What's your opinion on Father John Misty?

Do talk back
User avatar
neville harp
cultural defective
Posts: 13214
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: pivoting towards woke-ness

Re: What's your opinion on Father John Misty?

Postby neville harp » 05 Feb 2017, 10:50

mission wrote:http://www.bcb-board.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=126391&p=3646619&hilit=misty#p3646619


Convince me, should I bother?
Diamond Dog wrote:I can only suggest you check the FB thread The Prof started about us - and see how well you did in that me old china.


K wrote: (But I am happily married, John)


User avatar
mission
Posts: 2012
Joined: 04 Apr 2008, 13:39

Re: What's your opinion on Father John Misty?

Postby mission » 06 Feb 2017, 13:49

Well, I am not going to be able to convince anybody. I need to convince myself in order to do that and I only really enjoy the theory of the bloke.

He's an interesting character. He sings well. He is riven by contradiction. He is a fake, sincerely peddling fake sincerity, and appears simultaneously amused and appalled by the allegedly post-ironic bind he finds himself in.

He plainly enjoys smoking bucketloads of skunky weed and is living a life the 19-year-old who resides within would have given his left bollock to live.

As for the tunes - well, it's as if Tumbleweeds-era Elton John suddenly woke up in in 2017 and reacted by spending his entire time smoking pot and fucking about on the internet.
Good.

User avatar
Tactful Cactus
Posts: 17801
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 14:21
Location: by your window

Re: What's your opinion on Father John Misty?

Postby Tactful Cactus » 06 Feb 2017, 14:02

mission wrote:As for the tunes - well, it's as if Tumbleweeds-era Elton John suddenly woke up in in 2017 and reacted by spending his entire time smoking pot and fucking about on the internet.


As good an analogy as you'll find on the internet today :D

User avatar
HarryIrene
Posts: 135
Joined: 08 Jan 2015, 15:11
Location: Scotland

Re: What's your opinion on Father John Misty?

Postby HarryIrene » 06 Feb 2017, 16:49

I like both his albums but i preferred him when he was recording as J.Tillman. I can't really work out who the real person is. A guy i know got me into him after we met him outside of a Fleet Foxes gig in Glasgow and he began a conversation with him about his solo albums. My friend subsequently played me some songs off of Minor Works and i liked them right away. Ended up buying that and its follow up Cancer And Delirium. After that i was a fan and acquired cd re issues of his first 2 solo albums and we went to see him play to a small audience downstairs in a pub touring his next album Vacilando Territry Blues. It was good stuff for someone into Bonnie Prince Billy or the starker areas of Smog's discography. Stayed the course for his next two solo albums for more of the same. He seemed to be a talented guy playing to a small cult audience of guys like me in their late 30's/early 40's who liked the above and Fleet Foxes. A bit like Mark Kozelek/Sun Kil Moon. In a similar way to him he seems to have suddenly re-invented himself and reached a whole new audience. Creating a new persona and a radical shift in musical style as FJM has made him famous and got him a completely new younger audience. I like the records but it seems contrived. He has said that the j. Tillman years were marked by depression and drugs etc and he wanted to shake all that baggage off so maybe the new guy is more true to his current self. I kind of miss the old acoustic downbeat guy but either way he is a very talented singer/songwriter who has re-invented himself as a compelling performer.
Nothing To See Here. Move Right Along

User avatar
Neige
Alpine Numpty
Posts: 15828
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 11:11
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Re: What's your opinion on Father John Misty?

Postby Neige » 09 Aug 2017, 17:52

Had no opportunity yet to see FJM live, but here he is at Roskilde this summer.

Fabulous show, great band, incredible sound... and I'm moved by all the Danes up front knowing his lyrics by heart.

Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

User avatar
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes
Posts: 17001
Joined: 17 Oct 2010, 14:10
Location: The Nether World

Re: What's your opinion on Father John Misty?

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 09 Aug 2017, 17:53

Neige wrote:Had no opportunity yet to see FJM live, but here he is at Roskilde this summer.

Fabulous show, great band, incredible sound... and I'm moved by all the Danes up front knowing his lyrics by heart.



Cheers for that, Neige!
The invisible and the non-existing very much look alike.

User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 45581
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

Re: What's your opinion on Father John Misty?

Postby Quaco » 09 Aug 2017, 19:19

Recently struck by a song on the radio called "In Twenty Years or So" that annoyed me in various ways. Despite it being acoustic and intimate, I could still feel the metronome clicking away in the background. The faux-Elton-faux-country singing that emphasizes certain words that don't need emphasizing ("ridiculous", "serious"), as if he is reading the lyrics rather than meaning anything. The stately Pink Floyd pacing which I immediately felt was destined to be 10,000 people's life-changing moment when seen live. (The comments section of the YouTube video would make you think this man is the second coming of Christ.) The modern-day nihilism being transcended by the simple act of sitting having a drink with one's loved one, all so pat. The mention of that Talking Heads song as a totem for this generation's view of what's real (quirky attaining epic proportions/Wes Anderson/all emotions have to be flawed in some way). It's hard to put into words and convey how annoyed I got. It's alright objectively, but it kept striking the wrong chord for me.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

User avatar
Neige
Alpine Numpty
Posts: 15828
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 11:11
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Re: What's your opinion on Father John Misty?

Postby Neige » 09 Aug 2017, 21:02

I totally see what you mean, Jim :)

The messianic aspect puts me off, but it's also part of what fascinates me. And I like the tunes.
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 45581
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

Re: What's your opinion on Father John Misty?

Postby Quaco » 09 Aug 2017, 21:07

And I completely forgive you! <3
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

User avatar
Jeemo
Posts: 19911
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 23:17
Location: ????

Re: What's your opinion on Father John Misty?

Postby Jeemo » 09 Aug 2017, 21:47

can't get past the stupid fucking name.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

User avatar
Samoan
Posts: 9416
Joined: 28 May 2008, 10:22
Location: The Steaming Metropolis

Re: What's your opinion on Father John Misty?

Postby Samoan » 09 Aug 2017, 21:51

He is no fan of Jeremy Corbyn, going by his Glastonbury performance which was excellent so that is ok with me. Beautiful voice.
Quaco wrote: (The comments section of the YouTube video would make you think this man is the second coming of Christ.)

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=133525

User avatar
The Modernist
Posts: 8106
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: What's your opinion on Father John Misty?

Postby The Modernist » 10 Aug 2017, 10:09

The hipster version of Elton John or David Gray with an English degree. God help us.

User avatar
The Modernist
Posts: 8106
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: What's your opinion on Father John Misty?

Postby The Modernist » 10 Aug 2017, 10:21

The Modernist wrote:The hipster version of Elton John or David Gray with an English degree. God help us.


Or Chris Martin in a cowboy hat.

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 29384
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: What's your opinion on Father John Misty?

Postby Goat Boy » 10 Aug 2017, 11:16

He actually has digs at hipsters although hipsters are clearly part of his audience. I can understand the objections but he can write a tune, he has talent and he's an interesting character who reveals his flaws, his prejudices and his bullshit in his lyrics. You might not like him but he is human and he's not afraid to reveal this. The last two albums are good.
Copehead wrote:You are making a fool of yourself.


Muskrat wrote:I'm undemonstrative during shows; no matter how much I enjoy them. People who get up and move around ("dance," if they will) strike me as show-offs

User avatar
Jumper K
Posts: 981
Joined: 22 Oct 2014, 16:25

Re: What's your opinion on Father John Misty?

Postby Jumper K » 10 Aug 2017, 15:47

He's an insufferable prick.

User avatar
neville harp
cultural defective
Posts: 13214
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: pivoting towards woke-ness

Re: What's your opinion on Father John Misty?

Postby neville harp » 10 Aug 2017, 15:55

Jumper K wrote:He's an insufferable prick.


Sounds right up my street, where should I start?
Diamond Dog wrote:I can only suggest you check the FB thread The Prof started about us - and see how well you did in that me old china.


K wrote: (But I am happily married, John)


User avatar
Jumper K
Posts: 981
Joined: 22 Oct 2014, 16:25

Re: What's your opinion on Father John Misty?

Postby Jumper K » 10 Aug 2017, 16:37

The Savage Young Gash wrote:
Jumper K wrote:He's an insufferable prick.


Sounds right up my street, where should I start?

You'll love it all. No doubt.

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 58716
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12
Location: One quake away from beachfront property
Contact:

Re: What's your opinion on Father John Misty?

Postby sloopjohnc » Yesterday, 23:57

Quaco wrote:Recently struck by a song on the radio called "In Twenty Years or So" that annoyed me in various ways. Despite it being acoustic and intimate, I could still feel the metronome clicking away in the background. The faux-Elton-faux-country singing that emphasizes certain words that don't need emphasizing ("ridiculous", "serious"), as if he is reading the lyrics rather than meaning anything. The stately Pink Floyd pacing which I immediately felt was destined to be 10,000 people's life-changing moment when seen live. (The comments section of the YouTube video would make you think this man is the second coming of Christ.) The modern-day nihilism being transcended by the simple act of sitting having a drink with one's loved one, all so pat. The mention of that Talking Heads song as a totem for this generation's view of what's real (quirky attaining epic proportions/Wes Anderson/all emotions have to be flawed in some way). It's hard to put into words and convey how annoyed I got. It's alright objectively, but it kept striking the wrong chord for me.


I've only read about him and the songs on this thread are the first things I've heard. Your assessment is exactly what I felt listening to the crap.

His name is stupid too. He is very punchable sounding.
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:I for one wouldn't want to know what memories and deep and dark forces drive Ed Sheeran, Coldplay, or Radiohead, for certain.

User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 45581
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

Re: What's your opinion on Father John Misty?

Postby Quaco » Today, 04:38

Goat Boy wrote:He actually has digs at hipsters

First thing a hipster does.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


Return to “Yakety Yak”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], Davey the Fat Boy, Google [Bot] and 2 guests