I didnae like it
22%

Total votes: 27

echolalia

Re: Rate the song: "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)"

Postby echolalia » 16 Apr 2017, 15:05

Goat Boy wrote:
fange wrote:

That was when they beat Rangers to win the Scottish cup for the first time in about a 100 years.

For most football fans there is more heartbreak and disappointment than glory but that was their moment in the sunshine and they'd waited a long, long time for it.

I'm always moved when football fans sing songs like that. Working class pride, solidarity n all that. I also live in leith now so this was quite close to home for me.

Marvellous.

I’m another massive Sunshine on Leith fan. It’s a fucking great melody and the chord change just before “while I’m worth...” really kills me. Also Leith was the place of my birth and there aren’t many songs about it, after all.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 16 Apr 2017, 15:54

fange wrote:I bought the album at a Salvation Army store for $1 in 1992, what a bargain!

I got mine for free, with a batch of cd's one of my older brothers discarded. Barely noticed it at the time it was popular, except to wonder "WTF is this?" when it did seep through to my conscious mind. But I was quickly won over by its goofy charm once giving it a proper listen.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 17 Apr 2017, 02:42

fange wrote:
Muskrat wrote:Not destined to be a standard, but I'd never turn it off 'twere it playing on the radio.

But, it actually IS a standard. I believe it was a top 10 chart hit in many countries around the world, so it was a huge public favourite, and i think it is a song that is much loved to this day.

Point taken, and never arued to begin with. I was using the term "standard" in the sense that lots of other performers recorded or played it live -- you know, like "Yesterday" or "Louie Louie." Of course I haven't paid much atention to current music in the last 15 years; if I walk into a club, am I likely to encounter a band playing "500 Miles"?
Things that a fella can't forget...

Darkness_Fish wrote:It's not a great Everly's record, but Ferry brings all his talent and personality to that cover, making it utterly shit.

fange

Postby fange » 17 Apr 2017, 05:21

Muskrat wrote:
fange wrote:
Muskrat wrote:Not destined to be a standard, but I'd never turn it off 'twere it playing on the radio.

But, it actually IS a standard. I believe it was a top 10 chart hit in many countries around the world, so it was a huge public favourite, and i think it is a song that is much loved to this day.

Point taken, and never arued to begin with. I was using the term "standard" in the sense that lots of other performers recorded or played it live -- you know, like "Yesterday" or "Louie Louie." Of course I haven't paid much atention to current music in the last 15 years; if I walk into a club, am I likely to encounter a band playing "500 Miles"?

Kind of depends on the type of place and type of band, in the end. If it's a band playing pop guitar stuff from the 80s till now, there is a very good chance this or 'I'm On my Way' would be on their set list. I remember hearing it several times in that kind of situation. And from the sounds of it, hatzy's had to play it more than a couple of times too.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 17 Apr 2017, 20:39

fange wrote:

:x

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 17 Apr 2017, 20:41

Anyway, it's hard to objective about 500 Miles now. It's so ubiquitous that resistance is pointless.

Zombeels
Misinformed Music Critic

Postby Zombeels » 22 Apr 2017, 19:21

Liked it when it first came out but it suffers from over exposure.
http://rateyourmusic.com/list/Zombeels/favourite_songs

I still like the Kinks

Clippernolan wrote:The Beatles are both fab and gear, with greater amounts of both fabness and gearity than any other band.

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 23 Apr 2017, 21:27

I am reporting all of you who have written positively about this song to my friend Linda from Glasgow, and she will be around to adjust your opinions later on. ;)
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

slightbreeze
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby slightbreeze » 23 Apr 2017, 23:45

DADDY-O wrote:'Letter From America' was ten times better.

Make that a million times better

COLIN LAND
hounds people off the board

Postby COLIN LAND » 24 Apr 2017, 00:16

slightbreeze wrote:
DADDY-O wrote:'Letter From America' was ten times better.

Make that a million times better

Fair enough.

It's a beautiful song, actually, whereas '500 Miles' is just a novelty.

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:
The Modernist wrote:
Your essay needs to be in before 5.00 tomorrow Dougie.

:D :D :D

One of the finest replies in BCB's history.