50th anniversary Sgt Pepper - 1, 2 and multi-disc deluxe box set

Do talk back
fire and fueryIre

50th anniversary Sgt Pepper - 1, 2 and multi-disc deluxe box set

Postby fire and fueryIre » 05 Mar 2017, 17:42

The "as the band originally intended it" release is out on June 1st apparently. Wonder where the tracks were supposed to have been in the track listing before they were put out as singles and removed from the album
Last edited by fire and fueryIre on 09 Jun 2017, 13:23, edited 6 times in total.

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Re: 50th anniversary Sergeant Peppers to reinstate Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane

Postby Moleskin » 05 Mar 2017, 17:52

I don't imagine they ever had a place. They were set aside for a single before the album was in shape, surely? February 1967 release, the album following 4 months later.

If this is in response to the Mirror article, I don't believe for one moment that any "fans" were angry the two songs weren't included. They wouldn't have expected them to be in 1967, and nobody since then counts.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

fire and fueryIre

Re: 50th anniversary Sergeant Peppers to reinstate Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane

Postby fire and fueryIre » 05 Mar 2017, 18:38

Moleskin wrote:I don't imagine they ever had a place. They were set aside for a single before the album was in shape, surely? February 1967 release, the album following 4 months later.

If this is in response to the Mirror article, I don't believe for one moment that any "fans" were angry the two songs weren't included. They wouldn't have expected them to be in 1967, and nobody since then counts.

No it was in the Sunset Times. Clearly states that the band and George M wanted it on the album and were overruled (presumably by EMI).
Given that the various band members' every solitary toe-clipping session has now been documented, it all sounds a bit suspicious that no one has ever mentioned this before.

Wonder if Derek Taylor's descendants are trying to drum up a bit of interest ahead of the album's coming out.

Dayodead

Postby Dayodead » 05 Mar 2017, 19:23

Both songs were recorded early in the Sgt. Pepper sessions..The record company, somehow fearing the group would lose audience if there was no release every six months (???) (coupled with the fact they were no longer touring), pressured them into releasing a single....

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 05 Mar 2017, 20:15

Do you reckon it's a single person's full-time job to try and think of novel ways to fleece Beatles fans, or is it a team effort? I like the idea of one person having a job title of Beatle-fleecer.
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 05 Mar 2017, 22:30

I'm quite happy with them appearing on Magical Mystery Tour, I don't want or need them on Sgt Pepper thank you very much.

Darkness_Fish wrote:Do you reckon it's a single person's full-time job to try and think of novel ways to fleece Beatles fans, or is it a team effort? I like the idea of one person having a job title of Beatle-fleecer.

:lol: not as far fetched as it sounds.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 06 Mar 2017, 01:55

It's an interesting bit of revisionist history. Over the decades Pepper has lost a little luster as the consensus "best album ever" to a host of other contenders (including a few from The Beatles). Adding those two songs would pretty much solidify that reputation for the foreseeable future.

If this release can actually pull the trick of convincing the world that the new version is the "real" Pepper - the Pet Sounds/Revolver/White Album/etc debates will be a thing of the past.
Marginal BCB contributor since 2006

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 06 Mar 2017, 02:05

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:It's an interesting bit of revisionist history. Over the decades Pepper has lost a little luster as the consensus "best album ever" to a host of other contenders (including a few from The Beatles). Adding those two songs would pretty much solidify that reputation for the foreseeable future.

If this release can actually pull the trick of convincing the world that the new version is the "real" Pepper - the Pet Sounds/Revolver/White Album/etc debates will be a thing of the past.

You think so? I can't imagine anybody at this late date really accepting those two songs as part of Pepper, or hearing the album as somehow improved by their presence - awesomely great songs though they be.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 06 Mar 2017, 03:15

Charlie O. wrote:
Davey the Fat Boy wrote:It's an interesting bit of revisionist history. Over the decades Pepper has lost a little luster as the consensus "best album ever" to a host of other contenders (including a few from The Beatles). Adding those two songs would pretty much solidify that reputation for the foreseeable future.

You think so? I can't imagine anybody at this late date really accepting those two songs as part of Pepper, or hearing the album as somehow improved by their presence - awesomely great songs though they be.

We would never accept it - but folks younger than us might (and future generations certainly would).

Remember the CD releases. Here in the US we finally heard the UK versions of those albums. Revolver's reputation instantly grew by leaps and bounds (and let's not forget how Brian Wilson's legend grew when The Beach Boys CDs were released). This could have a similar effect if people buy the notion that the album was intended to have those songs.
Marginal BCB contributor since 2006

robertff

Postby robertff » 06 Mar 2017, 07:24

If it's true then personally I think it's a great idea. Always felt that the two tracks should have been on the album when it was first released.

Interesting to know how they would go about sequencing them onto the original - would they have to remove a couple of tracks or would they fit onto the existing vinyl time wise? Perhaps it would spill over into a double album with just a few tracks on each side or maybe just a three sided album, with an 'etching or picture of the band on the fourth? Looking forward to seeing what they do with it, if it's true.

Won't be the first time they've changed the tracks on an album, Let It Be (Naked) improved that album greatly IMO.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 06 Mar 2017, 08:06

Nah. Part of the greatness of those albums was that singles were conceived separately. Those two songs were conceived, from beginning to end, as a new single release. I don't buy that anything else has anything more to it than revisionist history, even if it's the principals, or their representatives, revising it. Albums didn't necessarily have singles between 66-68. In fact I suspect most didn't.

Now if you want to include them as bonus tracks, that's a different story. Heck, give us ALL the singles from the period and restore MMT to double-EP status.
sloopjohnc wrote:I know I picked the Diamondbacks, but they were the wildcard. Next teams will be a little tougher.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 06 Mar 2017, 10:37

Is this an official story, or just a rumour?

JQW

Postby JQW » 06 Mar 2017, 10:58

There was a brief article in yesterday's Sunday Times, apparently, but it was somewhat lacking in detail.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 06 Mar 2017, 11:19

I doubt they'd actually add in songs. The Beatles as a commodity is too valuable to tamper with their ten year record.

I think the magazine/LPs are a good idea. A novel way to re-push the catalogue and maybe a sign that the sun is setting on vinyl again.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 06 Mar 2017, 11:40

robertff wrote:If it's true then personally I think it's a great idea. Always felt that the two tracks should have been on the album when it was first released.

Interesting to know how they would go about sequencing them onto the original - would they have to remove a couple of tracks or would they fit onto the existing vinyl time wise? Perhaps it would spill over into a double album with just a few tracks on each side or maybe just a three sided album, with an 'etching or picture of the band on the fourth? Looking forward to seeing what they do with it, if it's true.

Won't be the first time they've changed the tracks on an album, Let It Be (Naked) improved that album greatly IMO.

Agree - whether they can fit this onto the album without removing others, or without turning it into a double album, is key. If it becomes a double album, it is a completely different album in my mind, and if they remove others, you can't argue that it's part of the original vision of the album. If they can be squeezed in, that's great. In terms of sequencing, Penny Lane has to squeeze in between When I'm 64 and Lovely Rita. I'd love for Strawberry Fields to be before A Day in the Life, but perhaps also at the end of Side 1 after Mr Kite...or maybe even as the very first song :shock: .
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

kewl klive
cultural defective

Postby kewl klive » 06 Mar 2017, 12:46

Until I see otherwise I don't think this'll be presented as a "Pepper" with the single folded in somehow. My bet would be a Beatles '67 set with "Pepper" on one disc, extra tracks on the other(s). Fingers crossed for a "Smile Sessions" style mega-box.
Diamond Dog wrote:RIP Jake. A tough, tough, tough man. A man you really didn't want to get into a street brawl with.

Bald and Boring Kal wrote:John posted a picture of me which he'd doctored nastily

Osgood

Postby Osgood » 08 Mar 2017, 14:20

Just found that the original LP clocks below 40', so adding a little over 7' for Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields Forever would be feasible in a single LP. Probably timing would influence sequencing if doing so. It's been often said that George Martin regretted having left PL and SFF off the album. Pity he's no more with us to tell where he'd put them.
Nobody's ferpect.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 08 Mar 2017, 15:32

I'll buy anything Pepper. I'd like to have these included but a set of session material would be cool. Carnival of Light as well?
Lord Rother wrote:Missing the sublime sense of melody which David Longdon brought to the group but nonetheless a damn fine album.

Big Big Train - Goodbye To The Age of Steam

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 08 Mar 2017, 15:33

clive gash wrote:Fingers crossed for a "Smile Sessions" style mega-box.

!

I still haven't actually made it all the way through that.
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 08 Mar 2017, 16:24

I opened it up the other day, and it is phenomenal. Hard to really wrap your head around the wealth of musical riches therein. In fact, I had to put it away because I was being overwhelmed and tuning out!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -