"Being Boring"
"Domino Dancing"

Feeling something like this today.

Bent Fabric

Re: Your 3 favourite Pet Shop Boys songs

Postby Bent Fabric » 14 Apr 2017, 07:24

DADDY-O wrote:
fange wrote:
And speaking of small bits of wonderful songs...

That little change at 00:48 when they first sing "How'm I gonna get through?", and the harmonized repeat, oh it's just magical.

Oh, the whole song is full of those moments. For me it's easily the best thing they ever did. Still gives me goosebumps. Solid gold.

I probably overuse this word as it applies to artists at a certain point in their evolution, but...this song is almost pathologically "confident".

Like a hobo with a million in cash walking into a Benz dealership, and pulling out the bills right when Dusty comes in with the "song within a song" part ("Since you've been a away"). I STILL don't see it coming all these years later.

fange

Postby fange » 17 Apr 2017, 12:00

Bent Fabric wrote:I probably overuse this word as it applies to artists at a certain point in their evolution, but...this song is almost pathologically "confident".

Like a hobo with a million in cash walking into a Benz dealership, and pulling out the bills right when Dusty comes in with the "song within a song" part ("Since you've been a away"). I STILL don't see it coming all these years later.

Confident is the perfect word. Every bit of this song - from the mood and tempo shifts, to all the vocals and arrangements - are absolutely nailed, spot on, not a second wasted.

I was playing Alternative the other day, and played 'You Know Where You Went Wrong' 3 times in a row. Where the hell does that "The history of the world..." section come from?? It just comes flowing out of the speakers after the somber and moody first minute and 40 seconds, and lights up like a laser show in the sky. Wonderful. It has some of Tennant's most gently wry lyrics as well. It could be argued it's maybe a minute too long ... but I don't begrudge any minute listening to this song.

Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 17 Apr 2017, 15:04

I sometimes think they were the last great British pop group.
Foxhound wrote:After all, I very clearly remember that growing up as a young white male offered me no advantages at all.

Lord Rother, talking about Big Big Train wrote:the best band on the planet right now

coachmaddog

Postby coachmaddog » 17 Apr 2017, 17:45

It's a Sin
I Get Along
Love Comes Quickly

Graham Murakami

Postby Graham Murakami » 17 Apr 2017, 21:24

Goat Boy wrote:I sometimes think they were the last great British pop group.

The last pop group to have any control over their own output? it has all been manufactured or managed since the Kylie/Jason/New Kids-era in the late 80s.

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 17 Apr 2017, 21:30

1. Love Comes Quickly - sublime!
2. West End Girls - only beaten by my first choice.
3. Rent

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 18 Apr 2017, 08:51

I really don't like them.

One or two of their videos were directed by a guy called Howard Greenhalgh. He was my old next door neighbour in the house I was born in, in Halifax.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 18 Apr 2017, 09:18

Left To My Own Devices
It's A Sin
Love Comes Quickly

I saw them last month and they put on a great show even if Neil Tennant looks like a fat Ian Duncan Smith in a lamè bomber jacket.

Return to “Yakety Yak”