First weird band you got into?

Do talk back
PresMuffley

First weird band you got into?

Postby PresMuffley » 12 Mar 2017, 14:01

By 'weird' I simply mean something not mainstream or at odds with what most of your peers were into.

In junior high I listened to a lot of hip hop, but that wasn't out of the norm. In my last year there a kid from Florida moved to town and we became friends. He was more of skater type guy but I remember him putting on a cassette of the debut Violent Femmes album. I had never heard anything like it, and I do credit that experience with opening up many new musical avenues to me. We didn't stay friends very long - he was kind of a shithead - but I heard not too long ago that he died of an opioid overdose. As with all instances such as these, it just felt like a huge waste.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Cantankerous
Robust

Re: First weird band you got into?

Postby Cantankerous » 12 Mar 2017, 17:22

Mothers of Invention 1966. Before that it was The Beatles, Stones, Beach Boys.

I was 13

Croan wrote:One thing about the Yanks - they never seriously piddled about in
anything as preposterously pointless as prog.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 12 Mar 2017, 17:49

It's hard to say, really. I mean, when I was 13, it was all Madchester, and I was getting into death metal and grind. I just never had the same taste as anyone around me. There were enough people who liked metal, but none who listened to the extremes, or listened to John Peel. Can't say I ever followed the crowd, culturally.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

NMB

Postby NMB » 12 Mar 2017, 19:27

In 1978 and aged 13 I don't recall any of my peers being into The Beatles. But a few years later I was certainly the only person I knew into free jazz so I might go with The Art Ensemble of Chicago.
turn on, tune in, nod off

robertff

Postby robertff » 12 Mar 2017, 20:54

British Blues Boom circa mid 60s, underground stuff (67/68) - not mainstream at the time, Captain Beefheart Strictly Personal followed very quickly by Safe as Milk.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 12 Mar 2017, 21:04

A lot of rock music sounded pretty weird to me around 1981, when most of what I'd heard up to then was top 40. So, the Doors, Queen, Pink Floyd all seemed pretty weird at one point.

Seeing the "new wave" era King Crimson on "Fridays" was a major influence in me seeking out more unusual sounds and stuff that wasn't straight-forward verse/chorus/verse song structure. The stuff Adrian Belew was doing with feedback in the second clip just blew my mind.

Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 12 Mar 2017, 21:50

Joy Division is the simple answer.

algroth

Postby algroth » 12 Mar 2017, 22:30

ELP, I would reckon, but your first definition of 'weird'. It was my gateway band into prog for the most part, along with Genesis or Floyd though these two were much more widely listened to amidst my schoolfriends.

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 12 Mar 2017, 23:28

the masked man wrote:Joy Division is the simple answer.

Just wanted to say I love Maya Deren. I used to have that gorgeous still as my avatar on the ol' IMDb refuge board.

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 12 Mar 2017, 23:37

pcqgod wrote:The stuff Adrian Belew was doing with feedback in the second clip just blew my mind.

Was that taped / recorded with a potato?

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 13 Mar 2017, 01:51

Zappa, of course, We Only In It For The Money, more specifically.
Question authority.

joels344

Postby joels344 » 13 Mar 2017, 02:20

King Crimson when I was about 17 years old. I still remember when my friend and I listened to In the Court of the Crimson King for the first time. We both thought it was the strangest thing ever.
90s Cup Champion, The Prog Cup 2019 Champion

Dayodead

Postby Dayodead » 13 Mar 2017, 02:59

PresMuffley wrote:By 'weird' I simply mean something not mainstream or at odds with what most of your peers were into.

Pretty much describes 90% of what I listened to....

martha
rambling rose

Postby martha » 13 Mar 2017, 05:24

Either the Germs or X probably. One of those. No one liked any of them or had heard of them at my elementary school in California as far as I could tell. My big brother was into the local punk scene in San Diego and LA. I had a couple of friends that liked UK punk and a few that liked the Ramones, but the local stuff was still really underground.

Then we moved to Flagstaff, Arizona a year later, I was like an alien life form. My tastes had morphed from L.A. punk to punk in general, dark wave/New Wave and Ska and I was absolutely unique in knowing those bands at the junior high there where everyone was listening to heavy metal, beach boys, disco or country. I remember they had a "silly dress" week my first month there, and one of the days was "dress like a punker" day, so I did....and was sent home by the administrators. Fun times.
--m.

ConnyOlivetti
Probing The Sonic Heritage

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 13 Mar 2017, 05:31

Started late with really listening to music, around 72-73

Faust
Can
Neu!
Kraftwerk
Charlie O. wrote:I think Coan and Googa are right.

Un enfant dans electronica!
Je suis!

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 13 Mar 2017, 08:42

martha wrote:Either the Germs or X probably. One of those. No one liked any of them or had heard of them at my elementary school in California as far as I could tell. My big brother was into the local punk scene in San Diego and LA. I had a couple of friends that liked UK punk and a few that liked the Ramones, but the local stuff was still really underground.

Then we moved to Flagstaff, Arizona a year later, I was like an alien life form. My tastes had morphed from L.A. punk to punk in general, dark wave/New Wave and Ska and I was absolutely unique in knowing those bands at the junior high there where everyone was listening to heavy metal, beach boys, disco or country. I remember they had a "silly dress" week my first month there, and one of the days was "dress like a punker" day, so I did....and was sent home by the administrators. Fun times.

That sounds like something straight out of Freaks & Geeks, only way cooler. I can't help but wonder what was expected by having a 'dress like a punker' day, and how you actually showed up, but perhaps you're saving it for your memoir.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 13 Mar 2017, 10:11

Um, they didn't have 'bands' when I were young, just groups. Or combos.
Nearest I can come to an answer is The Miracles, because the Spector groups all had hits. Except maybe Bob B Soxx and the Blue Jeans.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 13 Mar 2017, 10:14

Adam and the Ants.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 13 Mar 2017, 10:19

James Last Orchestra

The Rattles

Led Zeppelin

Focus

:idea:

The Beach Boys

Result!
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 13 Mar 2017, 13:05

Queen. I would have been about 8
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Return to “Yakety Yak”