50th anniversary Sgt Pepper - 1, 2 and multi-disc deluxe box set

Do talk back
jimboo

Re: 50th anniversary Sergeant Peppers to "reinstate" Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane

Postby jimboo » 05 Apr 2017, 20:20

Dog Pickle 'BEAUT' wrote:
soundchaser wrote:The greatest album of all time.

Cheers me to read that.

Sometimes I think it is. The sound of the thing is still absolutely extraordinary.

It sounds more quaint as every year passes. I suppose it is like when people reminisce about spangles or walnut whips , better to talk about rather than taste or listen too. It really doesn't sound amazing either , which tracks sound extraordinary ? Eight of the tracks are really utter drivel.
Goat Boy wrote:Oh, do fuck off, prog boy.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Re: 50th anniversary Sergeant Peppers to "reinstate" Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane

Postby soundchaser » 05 Apr 2017, 20:31

jimboo wrote:

Cheers me to read that.

Sometimes I think it is. The sound of the thing is still absolutely extraordinary.

It sounds more quaint as every year passes. I suppose it is like when people reminisce about spangles or walnut whips , better to talk about rather than taste or listen too. It really doesn't sound amazing either , which tracks sound extraordinary ? Eight of the tracks are really utter drivel.

Perhaps music's not your thing?

jimboo

Re: 50th anniversary Sgt Pepper deluxe set on Amazon Italy for UK£81 as of 5/4

Postby jimboo » 05 Apr 2017, 20:31

Ah , but that's it , it is.

fueryIre

Postby fueryIre » 05 Apr 2017, 20:58

Having been bought all the albums as a wedding present when they got the bells and whistles reissue in Sept 2009, I really can't see me justifying paying UK£80 for a bunch of stuff past experience has taught me I'll probably only ever look at or listen to once at most

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 05 Apr 2017, 21:00

A kid swapping a fishing rod for a Dr. Feelgood album.

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 06 Apr 2017, 09:10

Cheers me to read that.

That's it for me – it's all about the sound of it. It's not their best collection of songs by a long way. but every sound on it is glorious. The bass is melodic, bright, punchy (Geoff Emerick's book has a great section on recording the bass for Pepper). The guitars are all so bright, so crisp and clean, or so dirty – every guitar sound on Pepper is a joy in itself. The horns are like sunshine, the effects are theatrical and perfectly atmospheric. The voices sound otherworldy – too pure, too beautiful, too heavenly.

(I remember when I was a lot younger listening to it while tripping – probably the most trippy trip I ever took, with lots of hash to boost the acid. I watched the music dance out of the speakers and make pattersn around the room, every colour imaginabe (and more) and finding the sounds themselves to be the key to its beauty. Sounds daft to say it now, but for me it's a very special memory. I'll grant you that doesn't come across!)

I love it to pieces, and every time I play it, I feel like I'm treating myself, in a way that I get with no other record. It's not my favourite album by some way, but it's the only record by anyone that feels as special as it does, and that's almost completely down to the sound.

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 06 Apr 2017, 09:24

I'm pleased to see that the new mix has been guided by the mono mix.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 06 Apr 2017, 10:41

fueryIre wrote:Having been bought all the albums as a wedding present when they got the bells and whistles reissue in Sept 2009, I really can't see me justifying paying UK£80 for a bunch of stuff past experience has taught me I'll probably only ever look at or listen to once at most

Same - it looks like a real "listen once and file away" collection. Moreso than Anthology 2, at least that had some oddities like Step Inside Love and You Know My Name...There really must be nothing else from that half-year other than the core Sgt Pepper/SFF/PL song set. So I've no room for another box, I'll listen to it on Youtube in 2018.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 06 Apr 2017, 12:01

bhoywonder wrote:

Cheers me to read that.

That's it for me – it's all about the sound of it. It's not their best collection of songs by a long way. but every sound on it is glorious. The bass is melodic, bright, punchy (Geoff Emerick's book has a great section on recording the bass for Pepper). The guitars are all so bright, so crisp and clean, or so dirty – every guitar sound on Pepper is a joy in itself. The horns are like sunshine, the effects are theatrical and perfectly atmospheric. The voices sound otherworldy – too pure, too beautiful, too heavenly.

(I remember when I was a lot younger listening to it while tripping – probably the most trippy trip I ever took, with lots of hash to boost the acid. I watched the music dance out of the speakers and make pattersn around the room, every colour imaginabe (and more) and finding the sounds themselves to be the key to its beauty. Sounds daft to say it now, but for me it's a very special memory. I'll grant you that doesn't come across!)

I love it to pieces, and every time I play it, I feel like I'm treating myself, in a way that I get with no other record. It's not my favourite album by some way, but it's the only record by anyone that feels as special as it does, and that's almost completely down to the sound.

Excellent post, a great read.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 06 Apr 2017, 12:46

jimboo wrote:

Cheers me to read that.

When you're wrong, Jimboo you are very wrong.

I think the whole thing sounds amazing. The reverb, the crisp detail, the lovely punch of the whole thing. The performances are tremendous, I mean, the band are killing it. Macca especially. What tracks sound extraordinary? Lovely Rita...Within You...Mr Kite...A Day In The Life etc. Nothing else really sounds like this.

Quaint? Perhaps. It's certainly of its time (what the hell isn't?). Who the fuck these days would write a song about a Victorian circus for example? But then English psych did look back to childhood and an older, weirder, Albion. That's part of its charm. Sonically I don't find the kaleidoscopic montage of Mr Kite quaint, if you mean old fashioned by that. To me it sounds genuinely magical, offset brilliantly by the sawdusty dryness of the rest of the rest of the song. Not all Pepper has that airy, reverby thing going on. Good Morning is one of the earthiest things they ever did (check out those horns! Fuck!).

A Day In The Life still destroys damn near everything else, ever. Those rising orchestral passages are probably what the end of the world sounds like. The section after Maccs bit with Lennons cosmic vocal is the most majestic 30 seconds in rock. I know this for a fact. Just thinking about it brings a lump to my throat man. That section alone sounds more extraordinary than anything else. I don't think it's sad to somehow conclude that, in some ways, it was actually all downhill after that. For rock I mean.

We all have records that other wankers like us love that leave us cold. if you ain't feeling it man, you ain't feeling it. I've been feeling Pepper for 20+ years now. I still get a contact high just thinking about some of this shit.

It does have a singular magic. Greatest album ever? It's maybe not even the greatest Beatles album ever but, shit, it's one fuck of a thing.
Copehead wrote:You are making a fool of yourself.

Lord Rother, talking about Big Big Train wrote:the best band on the planet right now

Dr. B. Eef
hounds people off the board

Postby Dr. B. Eef » 06 Apr 2017, 13:00

Goat Boy wrote:
A Day In The Life still destroys damn near everything else, ever. Those rising orchestral passages are probably what the end of the world sounds like. The section after Maccs bit with Lennons cosmic vocal is the most majestic 30 seconds in rock. I know this for a fact. Just thinking about it brings a lump to my throat man. That section alone sounds more extraordinary than anything else.

Loved all of what you wrote but I singled this out because I think it's spot on. On paper, the whole thing is the most preposterously ambitious idea, pushing up against the edges of the medium - but the bastards actually realised it.

I like to think of that final crashing chord as a kind of 'follow THAT!' - and nobody could. Not even them.
The Savage Young Gash wrote:Who needs dancing when you have sports and fresh Californian produce?

Dr. B. Eef

Postby Dr. B. Eef » 06 Apr 2017, 13:00

We need to do a sync-listen of this soon.
The Savage Young Gash wrote:Who needs dancing when you have sports and fresh Californian produce?

The Savage Young Gash
cultural defective

Postby The Savage Young Gash » 06 Apr 2017, 13:13

1st June?
Dogshit wrote:I'd like to say I;d never resort to bombs - but I;m not sure I can ever truly walk in those shoes

Dogshit wrote:I do find the inclusion of women unsavoury

Dogshit wrote:Did either Duck Dunn or James Jefferson change music irrevocably?

K

Postby K » 06 Apr 2017, 13:14

GB knocks it out of the park and like bhoy said earlier, the sheer sound of it is incredible. The sound is glorious. The bass! How did they get that sound? It is perfect, incredible, exhilarating.
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
I assume this is one of Gash's 'jests'

Dr. B. Eef

Postby Dr. B. Eef » 06 Apr 2017, 13:15

Like the fuzzbox, first heard on some Ventures' thing in 1962, or the drone, first heard in early VU or 'You Keep Me Hanging On' in 1966, those slowly rising chords at the end of ADITL is a simple idea that is likely to have been recorded at some stage anyway, I think. We're just lucky they got there first and made it sound like the end of the world.

Dr. B. Eef

Postby Dr. B. Eef » 06 Apr 2017, 13:15

clive gash wrote:1st June?

This weekend!

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 06 Apr 2017, 13:21

I love it, but I am not going to buy it again. I already have four copies. And as has been said before, who really listens to all the extra stuff?
You don't like me...do you?

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 06 Apr 2017, 13:27

Goat Boy wrote:
jimboo wrote:

When you're wrong, Jimboo you are very wrong.

I think the whole thing sounds amazing. The reverb, the crisp detail, the lovely punch of the whole thing. The performances are tremendous, I mean, the band are killing it. Macca especially. What tracks sound extraordinary? Lovely Rita...Within You...Mr Kite...A Day In The Life etc. Nothing else really sounds like this.

Quaint? Perhaps. It's certainly of its time (what the hell isn't?). Who the fuck these days would write a song about a Victorian circus for example? But then English psych did look back to childhood and an older, weirder, Albion. That's part of its charm. Sonically I don't find the kaleidoscopic montage of Mr Kite quaint, if you mean old fashioned by that. To me it sounds genuinely magical, offset brilliantly by the sawdusty dryness of the rest of the rest of the song. Not all Pepper has that airy, reverby thing going on. Good Morning is one of the earthiest things they ever did (check out those horns! Fuck!).

A Day In The Life still destroys damn near everything else, ever. Those rising orchestral passages are probably what the end of the world sounds like. The section after Maccs bit with Lennons cosmic vocal is the most majestic 30 seconds in rock. I know this for a fact. Just thinking about it brings a lump to my throat man. That section alone sounds more extraordinary than anything else. I don't think it's sad to somehow conclude that, in some ways, it was actually all downhill after that. For rock I mean.

We all have records that other wankers like us love that leave us cold. if you ain't feeling it man, you ain't feeling it. I've been feeling Pepper for 20+ years now. I still get a contact high just thinking about some of this shit.

It does have a singular magic. Greatest album ever? It's maybe not even the greatest Beatles album ever but, shit, it's one fuck of a thing.

I get peeps love it , they have been told nothing else for the last 50 years , best Beatles album evah !

Within You is totally indefensible pap , Mr Kite is straight out of chitty chitty bang bang and who wants to write a song about a Victorian circus let alone alone listen to it. I think a day in the life is the best song . Is it this all crushing megamonolithic clarion call of the Gods , no ? It is alright , that is it. If you think Lennons vocal is cosmic and majestic , i don't know what to tell you . Rock , had been , was and would continue to be better in many more ways than the Fabs ever could be. It's your thing , cool . It just sounds like a P.T.Barnum musical.

I think. We're just lucky they got there first and made it sound like the end of the world.

That is just silly.

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 06 Apr 2017, 13:31

K wrote:GB knocks it out of the park and like bhoy said earlier, the sheer sound of it is incredible. The sound is glorious. The bass! How did they get that sound? It is perfect, incredible, exhilarating.

If you want the full version of 'how did they get that sound?', read Geoff Emerick's book. It's a great read, really, and one of the few fabs books to a) be written by someone involved and b) to talk about the music, rather than the whole phenomenon/circus. But the long and the short is that they recorded the bass after everything else was finished. They stuck the bass amp in the middle of the room at studio 2 (I think), and put the mic about 6-8ft away. Then they ran a long lead up to the control room where Paul and Geoff sat together. They turned the amp up unbearably loud (hence not being in the same room, and the distance of the mic) and away they went.

I once interviewed John Fry at Ardent in Memphis, and he couldn't stop talking about how important the position of the mic is when trying to get a great sound (somethign I'm aware of from recordings I've done). Paul and Geoff obsessed about this bass osund, spending entire nights trying to get it just right. What's interesting is that none of the others hung around for these sessions. Paul would always be there to support the others on their parts and their songs (interfering, they dcame to think of it as in later years), but when it came ot the bass, they just left him to it. Thanks lads!

I could go on... the bass on that album is one of the most glorious things in the history of recorded sound. When I was learning to play bass, I obsessed over learnign every part (which I did – and even got myself a vintage rickenbaker 4001!). I recommend sticking the album on the headphones sometime and just following the bass. From start to finish it's extraordinary, it's just sooooo good, man! On When I'm 64 and With a Little Help, it dances around, makes comical little flourishes, just the right side of pastiche. On Lucy it waltzes through the verses, dancing the listener around Lennon's images, before ripping into the chorus rock'n'roll style. On Lovely Rita (the hardest part to figure out, I found), it's all over the place, leaping through the octaves, jigging about all over the shop, impossible to pin down. On Mr Kite, the bass creeps and dances like something out of the sorcerers apprentice. The whole album I swear, that bass is about the best thing I ever heard.

I could go on... :oops:

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 06 Apr 2017, 13:31

yomptepi wrote:I love it, but I am not going to buy it again. I already have four copies. And as has been said before, who really listens to all the extra stuff?

I do. Endlessly. That Smile sessions boxset is a great example. I can't get enough of that wonderful stuff! :D

But I get why a lot of people don't.

Return to “Yakety Yak”