Michael Nesmith

Do talk back
kalowski II: The Revenge
wannabee enfant terrible

Michael Nesmith

Postby kalowski II: The Revenge » 05 Feb 2017, 19:50

Spurred on by this (yes another article from Pitchfork - hipster!)

Michael Nesmith: The Closest The Monkees Ever Got to Cool

http://pitchfork.com/thepitch/1331-mich ... ot-to-cool

He really was magnificent. I've been in love with "Wax Minute" from the moment I heard it, the perfect combination of the traditional (Nez's tangy drawl, Red Rhodes) and the modern (the surprising and nourishing melody, the colour of the thing, the space-rock).

A comp of his best solo and Monkees tracks would be formidable.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Kal ‘Roger Cock’ Hodgson wrote:I have just discovered that the fake Markus account was not John...I would like to apologise for suggesting it was him.

Rayge

Re: Michael Nesmith

Postby Rayge » 05 Feb 2017, 20:10

clive gash wrote:Spurred on by this (yes another article from Pitchfork - hipster!)

He really was magnificent. I've been in love with "Wax Minute" from the moment I heard it, the perfect combination of the traditional (Nez's tangy drawl, Red Rhodes) and the modern (the surprising and nourishing melody, the colour of the thing, the space-rock).

A comp of his best solo and Monkees tracks would be formidable.

He is magnificent; I have been known to taunt Beatle fans with the undeniable fact that his solo career eclipsed those of the four mop-heads put together.
Tantamount to Treason was the album that hooked me, too, especially side two.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 05 Feb 2017, 20:33

Rayge wrote:I have been known to taunt Beatle fans with the undeniable fact that his solo career eclipsed those of the four mop-heads put together.

One could make a case for that - though like some of those ex-Fabs he'd pretty well blown his wad by the mid-'70s. Those First and Second National Band albums are doozies, though, and I like select cuts off the next few. And I enjoyed his novel. And I like him.

wannabee enfant terrible

Postby kalowski II: The Revenge » 05 Feb 2017, 20:35

What about his hats Charlie, you like 'em too?

;)

Kal ‘Roger Cock’ Hodgson wrote:I have just discovered that the fake Markus account was not John...I would like to apologise for suggesting it was him.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 05 Feb 2017, 20:39

I'm glad he didn't wear the wool hat during the reunion shows. That would have been more creepy than funny.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 05 Feb 2017, 20:41

Charlie O. wrote:
Rayge wrote:I have been known to taunt Beatle fans with the undeniable fact that his solo career eclipsed those of the four mop-heads put together.

One could make a case for that - though like some of those ex-Fabs he'd pretty well blown his wad by the mid-'70s. Those First and Second National Band albums are doozies, though, and I like select cuts off the next few.

Radio Engine and Infinite Rider (77 and 79) are the peaks for me, but not by much. It's the sheer quantity of high quality songs and productions, with few if any duds or filler, that make the difference for me.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 05 Feb 2017, 20:42

We'll have to agree to disagree on those!

fire and fueryIre

Postby fire and fueryIre » 06 Feb 2017, 08:58

Given that everyone over 70 seems to be kicking the bucket, thought for a horrible minute he'd died.

Have been a huge Papa Nes fan since picking up Nevada Fighter in a Dublin Record shop in about 1972. Subsequently bought everything
up to and including Live at the Palais which I was just playing on Saturday morning

Saw him a couple of times in the mid-70s, once at the Victoria Theatre during a Zig Zag concert (after which I got the first five albums
autographed) and then for a second time doing The Prison in Sheffield a couple of years later

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 06 Feb 2017, 19:03

I never got the chance to see Nesmith with the Monkees, but the one time I caught him solo was one of the funnest shows I've ever attended.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 18 Feb 2017, 20:55

Learnt last night: the Triumph Bonneville that Arlo Guthrie is seen riding/posing with on the cover of his best album was loaned for the photo shoot by none other than Monkee Mike. What a swell guy!

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 29 Aug 2017, 03:09

I'm reading his "autobiographical riff" now. I was reading it during my break from work today, and when I got back to work the phone rang and the caller ID read "Michael Blessing"! For a nanosecond I thought, whoa, is he calling me because I bought his book??

billy
A pound

Postby billy » 29 Aug 2017, 21:23

Well worth hearing are his Roundhouse 74 appearance from this box:

and this:

mantochanga wrote:Dave Bartram from Showaddywaddy - on telly every week, but most people didn't even know his name. No burdening us with his issues or personal life, just a straightforward entertainer. Navvy!

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 29 Aug 2017, 21:30

billy wrote:Well worth hearing are his Roundhouse 74 appearance from this box:

While I was delighted that that got a release, I was deeply peeved that they edited out one of my favorite bits from the bootleg: Nes and Red rehearsing "Wax Minute" in front of the audience...

And billy, have you heard the BBC set?? Amazon says it's not out for another three weeks or so...

wannabee enfant terrible

Postby kalowski II: The Revenge » 29 Aug 2017, 21:37

Wonderful, wonderful.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 29 Aug 2017, 21:46

I know, right?

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 29 Aug 2017, 22:59

Hope he's nowhere near his hometown right now.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 29 Aug 2017, 23:13

neville harp wrote:Spurred on by this (yes another article from Pitchfork - hipster!)

Not half as interesting as your description frankly. I do have the First National album on vinyl and must give it a proper listen. I do hope it's better than the bland track you posted.

wannabee enfant terrible

Postby kalowski II: The Revenge » 29 Aug 2017, 23:26

Fingers crossed G x

billy
A pound

Postby billy » 30 Aug 2017, 15:00

Charlie O. wrote:
billy wrote:Well worth hearing are his Roundhouse 74 appearance from this box:

While I was delighted that that got a release, I was deeply peeved that they edited out one of my favorite bits from the bootleg: Nes and Red rehearsing "Wax Minute" in front of the audience...

And billy, have you heard the BBC set?? Amazon says it's not out for another three weeks or so...

preview ;)
mantochanga wrote:Dave Bartram from Showaddywaddy - on telly every week, but most people didn't even know his name. No burdening us with his issues or personal life, just a straightforward entertainer. Navvy!

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 30 Aug 2017, 20:21

I always liked him as a personality. He was always my favorite Monkee on the TV show but why wouldn't he be? he wore the sock hat!
I like him enough that I've given that "Infinite Tuesday" book a good graze. He's an interesting guy. I wish I liked his music better than I do. I think his songs and his singing range from fair to good. I'll admit some of those songs are pretty damned good - I'm thinking Joanne & Papa Gene's Blues off the top of my head. Also, he had the good sense to slap Red Rhodes all over those solo records and to pick "Repo Man" out of a stack so, he's got a lot going for him.

I like him. His book is very good natured otherwise it might seem a little pretentious. He has an engaging take on things and some of his songs seem very well put together to me. I think my main problem with Nez himself might be fans I know who insist that to NOT give Michael Nesmith the same stature they do is an act of something like cowardice. Still, the fact that he inspires such rabid fans (I've known more than a few. Gram Parsons is a BUM according to some of these) ... the fact that he inspires such rabid fans is really a feather in his cap. Bottom line: I don't much care for his singing voice I guess.

But, when I was a kid and he did that press conference telling America that the Monkees didn't play on their own records - that struck me as a great pop culture moment. I'd been making the case to my Monkee fan friends that it didn't seem right to compare them to the Beatles for that very reason. the last thing I expected was for a Monkee to make that argument in public.

Nowadays, I think it's amusing that they ended up using a lot of the same songwriters and session players but it still seems like a pretty weird thing for somebody in that position to do. I guess I'll always love him for that, some good songs and the fact that he wore the sock hat.
scan not a friend with a microscopic glass