Punk vs Prog

Do talk back

Punk vs Prog

Punk
24
55%
Prog
20
45%
 
Total votes: 44

User avatar
martha
rambling rose
Posts: 5374
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 17:41
Location: Self-imposed exile.

Re: Punk vs Prog

Postby martha » 01 Apr 2017, 05:38

Hightea wrote: If you had only could listen to one genre (punk or prog) for a month which would it be?


Punk. A month of prog would have a body toll.
--m.

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 24439
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: Punk vs Prog

Postby Copehead » 02 Apr 2017, 01:32

I was punk then I was prog now I am both.
I like music and I generally categorise music as good or bad
Both have both in abundance
At the moment I am probably listening to slightly more prog than punk
Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Fuck Off

Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

User avatar
trans-chigley express
Posts: 18040
Joined: 11 Nov 2003, 01:50
Location: Asia's WC

Re: Punk vs Prog

Postby trans-chigley express » 02 Apr 2017, 04:25

I grew out of Punk when I was 12 and have only ever rarely returned for a bit of Damned or Clash and not much else.

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 51907
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Punk vs Prog

Postby C » 02 Apr 2017, 11:24

Punk





.
Nancy wrote:I bet the amps in Heaven go to 12.

User avatar
WG Kaspar
Posts: 9051
Joined: 28 Jan 2007, 09:07

Re: Punk vs Prog

Postby WG Kaspar » 02 Apr 2017, 12:07

C wrote:Punk





.

Good lad!!!!
I run out of talent

User avatar
Fonz
Posts: 3800
Joined: 17 Feb 2014, 14:10
Location: Nevermore

Re: Punk vs Prog

Postby Fonz » 02 Apr 2017, 17:41

Darkness_Fish wrote:
algroth wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:Prog is essentially the place where musical skill and an absence of taste collide.


Nah, that's NWOBHM. Or, uh... Whatever the G3 wank is supposed to be.

Nah, NWOBHM was clunky riffs and sweat. You'd probably be looking more to the likes of Steve Vai, Dream Theatre, and Dragonforce. Which although ostensibly rock, are really prog under the hood, due to technical skills and lack of taste. It's a definition that can't be broken. Note that bands with technical skills but taste went to the extremes and chose to become German in the 1970s, just to create their own genre.



Ha!

Three of my favourite (top 20) artists right there!
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

User avatar
Dayodead
Posts: 936
Joined: 15 May 2015, 21:39
Location: West Los Angeles

Re: Punk vs Prog

Postby Dayodead » 02 Apr 2017, 17:54

Punk....I have far more of it....Punk is more diverse than some give it credit...Prog would be tough sledding after maybe the first day, if not sooner...

User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 6956
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: Punk vs Prog

Postby Darkness_Fish » 02 Apr 2017, 20:28

Fonz wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:
algroth wrote:
Nah, that's NWOBHM. Or, uh... Whatever the G3 wank is supposed to be.

Nah, NWOBHM was clunky riffs and sweat. You'd probably be looking more to the likes of Steve Vai, Dream Theatre, and Dragonforce. Which although ostensibly rock, are really prog under the hood, due to technical skills and lack of taste. It's a definition that can't be broken. Note that bands with technical skills but taste went to the extremes and chose to become German in the 1970s, just to create their own genre.



Ha!

Three of my favourite (top 20) artists right there!


I somehow don't think we'll be swapping mixtapes anytime soon, but no-one could ever accuse you of following the herd on here, I like how distinctive your taste is. Dragonforce though, I mean, a golden rule is never listen to an artist if you can't tell if they're a band or the latest Pokemon console game.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

User avatar
algroth
Posts: 5628
Joined: 04 Apr 2010, 03:12

Re: Punk vs Prog

Postby algroth » 02 Apr 2017, 20:55

Darkness_Fish wrote:
Fonz wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:Nah, NWOBHM was clunky riffs and sweat. You'd probably be looking more to the likes of Steve Vai, Dream Theatre, and Dragonforce. Which although ostensibly rock, are really prog under the hood, due to technical skills and lack of taste. It's a definition that can't be broken. Note that bands with technical skills but taste went to the extremes and chose to become German in the 1970s, just to create their own genre.



Ha!

Three of my favourite (top 20) artists right there!


I somehow don't think we'll be swapping mixtapes anytime soon, but no-one could ever accuse you of following the herd on here, I like how distinctive your taste is. Dragonforce though, I mean, a golden rule is never listen to an artist if you can't tell if they're a band or the latest Pokemon console game.


Pah, you say this as if you're not a fan of Hawkwind. :lol:

(I do generally agree with that rule, though.)

User avatar
Fonz
Posts: 3800
Joined: 17 Feb 2014, 14:10
Location: Nevermore

Re: Punk vs Prog

Postby Fonz » 02 Apr 2017, 21:49

Darkness_Fish wrote:
Fonz wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:Nah, NWOBHM was clunky riffs and sweat. You'd probably be looking more to the likes of Steve Vai, Dream Theatre, and Dragonforce. Which although ostensibly rock, are really prog under the hood, due to technical skills and lack of taste. It's a definition that can't be broken. Note that bands with technical skills but taste went to the extremes and chose to become German in the 1970s, just to create their own genre.



Ha!

Three of my favourite (top 20) artists right there!


I somehow don't think we'll be swapping mixtapes anytime soon, but no-one could ever accuse you of following the herd on here, I like how distinctive your taste is. Dragonforce though, I mean, a golden rule is never listen to an artist if you can't tell if they're a band or the latest Pokemon console game.


That suggests you have at least heard Dragonforce!
Unless you spent a your misspent youth playing Guitar Hero you must have walked the same path for at least a league or two, Grasshopper!
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

User avatar
pcqgod
Posts: 17572
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 07:23
Location: Texas

Re: Punk vs Prog

Postby pcqgod » 02 Apr 2017, 22:11

To me, this is like being told that I could spend a month at a feast with an unlimited amount of food and drink and being told that I had to choose to drink either Coke or Pepsi for the whole time.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

User avatar
BIG TIME BOO-HOO
Posts: 222
Joined: 04 Jan 2017, 20:22

Re: Punk vs Prog

Postby BIG TIME BOO-HOO » 07 Mar 2019, 09:36

Good lad
GoogaMooga wrote:Alright everybody, the latest thrift shop discovery is, in one word, WOW...!

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 51907
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Punk vs Prog

Postby C » 07 Mar 2019, 15:03

BOB WHELK wrote:Good lad


ooof sad-fucque

oooof!

[Just a bit of fun between mates soft-lad. Just a bit of fun]







.
Nancy wrote:I bet the amps in Heaven go to 12.

User avatar
BIG TIME BOO-HOO
Posts: 222
Joined: 04 Jan 2017, 20:22

Re: Punk vs Prog

Postby BIG TIME BOO-HOO » 07 Mar 2019, 15:43

No need to hyphenate the adjective and the noun, Stephen!

(I know you need to be told a few times before the penny drops! ;) )
GoogaMooga wrote:Alright everybody, the latest thrift shop discovery is, in one word, WOW...!

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 51907
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Punk vs Prog

Postby C » 07 Mar 2019, 17:21

BOB WHELK wrote:No need to hyphenate the adjective and the noun, Stephen!

(I know you need to be told a few times before the penny drops! ;) )


The day that I, or anybody else for that matter, take notice or listen to you is when hell freezes over.

Henchmen accepted.

You matey, are a sad-fucque

Yes, a sad-fucque

A cad and a bounder

Cad-bounder

[Just joshing soft-lad]




.
Nancy wrote:I bet the amps in Heaven go to 12.

User avatar
BIG TIME BOO-HOO
Posts: 222
Joined: 04 Jan 2017, 20:22

Re: Punk vs Prog

Postby BIG TIME BOO-HOO » 07 Mar 2019, 17:57

Poor Stephen :lol:
GoogaMooga wrote:Alright everybody, the latest thrift shop discovery is, in one word, WOW...!

User avatar
BIG TIME BOO-HOO
Posts: 222
Joined: 04 Jan 2017, 20:22

Re: Punk vs Prog

Postby BIG TIME BOO-HOO » 07 Mar 2019, 17:59

sorry - poor-Stephen :lol:
GoogaMooga wrote:Alright everybody, the latest thrift shop discovery is, in one word, WOW...!

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 51907
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Punk vs Prog

Postby C » 08 Mar 2019, 07:43

BOB WHELK wrote:sorry - poor-Stephen :lol:


Sadly, you-are-nothing-my-dear-friend

Billy Nomates - a lonely old man

Just a sad-fucque

[Just a bit of friendly banter - we can all take it!]






:lol:
Nancy wrote:I bet the amps in Heaven go to 12.

User avatar
BIG TIME BOO-HOO
Posts: 222
Joined: 04 Jan 2017, 20:22

Re: Punk vs Prog

Postby BIG TIME BOO-HOO » 08 Mar 2019, 07:58

Enjoy the synque-listen, bald-pricque :lol:
GoogaMooga wrote:Alright everybody, the latest thrift shop discovery is, in one word, WOW...!

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 51907
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Punk vs Prog

Postby C » 08 Mar 2019, 10:13

My dear-friend: your henchmen have got-the message that they are not wanted and have buggered-off - why don't you do the same.

Insecurity, paranoia and attention-seeking are all signs of a bully-boy.

Stand-up to them and they are-lost.

Sad-fucque





:lol:
Nancy wrote:I bet the amps in Heaven go to 12.