Underappreciated/Under-rated Guitarists Of The Brit Pop Era

Do talk back
Deebank
Resonator

Re: Underappreciated/Under-rated Guitarists Of The Brit Pop Era

Postby Deebank » 20 Apr 2017, 11:06

Rayge wrote:
Deebank wrote:
Rayge wrote:Never really got into Blur, but am prepared to believe Coxon is great.

I never liked Blur but Coxon was pretty good - when he wasn't falling down drunk or phoning it in.

My son rates him / them too, but I just never really heard much apart from a couple of singles. Found AllBran and the Cheese Monkey a bit – well, a lot – of a turn-off

We met Damon back stage at Glastonbury, he acted like a nasty toddler - Justine Frischman was nice though, apologising as he stalked off in high dudgeon having been asked for a picture with my mrs.

It was also amusing to hear on the Today programme a few years ago (but this century) - from the man himself - how he had discovered African music and brought it to the masses :lol:

prick.
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 20 Apr 2017, 11:09

Deebank wrote:I think Burns guitars may have been made in China by the 90s!

Really? Fuck sake, the only thing that made them special was where they came from

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 20 Apr 2017, 11:13

Tactful Cactus wrote:
Deebank wrote:I think Burns guitars may have been made in China by the 90s!

Really? Fuck sake, the only thing that made them special was where they came from

They looked quite weird too, and weighed a tonne!
And they probably still had the 'Burns - London' badge on despite their country of manufacture.

Edit - I just checked and they were indeed made in London in the early 90s - some 'budget' lines were made in Korea in the late 90s but I doubt Coombes played one of them!

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 20 Apr 2017, 11:21

Deebank wrote:They looked quite weird too, and weighed a tonne! And they probably still had the 'Burns - London' badge on despite their country of manufacture.

Edit - I just checked and they were indeed made in London in the early 90s - some 'budget' lines were made in Korea in the late 90s but I doubt Coombes played one of them!

I played an original Burns at a place on Denmark st. Very heavy, as you say, not much fun.
Who knows what Gaz saw in it but it certainly stood out in a sea of Telecasters and Les Pauls.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 20 Apr 2017, 11:27

Tactful Cactus wrote:
Deebank wrote:They looked quite weird too, and weighed a tonne! And they probably still had the 'Burns - London' badge on despite their country of manufacture.

I played an original Burns at a place on Denmark st. Very heavy, as you say, not much fun.
Who knows what Gaz saw in it but it certainly stood out in a sea of Telecasters and Les Pauls.

I had a girlfriend at school whose older brother had played bass in a local punk band (Straightjacket they were called), he had a red Burns bass which I was desperate to get my hands on (more so than the girlfriend - she thought :lol: ), it was a monster and sounded quite 'dead' played unamplified - which is an unfair way of judging.

I actually used to see Gaz mooching about the guitar shop in Brighton quite often back in the day - he seemed OK, quite shy though.

Return to “Yakety Yak”