An artist and his instrument

Do talk back
Jeemo

Re: An artist and his instrument

Postby Jeemo » 20 Mar 2017, 22:55

Charlie O. wrote:
Jeemo wrote:Greg Lake - Songs of A Lifetime. Worst gig ever.

Not that I was a fan, but you've piqued my curiosity. What made it so outstandingly awful?

Bearing in mind that growing up I was a huge ELP fan and I never saw them live as a group. I'd seen both Emerson and Palmer live solo, and enjoyed the gigs. Emerson was a bit past his prime and couldn't play the way he used to but was still trying to play as fast, it was a bit sloppy. Palmer was fantastic, small venue no frills, no ego either which surprised me a bit and came across as just a guy loving to play the drums.

So I was going with years of goodwill and my teenage self well to the fore, looking forward to the gig. It was billed as Songs of A Lifetime and part of that would be a conversation between Lake and the audience. Rather than one man and a guitar, it was one man, a guitar and a shit load of backing tracks.

He would start a song playing acoustic guitar and then magically play the electric guitar solo and then back to acoustic when the solo finished. I know you can get set ups that do this didn't look right. His playing in general was clumsy and given that he was primarily a guitar player rather than a bass player, it was surprising.

The main issue I had was that he came across as if he was still a major rock star, the venue held around 200-300. He decried "punk rock" for having no talent etc etc. His stories were all well known to any fan of ELP or King Crimson. The sleeve of the first Crimson album, the moog solo on Lucky Man, they headlined California Jam. No insight, no perspective. He spoke about seeing Elvis live and then played Heartbreak Hotel, awful version. No nothing about why Elvis was so important to him. Same with The Beatles, he spoke about how HE toured with Ringo and then murdered You've Got to Hide Your Love Away.

And then there was the audience questions. One guy asked what tips he would give his daughter, sitting next to him, of making a career in the music business. If me and my mate hadn't been in the middle of the row we would have left.

There are clips on YouTube, I dare you to have a look.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 20 Mar 2017, 23:50

Thanks, Jeemo!

PresMuffley

Re: An artist and her instrument

Postby PresMuffley » 20 Mar 2017, 23:58

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 21 Mar 2017, 03:25

Neige wrote:Memory might play tricks on me, but I think I saw a solo Maria McKee touring her 'difficult' third album Life Is Sweet alone, with a really dirty-sounding electric guitar (or at least the rhythm section wasn't memorable at all). I was riveted for the whole show.

I opened a bunch of shows for Maria on that tour. It was her and a keyboard player. She was great every time out.
Marginal BCB contributor since 2006

pcqgod

Re: An artist and her instrument

Postby pcqgod » 21 Mar 2017, 14:34

PresMuffley wrote:Image

Is she a Mouseketeer?
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 22 Mar 2017, 19:21

Got something against fashion forward headgear?

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 22 Mar 2017, 19:29

PresMuffley wrote:Got something against fashion forward headgear?

Oh, that's Grimes? I like her.

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 22 Mar 2017, 19:36

Yeah, she's cool. Put on a fun show when I saw her several years back.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 23 Mar 2017, 00:29

saw Manu Delago last nite - very interesting artist and instrument.

wish I saw him in this setting 8-)

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 23 Mar 2017, 21:08

Hightea wrote:saw Manu Delago last nite - very interesting artist and instrument.

wish I saw him in this setting 8-)

I'm glad you posted that because it reminds me of one of the most interesting solo performances I ever witnessed, by Dead Can Dance's percussionist. He played the hang and at one point played a jaw-dropping solo on a middle-eastern tambourine. Anyone who thinks it's an easy instrument to play has never heard a master percussionist playing one!

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 24 Mar 2017, 01:48

^ Manu was impressive too, agree not easy. Manu was sometimes using this dis (can't find any video) on the hang. Made different pitches very interesting.

Return to “Yakety Yak”