50th anniversary Sgt Pepper - 1, 2 and multi-disc deluxe box set

Do talk back
Six String

Re: 50th anniversary Sgt Pepper - 1, 2 and multi-disc deluxe box set

Postby Six String » 11 Jun 2017, 04:06

I've been ignoring that thread on Hoffman's board because I know better but I decided to take a peek and saw there were 273 pages :o I was going to start in the middle somewhere but the first page stated this was a continuation from a previous thread.
:shock: Holy crap! How can they go on and on about this?
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 11 Jun 2017, 04:09

Six String wrote:I've been ignoring that thread on Hoffman's board because I know better but I decided to take a peek and saw there were 273 pages :o I was going to start in the middle somewhere but the first page stated this was a continuation from a previous thread.

Pro tip: avoid the first thread.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Six String

Postby Six String » 11 Jun 2017, 05:05

Still Baron wrote:
Six String wrote:I've been ignoring that thread on Hoffman's board because I know better but I decided to take a peek and saw there were 273 pages :o I was going to start in the middle somewhere but the first page stated this was a continuation from a previous thread.

Pro tip: avoid the first thread.

The sevond one is bad too. I gave up trying to find something interesting to me. Holy crap. It's worse than usual but maybe it's because I avoid Beatle threads over there as a rule. I guess I forgot how insane they can take his shit.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 12 Jun 2017, 18:43

I was working in a recording studio a few weeks ago when this came out, one of the guys had just bought it & we were listening to the new stero mix vs the original mono on the studio monitors.

At high volume I did notice a bit of high-end harshness in the new mixes, as well as the fact that the vocals are really pushed forward, more so than before. But it was really more 3-D and the individual elements were really crisply defined. We all marveled at certain things we had never heard clearly before.

I'd agree with BF that any fan of the record should at least give it a listen. But it's not necessarily way better than the original mono.

Tactful Cactus wrote:
Anyone watch the Howard Goodall Sgt Pepper program? I missed it last night but I feel like everythings already been said about Pepper (including by HG himself). Anything new or different thats worth the time?

It was a little dry but enjoyable. The main thing I got out of it was hearing the calliope track from Mr Kite soloed out. It was produced not by actually recording a calliope but by taking existing recordings of them, chopping them into one second fragments of tape, and then pasting them together at random. So you get this slightly cacophonous background track that's constantly shifting, as if you're walking around the circus past different rides and a different song is playing on each one. That was cool!
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 25 Jun 2017, 19:23

Finally got my copy of the deluxe box * - first listen!

The remix certainly allows me hear with new ears something I thought I knew by heart. Macca's bass is a bit too prominent for my liking, but the voices are amazing! Pros certainly outweigh the cons for me!

* ... in fact I got two: after it failed to materialise for three weeks, I ordered a replacement at Amazon - now I discovered two big parcels waiting for me after my holiday and Amazon is expecting me to send back the first one.

I'd rather keep (and pay for) both than send back (and pay postage for) a 7.7 lb package, but this doesn't seem to be possible....?.
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 25 Jun 2017, 21:10

I'd rather keep (and pay for) both than send back (and pay postage for) a 7.7 lb package, but this doesn't seem to be possible....?.[/i]

In the States, at least, Amazon pays return postage. Yoy fill out the form (it's on your orders page) and print out a prepaid shipping label.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

Return to “Yakety Yak”