Warning: Genesis content

Do talk back
NMB

Re: Warning: Genesis content

Postby NMB » 10 Mar 2017, 09:03

Deebank wrote:Would Goat Boy like Trick Of The Tail?

I reckon so.

I think he'd find bits of both Trick and Wind & Wuthering to like, enough to keep coming back to anyway. After that he'll probably be tempted to try And Then There Were Three, he won't like it at first but he'll give it another go and then in a while another and he'll realise that he quite likes a few of the songs. So he'll move onto Duke, great! and then Abacab which he'll like because he'll find some electro-pop thing that chimes with him and then he's lost. He'll be buying the Phil Collins remasters before he knows it.
turn on, tune in, nod off

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 10 Mar 2017, 09:11

NMB wrote:

I reckon so.

I think he'd find bits of both Trick and Wind & Wuthering to like, enough to keep coming back to anyway. After that he'll probably be tempted to try And Then There Were Three, he won't like it at first but he'll give it another go and then in a while another and he'll realise that he quite likes a few of the songs. So he'll move onto Duke, great! and then Abacab which he'll like because he'll find some electro-pop thing that chimes with him and then he's lost. He'll be buying the Phil Collins remasters before he knows it.

You see it as a slippery slope, but I've managed to stay on the bits that I find rewarding - the 'gateway' Genesis - without being seduced by the harder stuff (by which I mean the softer stuff - but that would ruin my tenuous drug metaphor).

My Genesis likes are quite close to GB's - minus Lamb which I haven't really listened to in any depth and plus Trick... Mind you, I heard Paperlate for the first time in 35 years recently and it got stuck in my head, so maybe I am damned :?
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 10 Mar 2017, 10:06

NMB wrote:

I reckon so.

:lol: I think it would more humane to just shoot him now.

I think he would have a hard time getting past the vocals of Collins on A Trick of the Tail as wonderful as that album is. It would just remind him too much of the latter day Genesis.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 10 Mar 2017, 14:32

I was listening to Trespass last night and my turntable belt broke. You've been warned.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 10 Mar 2017, 14:34

Post-Gabriel Genesis has definite issues lyric-wise. It's like going from The Beatles to Wings. You have this uneasy feeling that they're going to say something stupid or don't really know what they're talking about. Even though Gabriel didn't write all the lyrics, you never had that feeling before. TOTT and WAW are both marvelous, but mostly because of the music and Banks finally getting all the space he wants.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

ConnyOlivetti
Probing The Sonic Heritage

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 10 Mar 2017, 14:52

Quacoan wrote:Post-Gabriel Genesis has definite issues lyric-wise. It's like going from The Beatles to Wings. You have this uneasy feeling that they're going to say something stupid or don't really know what they're talking about. Even though Gabriel didn't write all the lyrics, you never had that feeling before. TOTT and WAW are both marvelous, but mostly because of the music and Banks finally getting all the space he wants.

WAW! To much Banks for me!
TOTT is by far the best!
They rushed it!
Trick - Released 2/2-76
Wind - released 17/12-76

Should have taken the time and re-think their concept!
Or something! :?
Charlie O. wrote:I think Coan and Googa are right.

Un enfant dans electronica!
Je suis!

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 10 Mar 2017, 14:59

When I was on holiday in Greece in 2006 I spent quite a bit of time in record shops - lots of indies, and they still had a Virgin Megastore in Thessaloniki at that time. The places were stuffed with prog vinyl and CDs - the Greeks love that shit. I remember seeing the Toe Fat 2 cover for the first time in a dusty old record shop. Amazing.

Anyway I got talking to this lovely old fella who worked the shopfloor at the Megastore and he had all sorts of tales of who'd played there over the years. He'd been a roadie, played in local bands. He enjoyed talking and he loved his prog. I felt I had to buy some Genesis CDs (they'd just been remastered) so I came home with Foxtrot and Selling England By The Pound. The latter was OK, I suppose. I sold them both a few months later.

I don't know why I'm telling you this, really. I think sometimes you see the popularity of these bands in foreign countries and you think - oh, they must be good...
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 10 Mar 2017, 15:40

Maybe Continental nations/cultures appreciate it more because it has more of a connection to classical and folk music, since their cultures weren't hit as hard by American/British pop music. There is a floridity about a lot of Euro music that is not far off of prog. It's a theory anyway.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 10 Mar 2017, 16:41

Oh, for sure. I think there's something in that.

I had a similar experience in Italy, actually. Lots of prog in the CD shops - their home-grown stuff like PFM as well as the usual suspects. Whereas in Spain, they're more into power pop and garage and stuff like that.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 10 Mar 2017, 17:08

OH wrote:When I was on holiday in Greece in 2006 I spent quite a bit of time in record shops - lots of indies, and they still had a Virgin Megastore in Thessaloniki at that time. The places were stuffed with prog vinyl and CDs - the Greeks love that shit. I remember seeing the Toe Fat 2 cover for the first time in a dusty old record shop. Amazing.

Anyway I got talking to this lovely old fella who worked the shopfloor at the Megastore and he had all sorts of tales of who'd played there over the years. He'd been a roadie, played in local bands. He enjoyed talking and he loved his prog. I felt I had to buy some Genesis CDs (they'd just been remastered) so I came home with Foxtrot and Selling England By The Pound. The latter was OK, I suppose. I sold them both a few months later.

I don't know why I'm telling you this, really. I think sometimes you see the popularity of these bands in foreign countries and you think - oh, they must be good...

We don't like Prog as much as we like metal and that is a FACT!
I run out of talent

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 10 Mar 2017, 17:41

OH wrote:oh for fuck's sake honestly

’’
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 10 Mar 2017, 19:10

Rayge wrote:
OH wrote:oh for fuck's sake honestly

’’

Ray, you'd love Robbery Assault and Battery. As a Londoner it would speak to you deeply... in your native accent!
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 10 Mar 2017, 20:51

Harvey K-Tel wrote:I was listening to Trespass last night and my turntable belt broke. You've been warned.

i love the pastoral sound of trespass. it can be quite beautiful.

i used to think cryme through lamb built up sequentially, ending on lamb, the greatest. but foxtrot has risen in my estimation over the last several years. my ranking depends quite a bit on mood.

oh, and i'm another trickofthetailer. that was my first and my gateway.

cheers, goat boy and pete.

Nancy
Daft Sod

Postby Nancy » 10 Mar 2017, 21:48

kath wrote:
Harvey K-Tel wrote:I was listening to Trespass last night and my turntable belt broke. You've been warned.

i love the pastoral sound of trespass. it can be quite beautiful.

i used to think cryme through lamb built up sequentially, ending on lamb, the greatest. but foxtrot has risen in my estimation over the last several years. my ranking depends quite a bit on mood.

oh, and i'm another trickofthetailer. that was my first and my gateway.

cheers, goat boy and pete.

I agree completely with my better half on almost all of the above here. I have gotten her turned on more to Trespass than she used to be, and she has tried mightily with The Lamb to varying degrees of success with me. I really love about half of it, like about 1/4 of it, and then there's that other 1/4 that just won't click with me. However, Kath will persist and someday I will see the wisdom of her wisdom. Sometime's I'm a bit slow on the uptake on these things.

Oh, and I'll take whatever slings and arrows I need to on this one, but I think "Driving The Last Spike" from the last album they made with Phil is a masterpiece.
Pontificating incorrigibly since birth.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 10 Mar 2017, 22:12

End of days, I tells ya.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 10 Mar 2017, 23:29

Ranking Ted wrote:End of days, I tells ya.

what. it's not like i've been drinking on a friday night.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 08 Apr 2017, 22:56

I'm not usually much bothered about surround sound mixes but I'm playing the 5.1 mix of The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway and it is pretty stunning.

Return to “Yakety Yak”