Prog Synch Listen, Allan Holdsworth's Gone Sailing (RIP and thanks)

Do talk back
User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 47836
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Prog Synch Listen, Allan Holdsworth's Gone Sailing (RIP and thanks)

Postby C » 17 Apr 2017, 21:54

.





Image











.
Last edited by C on 28 Apr 2017, 21:48, edited 4 times in total.
neville harp wrote:God bless you brother C x

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 47836
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Prog Synch Listen, Allan Holdsworth (RIP) Friday 28th April @ 9pm

Postby C » 18 Apr 2017, 17:59

Nice tribute from Dweezil:

Hello Everyone,
I wanted to take a moment to share a few words with you about Allan Holdsworth. I was saddened to hear about his passing and I am sending best thoughts and wishes to his family. It may not be obvious but he was a major influence on my musical outlook. His approach to guitar was so unique and quite honestly baffling, especially to the 13 year old me who spent a summer trying to learn licks from his "Metal Fatigue" album. My dad was an admirer of Allan's playing as well.  He talked about him in high regard in several interviews.

One day Allan came to our house to visit my dad. I don't recall the exact circumstances but it may have had something to do with Chad Wackerman who used to play drums with my dad and also played with Allan. In any case, I remember that I was 13 and I couldn't understand the scales Allan was using or the chords he was playing over. I had the opportunity to ask him a few questions that day and he was very patient with me as I attempted to show him some of the things I had tried to learn. He showed me a few easier licks and some two hand tapping ideas.

As the years went by the scales never got any easier nor did the uncommon chords he reached for. Little by little, elements of his approach to guitar entered my own vocabulary and passed through my own musical filters. I believe that Allan's influence on my playing isn't heard as a derivative in terms of playing his licks, it's more of my own interpretation of how to apply the elements that I love in his playing, spontaneous risk and reward, tension and release. His ability to effortlessly move through rhythmic contours with harmonic variety is what all guitarists who've heard him, have marveled at.

I was lucky enough to know Allan after my dad had passed away. He was very kind and spoke fondly of the time he visited with my dad. Allan even played with my band on stage a few times. He was so humble and was allergic to compliments. If I mentioned something about his playing on a record or even in the moment while playing together he would say with a smile, "I'm sorry you had to hear that."
Not everyone could appreciate the high contrast in his music but those who did, really did! He was most in his element in his own music. I remember that when he played with us on stage he kept saying he was so nervous. It's hard to understand that because he was so gifted as a player but I can empathize because I feel that way when I'm outside my own comfort zone. It produces a tendency to block your creative instincts and rely on patterns instead of opening the door to your greatest musical inspiration. That said, it seemed to me that Allan had total freedom in his playing and it was truly inspirational to me. 

I am currently making a new guitar solo album called F.O.H. Live In The Moment Part II for my Dweezil Zappa "Others Of Intention" Pledge Music campaign http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/othersofintention. It's a "Shut Up And Play Yer Guitar" Style album. I was putting all of the finishing touches on it but then I heard the news about Allan. Now I feel compelled to find a solo from a recent tour so that I can include it on the album. I would like to pay homage in my own way to Allan. I know I have reached outside my comfort zone on recent tours and sought to get into the zone of "total freedom."
With that said, I will be making some changes to the album in order to make this happen. It will cause a short delay which I apologize for in advance but it's important to me to make this tribute part of the record. I think I will call it "I'm Sorry You Had To Hear That."

RIP Allan Holdsworth, I will always appreciate your musical voice and your creativity and I'm glad I got to hear that!

Dweezil Zappa
neville harp wrote:God bless you brother C x

User avatar
Hightea
Posts: 791
Joined: 16 Apr 2015, 02:18
Location: NY state

Re: Prog Synch Listen, Allan Holdsworth (RIP) Friday 28th April @ 9pm

Postby Hightea » 19 Apr 2017, 01:52

Love bundles -Ive got a killer live version too.
Martin Barre-Ridgefield Playhouse 10/6/17
Image

Best of 2016 - Non Concert

Best of 2016 - Concert

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 47836
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Prog Synch Listen, Allan Holdsworth (RIP) Friday 28th April @ 9pm

Postby C » 19 Apr 2017, 08:45

Hightea wrote:Love bundles -Ive got a killer live version too.


Indeed

Image










.
neville harp wrote:God bless you brother C x

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 47836
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Prog Synch Listen, Allan Holdsworth (RIP) Friday 28th April @ 9pm

Postby C » 20 Apr 2017, 20:16

.





Image











.
neville harp wrote:God bless you brother C x

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 47836
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Prog Synch Listen, Allan Holdsworth (RIP) Friday 28th April @ 9pm

Postby C » 21 Apr 2017, 22:05

.





Image











.
neville harp wrote:God bless you brother C x

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 47836
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Prog Synch Listen, Allan Holdsworth (RIP) Friday 28th April @ 9pm

Postby C » 24 Apr 2017, 18:24

.





Image











.
neville harp wrote:God bless you brother C x

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 47836
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Prog Synch Listen, Allan Holdsworth (RIP) Friday 28th April @ 9pm

Postby C » 25 Apr 2017, 22:20

.





Image











.
neville harp wrote:God bless you brother C x

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 47836
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Prog Synch Listen, Allan Holdsworth (RIP) Friday 28th April @ 9pm

Postby C » 27 Apr 2017, 20:46

TOMORROW!







.
neville harp wrote:God bless you brother C x

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 33043
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: bama via new orleans

Re: Prog Synch Listen, Allan Holdsworth (RIP) TOMORROW Friday 28th April @ 9pm

Postby kath » 27 Apr 2017, 21:26

i will be here.

not that this is surprising, but i thought would say it anyway.

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 47836
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Prog Synch Listen, Allan Holdsworth (RIP) Friday 28th April @ 9pm

Postby C » 28 Apr 2017, 07:09

C wrote:Nice tribute from Dweezil:

Hello Everyone,
I wanted to take a moment to share a few words with you about Allan Holdsworth. I was saddened to hear about his passing and I am sending best thoughts and wishes to his family. It may not be obvious but he was a major influence on my musical outlook. His approach to guitar was so unique and quite honestly baffling, especially to the 13 year old me who spent a summer trying to learn licks from his "Metal Fatigue" album. My dad was an admirer of Allan's playing as well.  He talked about him in high regard in several interviews.

One day Allan came to our house to visit my dad. I don't recall the exact circumstances but it may have had something to do with Chad Wackerman who used to play drums with my dad and also played with Allan. In any case, I remember that I was 13 and I couldn't understand the scales Allan was using or the chords he was playing over. I had the opportunity to ask him a few questions that day and he was very patient with me as I attempted to show him some of the things I had tried to learn. He showed me a few easier licks and some two hand tapping ideas.

As the years went by the scales never got any easier nor did the uncommon chords he reached for. Little by little, elements of his approach to guitar entered my own vocabulary and passed through my own musical filters. I believe that Allan's influence on my playing isn't heard as a derivative in terms of playing his licks, it's more of my own interpretation of how to apply the elements that I love in his playing, spontaneous risk and reward, tension and release. His ability to effortlessly move through rhythmic contours with harmonic variety is what all guitarists who've heard him, have marveled at.

I was lucky enough to know Allan after my dad had passed away. He was very kind and spoke fondly of the time he visited with my dad. Allan even played with my band on stage a few times. He was so humble and was allergic to compliments. If I mentioned something about his playing on a record or even in the moment while playing together he would say with a smile, "I'm sorry you had to hear that."
Not everyone could appreciate the high contrast in his music but those who did, really did! He was most in his element in his own music. I remember that when he played with us on stage he kept saying he was so nervous. It's hard to understand that because he was so gifted as a player but I can empathize because I feel that way when I'm outside my own comfort zone. It produces a tendency to block your creative instincts and rely on patterns instead of opening the door to your greatest musical inspiration. That said, it seemed to me that Allan had total freedom in his playing and it was truly inspirational to me. 

I am currently making a new guitar solo album called F.O.H. Live In The Moment Part II for my Dweezil Zappa "Others Of Intention" Pledge Music campaign http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/othersofintention. It's a "Shut Up And Play Yer Guitar" Style album. I was putting all of the finishing touches on it but then I heard the news about Allan. Now I feel compelled to find a solo from a recent tour so that I can include it on the album. I would like to pay homage in my own way to Allan. I know I have reached outside my comfort zone on recent tours and sought to get into the zone of "total freedom."
With that said, I will be making some changes to the album in order to make this happen. It will cause a short delay which I apologize for in advance but it's important to me to make this tribute part of the record. I think I will call it "I'm Sorry You Had To Hear That."

RIP Allan Holdsworth, I will always appreciate your musical voice and your creativity and I'm glad I got to hear that!

Dweezil Zappa








.
neville harp wrote:God bless you brother C x

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 47836
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Prog Synch Listen, Allan Holdsworth (RIP) TONIGHT Friday 28th April @ 9pm

Postby C » 28 Apr 2017, 19:04

.





Image











.
neville harp wrote:God bless you brother C x

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 33043
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: bama via new orleans

Re: Prog Synch Listen, Allan Holdsworth (RIP) TONIGHT Friday 28th April @ 9pm

Postby kath » 28 Apr 2017, 20:42

gearin up.

i have never heard this album. lookin forward to it.

p.s. very nice indeed from dweezil.

User avatar
Nancy
Daft Sod
Posts: 6925
Joined: 20 Feb 2013, 22:25
Location: Where I am when I'm not here.

Re: Prog Synch Listen, Allan Holdsworth (RIP) TONIGHT Friday 28th April @ 9pm

Postby Nancy » 28 Apr 2017, 20:56

Let's all sing 99 Bundles of beer on the wall.
Pontificating incorrigibly since birth.

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 33043
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: bama via new orleans

Re: Prog Synch Listen, Allan Holdsworth (RIP) TONIGHT Friday 28th April @ 9pm

Postby kath » 28 Apr 2017, 20:57

Nancy wrote:Let's all sing 99 Bundles of beer on the wall.


... lush.

watch out. i have castanets now.

User avatar
Nancy
Daft Sod
Posts: 6925
Joined: 20 Feb 2013, 22:25
Location: Where I am when I'm not here.

Re: Prog Synch Listen, Allan Holdsworth (RIP) TONIGHT Friday 28th April @ 9pm

Postby Nancy » 28 Apr 2017, 20:59

kath wrote:
Nancy wrote:Let's all sing 99 Bundles of beer on the wall.


... lush.

watch out. i have castanets now.


I don't want a slush fund, I want a lush fund.
Pontificating incorrigibly since birth.

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 33043
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: bama via new orleans

Re: Prog Synch Listen, Allan Holdsworth (RIP) TONIGHT Friday 28th April @ 9pm

Postby kath » 28 Apr 2017, 21:00

Nancy wrote:
kath wrote:
Nancy wrote:Let's all sing 99 Bundles of beer on the wall.


... lush.

watch out. i have castanets now.


I don't want a slush fund, I want a lush fund.


you *are* a lush fund.

one of the many reasons i love you.

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 47836
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Prog Synch Listen, Allan Holdsworth (RIP) TONIGHT Friday 28th April @ 9pm

Postby C » 28 Apr 2017, 21:00

Evening all!

Let's ROCK!








.
neville harp wrote:God bless you brother C x

User avatar
Nancy
Daft Sod
Posts: 6925
Joined: 20 Feb 2013, 22:25
Location: Where I am when I'm not here.

Re: Prog Synch Listen, Allan Holdsworth (RIP) TONIGHT Friday 28th April @ 9pm

Postby Nancy » 28 Apr 2017, 21:00

Hello everyone!

Yet another album I have not heard. Looking forward to it, and I raise my glass to Mr. Holdsworth... may he rest in peace.
Pontificating incorrigibly since birth.

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 33043
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: bama via new orleans

Re: Prog Synch Listen, Allan Holdsworth (RIP) TONIGHT Friday 28th April @ 9pm

Postby kath » 28 Apr 2017, 21:01

greetings!! let us tributize allan. a toast to him and his gweetarisms.