Man."

Yeah. Dylan said in his Biograph album, you should read the liner notes...

Yes, I've read those.

He said, there was this guy who used to play this giant tambourine. It was like as big as a wagon wheel, and that was kind of the inspiration for the song. So I am Mr. Tambourine Man (laughs).

My guess is he didn't actually talk about that with you.

He didn't tell me about that. And probably if he did tell anybody, he'd probably deny it (laughs). Because... I don't know, just because he would. I think he has a wonderful sense of humor. And I think that he has a wonderful ability to let people just let out enough rope to hang themselves. And I think he'd probably do that with me, I think, if he thought that I was attached to being Mr. Tambourine Man, I think he'd just... (laughs hard). I did a TV show with Dylan, I think it was the Les Crane show. And Bob Dylan said - Les Crane had on a tie. And I was just playing second guitar. And Bob said to Les Crane, he said, Les, I like your tie, man. And Les said, oh, thanks, Bob. And he took it off and he gave it to him. Bob looked at him and he said, Les, I like your boots. So, I mean, it's an example of that. If you get attached to anything, he'll run the rope out for you.

What do you think of the song itself, "Mr. Tambourine Man"?

I like it. I think it's a good song. I do. And it's about me (laughs). If I had a big ego... well, I do have a big ego. But if I wanted to fuel it, that'd be a way to do it.