Roger McGUINN v Johnny MARR

Do talk back

12-string Sorcerer or his Apprentice?

Jim
18
45%
Johnny
22
55%
 
Total votes: 40

User avatar
Canis lupus
Posts: 1419
Joined: 20 Nov 2008, 19:38
Location: Tickhill

Roger McGUINN v Johnny MARR

Postby Canis lupus » 20 Mar 2017, 21:46

...never done this before? Blimey


Image

V

Image

:?:
Last edited by Canis lupus on 21 Mar 2017, 21:01, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Canis lupus
Posts: 1419
Joined: 20 Nov 2008, 19:38
Location: Tickhill

Re: Roger McGUINN v Johnny MARR

Postby Canis lupus » 20 Mar 2017, 21:58

:D We have a voter!!!! :D
Step right up, claim your prize

User avatar
Canis lupus
Posts: 1419
Joined: 20 Nov 2008, 19:38
Location: Tickhill

Re: Roger McGUINN v Johnny MARR

Postby Canis lupus » 20 Mar 2017, 22:05

:D And another!!! :D
C'mon now don't be shy


now



:evil:

User avatar
COLIN LAND
hounds people off the board
Posts: 13624
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: pursued by the enraged queen

Re: Roger McGUINN v Johnny MARR

Postby COLIN LAND » 20 Mar 2017, 22:36

erm...
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:
The Modernist wrote:
Your essay needs to be in before 5.00 tomorrow Dougie.


:D :D :D

One of the finest replies in BCB's history.

User avatar
Canis lupus
Posts: 1419
Joined: 20 Nov 2008, 19:38
Location: Tickhill

Re: Roger McGUINN v Johnny MARR

Postby Canis lupus » 20 Mar 2017, 23:21

(bites nails)

User avatar
Canis lupus
Posts: 1419
Joined: 20 Nov 2008, 19:38
Location: Tickhill

Re: Roger McGUINN v Johnny MARR

Postby Canis lupus » 20 Mar 2017, 23:27

:o

WTF?!!!

A registered member of the Republican Party, McGuinn donated $2,000 to the Ben Carson presidential campaign in 2015


https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_McGuinn

User avatar
PresMuffley
Posts: 798
Joined: 06 Feb 2017, 12:00

Re: Roger McGUINN v Johnny MARR

Postby PresMuffley » 20 Mar 2017, 23:42

It's possible that I woke up once to hear Ben Carson giving a speech, though I'm still fairly certain I never woke up.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

User avatar
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes
Posts: 17253
Joined: 17 Oct 2010, 14:10
Location: The Nether World

Re: Roger McGUINN v Johnny MARR

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 21 Mar 2017, 10:18

Jim (Roger) by country miles.

Johnny Marr is a good player; but he never scaled the dizzying heights of 'Eight Miles High'.

Good craftman vs. genius, this is.
The invisible and the non-existing very much look alike.

User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 10866
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: deepest Devon
Contact:

Re: Roger McGUINN v Johnny MARR

Postby Rayge » 21 Mar 2017, 10:43

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:Johnny Marr is a good player; but he never scaled the dizzying heights of 'Eight Miles High'.

But, having created one of the great guitar sounds and singles of the ’60s, he immediately turned his back on it in favour of squabbling with bandmates, chasing the buck, the appalling miscegenation of 'country rock' and thirty years of muso tedium.
Marr was also a far better, and more prolific, writer of hooks, riffs and tunes. While McGuinn was only part of the joy of the Byrds, Marr was pretty much solely responsible for the sound of the Smiths.
You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

User avatar
COLIN LAND
hounds people off the board
Posts: 13624
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: pursued by the enraged queen

Re: Roger McGUINN v Johnny MARR

Postby COLIN LAND » 21 Mar 2017, 11:17

Rayge wrote:
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:Johnny Marr is a good player; but he never scaled the dizzying heights of 'Eight Miles High'.

But, having created one of the great guitar sounds and singles of the ’60s, he immediately turned his back on it in favour of squabbling with bandmates, chasing the buck, the appalling miscegenation of 'country rock' and thirty years of muso tedium.
Marr was also a far better, and more prolific, writer of hooks, riffs and tunes. While McGuinn was only part of the joy of the Byrds, Marr was pretty much solely responsible for the sound of the Smiths.


Very well put.
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:
The Modernist wrote:
Your essay needs to be in before 5.00 tomorrow Dougie.


:D :D :D

One of the finest replies in BCB's history.

User avatar
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes
Posts: 17253
Joined: 17 Oct 2010, 14:10
Location: The Nether World

Re: Roger McGUINN v Johnny MARR

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 21 Mar 2017, 11:22

Rayge wrote:
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:Johnny Marr is a good player; but he never scaled the dizzying heights of 'Eight Miles High'.

But, having created one of the great guitar sounds and singles of the ’60s, he immediately turned his back on it in favour of squabbling with bandmates, chasing the buck, the appalling miscegenation of 'country rock' and thirty years of muso tedium.
Marr was also a far better, and more prolific, writer of hooks, riffs and tunes. While McGuinn was only part of the joy of the Byrds, Marr was pretty much solely responsible for the sound of the Smiths.


I respectfully disagree, Rayge, but will see if I can produce valid counter-arguments today.

(Is this the beginning of a wonderful and authentic BCB-row, with both camps throwing mud at each other until after a month no-one can remember what it was all about in the first place?)

(I am seriously biased: I am on a real Byrds kick these days, and the Smiths I admire, but do I love them?)
The invisible and the non-existing very much look alike.

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 29769
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Roger McGUINN v Johnny MARR

Postby Goat Boy » 21 Mar 2017, 12:05

Whatever you think about Morrissey I think Marr was at least verging on genius for a few years.

It's no contest really
Copehead wrote:I was helping out the victims of virtue signaling in the Ghettos before this was even an issue in the wider world.

User avatar
fange
Posts: 10852
Joined: 20 Jan 2010, 11:30
Location: 香港

Re: Roger McGUINN v Johnny MARR

Postby fange » 21 Mar 2017, 12:09

Marr, easily.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.


By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

User avatar
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes
Posts: 17253
Joined: 17 Oct 2010, 14:10
Location: The Nether World

Re: Roger McGUINN v Johnny MARR

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 21 Mar 2017, 12:28

I don't understand this.

Is the problem Brexit-related?

Your own comes first?
The invisible and the non-existing very much look alike.

User avatar
fange
Posts: 10852
Joined: 20 Jan 2010, 11:30
Location: 香港

Re: Roger McGUINN v Johnny MARR

Postby fange » 21 Mar 2017, 12:36

No, i'm Australian.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.


By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

User avatar
Tactful Cactus
Posts: 17921
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 14:21
Location: by your window

Re: Roger McGUINN v Johnny MARR

Postby Tactful Cactus » 21 Mar 2017, 12:41

Marr was technically much better but also influenced by McGuinns originality, fleeting as it was.

User avatar
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes
Posts: 17253
Joined: 17 Oct 2010, 14:10
Location: The Nether World

Re: Roger McGUINN v Johnny MARR

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 21 Mar 2017, 12:49

I give up.
The invisible and the non-existing very much look alike.

User avatar
joels344
Posts: 683
Joined: 17 Dec 2016, 17:37
Contact:

Re: Roger McGUINN v Johnny MARR

Postby joels344 » 21 Mar 2017, 14:09

This a tough one to pick. Both are indeed excellent players. But, Roger McGuinn for melody and innovation. Also, Marr was never involved with an album like Sweetheart of the Radio.

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 29769
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Roger McGUINN v Johnny MARR

Postby Goat Boy » 21 Mar 2017, 14:11

joels344 wrote:Also, Marr was never involved with an album like Sweetheart of the Radio.


And thank fuck for that
Copehead wrote:I was helping out the victims of virtue signaling in the Ghettos before this was even an issue in the wider world.

User avatar
joels344
Posts: 683
Joined: 17 Dec 2016, 17:37
Contact:

Re: Roger McGUINN v Johnny MARR

Postby joels344 » 21 Mar 2017, 14:12

Goat Boy wrote:
joels344 wrote:Also, Marr was never involved with an album like Sweetheart of the Radio.


And thank fuck for that


Hating on that country rock masterpiece? :D