From Here To Eternity: Live
No votes
Live at Shea Stadium
1%

Total votes: 71

pcqgod

The Clash album poll

Postby pcqgod » 07 Mar 2017, 16:16

Two choices, so everyone will pick 'The Clash' (77) and 'London Calling', right? ;)

Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Re: The Clash album poll

Postby clive gash » 07 Mar 2017, 16:21

The first and Combat Rock.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 07 Mar 2017, 16:24

Nah. London Calling is the best, but there's better stuff on Sandinista than the first album, which suffers from not having Topper drumming, and a not-so-tasty second side made thoroughly unpalatable by six minutes of Police and Thieves.
I haven't heard the live releases, and while there's obviously a lot of filler on Sandinista, I still preferred it to the first.
Not that I'll ever listen to any of them again.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 07 Mar 2017, 16:25

clive gash wrote:The first and Combat Rock.

Not 'Cut the Crap'?
Controversy fail.
;)
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 07 Mar 2017, 16:39

Black Market Clash

Sandinista

May seem odd, is not.

The LPs that most impressed me at the time were London Calling and Combat Rock.

But the most durable pleasure I got out of the two I chose.

I have Black Market Clash in the original 10" format, and their rendition of Willi Williams' 'Armagideon Time' may well be the best reggae production of any white band in history altogether.

Sandinista! is the best hits & misses album for me, ever. Come to think of it: there aren't that many duds on it at all, it's more that critics at the time said something to this effect. Nick Kent quibbled about the 'wafer-thin production of Bill Price'.

Nonsense. It's hugely enjoyable. And it was controversial at the time, not because it was 'punk', no, it was quite contrary to any dogmatic punk-spirit.

(Punk was, after one or two months, quickly becoming boring and dogmatic and predictable, anyway. Should we critically re-appraise this, eh, phenomenon?)

And, lest I forget: London Calling was quite enjoyable pubrock. In the Shakin' Stevens and Alvin Stardust tradition.
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 07 Mar 2017, 16:48

pcqgod wrote:Two choices, so everyone will pick 'The Clash' (77) and 'London Calling', right? ;)

Obviously
I run out of talent

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 07 Mar 2017, 17:13

The debut is quite good.

The rest are turds.
You don't like me...do you?

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 07 Mar 2017, 17:51

London Calling and Black Market.

The live cd's are very good as well.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 07 Mar 2017, 18:27

The 2 editions of the debut are easily the two best. Although I like London Calling, Black Market Clash and even Give 'Em Enough Rope a great deal. Sandinista is a bloated, pretentious mess, but it has its moments. Anything else, meh.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 07 Mar 2017, 18:30

I took "Sandanista!" and "Combat Rock" just to be a pain in the ass. I figured "London Calling" would walk it. London Calling is pretty great but I don't like each and every track like most people do. The same could be said of "Sandanista!" but I've got a lot of good will for that one. it was playing everywhere interesting people were for a couple of interesting months. these things count in the long haul.

I know "Combat Rock" is the "sell out album" but god DAMN, if you're gonna sell out then why not have public service announcements with guitars? I think it's a damned good album.
uggy poopy doody.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 07 Mar 2017, 18:58

Walk In My Shadow wrote:

I think 'From Here to Eternity' is pretty good. Haven't heard the Shea Stadium one.

Actually, to this date I still haven't heard 'Sandinista' in its entirety, so part of the reason for this poll was my desire to see who would pick it over the obvious choices.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 07 Mar 2017, 19:29

I took the first one and Black Market Clash, but you have to really like and appreciate dub, in my opinion, to get the full value of Black Market Clash.

I listened to London Calling a couple weeks ago and probably would've listed it as their tour de force if I hadn't listened to it recently. It hasn't held up very well. I like London Calling, Spanish Bombs and the Clampdown, but not a whole lot after that.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 07 Mar 2017, 19:45

pcqgod wrote:
Walk In My Shadow wrote:

I think 'From Here to Eternity' is pretty good. Haven't heard the Shea Stadium one.

Actually, to this date I still haven't heard 'Sandinista' in its entirety, so part of the reason for this poll was my desire to see who would pick it over the obvious choices.

From Here to Eternity is a compilation of different gigs while Shea Stadium is one show. The Clash played support to the Who and gave it their all. It is one hot show, very recommended.

Sandinista! is a mountain of an album, they put perhaps too many things in it. It takes several listens to digest and even then..
GuyE made a redux version of it and that really IS better than the official version. He changed running order, put extra tracks in, etc.
If you can get it that's the one!
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 07 Mar 2017, 20:58

yomptepi wrote:The debut is quite good.

The rest are turds.

Yep.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 07 Mar 2017, 22:07

OH wrote:

The rest are turds.

Yep.

No surprise at Yomp - but only "quite good", John? And the rest completely worthless?

At certain points in my life, I'd probably make a case for even the maddening Sandinista! or the flawed GEER. But, today, it's the fabulous blast of the debut and the tantalising glimpse of a lost future that is Combat Rock.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 07 Mar 2017, 22:09

Of the comps and live albums, Shea Stadium is a band firing on all cylinders. Amazing it went phut almost immediately afterwards.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 07 Mar 2017, 22:28

Ranking Ted wrote:
OH wrote:

The rest are turds.

Yep.

No surprise at Yomp - but only "quite good", John? And the rest completely worthless?

I love the debut - one of my top ten all-time albums. So, yeah, I was understating.

The follow-up has two crackers and the rest is rubbish. And London Calling is a sack of shit.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 07 Mar 2017, 22:48

Ranking Ted wrote:
OH wrote:

The rest are turds.

Yep.

Police and thieves is a travesty. It destroys the flow of the record. they could have left it off, and the record would have been 7 minutes shorter, but twice as good.

Of course one they had recorded it , they decided they were the fucking Rolling stones, and fucked off to America to make a record with the Blue Oyster Cult. Cunts. I can never understand why anyone would think they any good. Fucking posers.
You don't like me...do you?

echolalia

Postby echolalia » 07 Mar 2017, 23:15

Obviously anyone who doesn’t like the first doesn’t like the Clash. (Especially the US release with Jail Guitar Doors.) I like a few songs on the second but it’s not that great really. London Calling was the album where all the bogus Clash fans got on board – it’s fucking terrible. And Sandinista is the one I play these days – easily my favourite Clash album.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 08 Mar 2017, 03:19

The first clearly, and then a dead heat these days between LC and CR.

I am constantly flabbergasted by the outright hatred shown by some Clash fans around here for LC, like our young echolalia above. It's not perfect by a long shot, but any record that has 'The Card Cheat', 'Train In Vain', 'The Right Profile', 'Rudie Can't Fail', 'Spanish Bombs' and 'Lost In The Supermarket' still gets my vote.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Return to “Yakety Yak”