Hang on, this is fucking rubbish

Do talk back
Dr Markus

Re: Hang on, this is fucking rubbish

Postby Dr Markus » 04 Apr 2017, 19:38

The killers
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 04 Apr 2017, 20:38

Bent Fabric wrote:
Charlie O. wrote:
Rayge wrote:Been thinking about this and it's never happened to me, I'm pretty sure.

Same here.

I envy you both.

Just to clarify: there are specific albums/songs I feel this way about. (Though not many, actually!) And lord knows there have been a lot of bands/artists who went seriously southward following my initial burst of enthusiasm.

But I can't think of a case where I bought into a a band's whole thing, and then dismissed all of it. Which I think is what the question was.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 04 Apr 2017, 20:51

The Great Defector wrote:The killers

The first album actually had some decent stuff but they fell very quickly and very hard.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 04 Apr 2017, 22:44

Charlie O. wrote:
Bent Fabric wrote:
I envy you both.

But I can't think of a case where I bought into a a band's whole thing, and then dismissed all of it. Which I think is what the question was.

^^^^This, me too, exactly.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 05 Apr 2017, 01:36

And I suspect there was a time when I would have recommended Blur...

HarryIrene

Postby HarryIrene » 07 Apr 2017, 15:47

Sounds like a few of us were burned by the RHCP's. Saw them 3 times and liked then from Mothers Milk through to By The Way. One day prior to Stadium Arcadium coming out, i was listening to Californication and thought this is bland shite. Can't abide them at all now. Sounds like their own guitarist John Frusciante maybe feels the same way having quit them twice. Talking of which, he has other form for (sort of) being in a band i got into only to come to my senses and realise they were just an irritating load of rubbish. Step forward The Mars Volta. Horrible screechy trebly proggy indulgent garbage.

Can't listen to Fleet Foxes at all now. Really got into them when that first album came out. Saw them a few times and bought Helplessness Blues. One day i put it on and it just annoyed me to death. Played the debut too and realised they were really dull and traded them in. Can't stomach them at all, poor man's CSN

Good call on Goldie too. Was really swept up by that whole drum'n'bass movement with the UK music press and bought that and Roni Size Reprazent etc. Realised it just annoyed me about 2yrs later. Sounds like decent dance music with a defective drum sampler or something now.

Elbow are borderline on this too. Used to quite like them but now i feel great antipathy towards them.
Nothing To See Here. Move Right Along

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 07 Apr 2017, 16:11

Copehead wrote:
Deebank wrote:Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

Heard the single. Bought the LP. Listened to it once.

Saw them at Glastonbury, they bit the big one.

I still quite like them, I like their second and third albums more than the first one which was a bit too JAMC/Loop. Only Spread Your Love and What ever happened to our Rock N Roll really stand up from the first album. But their next 2 went a bit more Byrdsy and Dylany choirs and a bit of country rock without losing their BRMC thing.

So they actually got better for me

I agree also note they did have a hard time in the beginning playing live. Not sure why but they sounded awful live. However, saw them two or three years ago and with the newer material they were wonderful live. I really like the album Howl.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 08 Apr 2017, 01:28

Hightea wrote:
Copehead wrote:
Deebank wrote:Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

Heard the single. Bought the LP. Listened to it once.

Saw them at Glastonbury, they bit the big one.

I still quite like them, I like their second and third albums more than the first one which was a bit too JAMC/Loop. Only Spread Your Love and What ever happened to our Rock N Roll really stand up from the first album. But their next 2 went a bit more Byrdsy and Dylany choirs and a bit of country rock without losing their BRMC thing.

So they actually got better for me

I agree also note they did have a hard time in the beginning playing live. Not sure why but they sounded awful live. However, saw them two or three years ago and with the newer material they were wonderful live. I really like the album Howl.

That is the album I was talking about, but that must be years old now
Moorcock, Moorcock, Michael Moorcock, you fervently moan.

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

algroth

Postby algroth » 08 Apr 2017, 01:40

I'm a 90s kid so a lot of bands I listened to as a kid I recognize for the shite they are nowadays. That said, amidst the bands with better reputation... I guess there's Iron Maiden, Metallica, Patricio Rey y sus Redonditos de Ricota, and maybe some soft rock/AOR artists I really dug when I first started going further back in the history of music than I had at the time.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 08 Apr 2017, 23:57

Placebo.

Spock!

Postby Spock! » 09 Apr 2017, 00:26

slightbreeze wrote:Placebo.

Yes, have that effect on many former fans...

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 09 Apr 2017, 00:47

John aka Josh wrote:

Or maybe the fans just think they've been affected that way.

Spock!

Postby Spock! » 09 Apr 2017, 19:57

Charlie O. wrote:
John aka Josh wrote:

Or maybe the fans just think they've been affected that way.

:D

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 22 Apr 2017, 11:31

PresMuffley wrote:

I was taking a lot of shrooms at the time. Forgive me.

This is so rank that I checked out their catalogue on Spotify. It was like lifting a large rock and seeing a lot of squirming pale white things, and wanting to jump back shuddering, but then realising that if you dropped the rock you would kill a lot of the squirming white things. Then thinking 'and why the hell not?'

I can honestly say I would rather listen to the 21st Century output of Rod Stewart. I'm actually doing it right now.
"They love hating the music they hate nearly as much as they love loving the music they love"

- Andrew Mueller It's Too Late To Die Young Now

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 22 Apr 2017, 11:52

WG Kaspar wrote:Not a band, but Automatic for The People. I absolutely loved it at the time and then 10 years later I put it on and it sounded like the dullest record ever. A couple of OK songs but nothing like I remembered it to be.

Can't agree, but there's some idea in your post that I do seem to understand.

I hate the fact that ´Everybody Hurts´ has been annoying millions the world over for 20+ years by now, simply because it is a supermaket and mall staple the world over.

Perhaps it's a sports stadium anthem also, I don't know.

It should never have been a single, it should just have been sitting nicely and anonymously at the end of a vinyl album side - the final of a good listening session.
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 22 Apr 2017, 11:52

billy wrote:Flaming Lips

You poor old soul, you.

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 22 Apr 2017, 11:56

Bent Fabric wrote:

Sonic Youth - I'm glad they did what they did, but...the ratios are not kind - I can see why someone might be justified in calling them "the East Village Eagles".

Bizarre, funny, and right on the money!

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 22 Apr 2017, 16:19

I want to say The Sisters of Mercy, but..bugger it, I retain a fondness for them
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 24 Apr 2017, 17:22

I feel like you guys are doing good work here. It's a group therapy thread, really.

I'm reaching to think of something I fell out of love with...

OH, The Band of course. I bought the Rolling Stone Journo Hype when I was a kid, Chester! Can't do it these days.
Shit tons of 3rd Wave Ska Bands, of course. I mean, I've seen Less Than Jake many times as a paying customer. Not sure how it would go if I heard them now, but I expect it would be badly.

When this does happen to me, I often end up coming back around to the stuff (see RUSH, LZ) so it's hard to pinpoint.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Return to “Yakety Yak”