Top 3 acts you think are terrible

Do talk back
Darkness_Fish

Re: Top 3 acts you think are terrible

Postby Darkness_Fish » 13 Mar 2017, 13:42

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:Scraping Fetus Off The Wheel

...in support of my theory that terrible bands usually succeed in choosing terrible names for themselves.

But Foetus had a bunch of names to choose from, he never chose a name until he narrowed it down to just "Foetus". Philip and His Foetus Vibrations was my particular favourite. Even now, he still goes by other names (Steroid Maximus, Clint Ruin, Manorexia, etc) .
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 13 Mar 2017, 16:04

Darkness_Fish wrote:
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:Scraping Fetus Off The Wheel

...in support of my theory that terrible bands usually succeed in choosing terrible names for themselves.

But Foetus had a bunch of names to choose from, he never chose a name until he narrowed it down to just "Foetus". Philip and His Foetus Vibrations was my particular favourite. Even now, he still goes by other names (Steroid Maximus, Clint Ruin, Manorexia, etc) .

How repulsive.

Was that Jim Thirlwell in real life BTW?

Anyway, a taste-free person.
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 13 Mar 2017, 16:14

Yep, James George Thirlwell. Class act.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 13 Mar 2017, 16:30

Darkness_Fish wrote:Yep, James George Thirlwell. Class act.

Would you care to describe why he's a fine artist?

Or were you being ironic?

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 13 Mar 2017, 16:48

martha wrote:
PresMuffley wrote:I blame Martha. She didn't put them on her list.

Had they been previously nominated? Sorry...maybe I cut and pasted over them....

I don't like them but I really liked playing bass guitar on No Sleep til Brooklyn on expert on Rock Band so I couldn't put Beastie Boys on my hate list. That song was challenging and fun to play.

Ditto RHCP - another band I don't like at all. I had a blast getting a perfect on vocals on Dani California on Rock Band so while I'd NEVER claim to like them at all, I can't say I absolutely hate them.

Osgood wrote:
Joy Division

*facepalm*

This just confounds me. How can anyone listen to Transmission or She's Lost Control and not love them?

Joy Division is the core of my musical aesthetics

They had some great records, undeniable, but their aesthetic is singular and very Joy Division. If you don't like it then you might find them rather awful. Same for the Smiths really. It's a very strong flavour that can bring out a very strong reaction either way
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 13 Mar 2017, 17:04

^^ Very well put, Goat Boy.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 13 Mar 2017, 18:52

Pearl Jam - couldn't find a melody if you put a gun to their heads.
Red Hot Chili Peppers - I hope they fall off the Bridge.
Rush - they seem like smart guys, so it surprises me they don't know their music sucks.
Last edited by sloopjohnc on 13 Mar 2017, 20:29, edited 1 time in total.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 13 Mar 2017, 19:10

Oh, I forgot the Queen!

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 13 Mar 2017, 19:19

Frank Zappa
Frank Zappa & the Mothers of Invention
Frank Zappa
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 13 Mar 2017, 20:35

Jethro Tull
The Doors
Elvis Costello
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

borofan

Postby borofan » 13 Mar 2017, 20:38

LMG wrote:
PresMuffley wrote:From the looks of things, everyone here absolutely adores hip hop.

Or...

...quite literally believes it to be beneath contempt.

LMG got it in one.
We're usually skipping around the function room in our long-johns by now...

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 13 Mar 2017, 21:21

martha wrote:The list so far...

Any band with a white guy who has dreadlocks

:lol:
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 13 Mar 2017, 22:09

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:

Because he's been one of the most inventive, distinctive musicians of the last thirty five years. He pioneered the 'artist as band' utilising studio technologies to create a huge, full, often aggressive sound in a style which has since become pretty much the dominant sound in American alt rock. The likes of Nine Inch Nails and Marilyn Manson have just least partially built their careers on a sound and concept he created.

They ultimately watered down his sound, and didn't have nearly the variety he's captured. Even in his early days he made Satie style piano tracks, and synth pop, alongside his more famous industrial rock megaliths. Nowadays, he's doing orchestral work, soundtrack scores, and still churning out the more recognisable rock stuff. And that's without taking into account some of the great albums he's lent his production skills to.

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 14 Mar 2017, 11:32

Darkness_Fish wrote:

Because he's been one of the most inventive, distinctive musicians of the last thirty five years. He pioneered the 'artist as band' utilising studio technologies to create a huge, full, often aggressive sound in a style which has since become pretty much the dominant sound in American alt rock. The likes of Nine Inch Nails and Marilyn Manson have just least partially built their careers on a sound and concept he created.

They ultimately watered down his sound, and didn't have nearly the variety he's captured. Even in his early days he made Satie style piano tracks, and synth pop, alongside his more famous industrial rock megaliths. Nowadays, he's doing orchestral work, soundtrack scores, and still churning out the more recognisable rock stuff. And that's without taking into account some of the great albums he's lent his production skills to.

:shock:

Who'd a thunk it?

Actually, you got me into sampling some of his material, honest.

No small feat, that.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 14 Mar 2017, 12:55

Darkness_Fish wrote:

:shock:

Who'd a thunk it?

Actually, you got me into sampling some of his material, honest.

No small feat, that.

If you fancied something outside of his rock nonsense, he did a kinda 70s-cop film soundtrack thing which I think is one of his best albums. Check out the big band sound here:

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 25 Mar 2017, 02:10

Just as an afterthought here, I thought that Porcupine Tree and Fischer-z were odd choices, not that I can't understand why some people wouldn't care for their music. I mean, was it a case of a roommate playing their albums constantly? :)
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 25 Mar 2017, 03:54

Guns n Roses - hateful; their one good song is ruined because of the twat singing on it, purveyors of the BCB sanctioned "Worst Cover Version Of All Time" award for - Kockin' on Heaven's Dow ow wah wah wah.

Grateful Dead - tedious beyond measure jam band who despite committing countless days, possibly weeks or months, of "music" to tape never wrote a single fucking tune ever.

Neil Young - whiney misanthrope, sounds like a mosquito singing in a bottle
Moorcock, Moorcock, Michael Moorcock, you fervently moan.

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

joels344

Postby joels344 » 25 Mar 2017, 04:57

I'll just add more for fun.

Pain of Salvation
The Beastie Boys
Rage Against the Machine
90s Cup Champion, The Prog Cup 2019 Champion

Graham Murakami

Postby Graham Murakami » 25 Mar 2017, 08:54

Copehead wrote:Grateful Dead - tedious beyond measure jam band who despite committing countless days, possibly weeks or months, of "music" to tape never wrote a single fucking tune ever.

Joni Mitchell anybody? She has written a tune (and I am humming it now) but there are whole albums which don't bother the melody-ometer once.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 25 Mar 2017, 10:37

Graham Murakami wrote:
Copehead wrote:Grateful Dead - tedious beyond measure jam band who despite committing countless days, possibly weeks or months, of "music" to tape never wrote a single fucking tune ever.

Joni Mitchell anybody? She has written a tune (and I am humming it now) but there are whole albums which don't bother the melody-ometer once.

You are both correct.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

Return to “Yakety Yak”