The 2017 new music thread

Do talk back
algroth

Re: The 2017 new music thread

Postby algroth » 15 Apr 2017, 15:09

Haven't listened to this yet, but the singles have me pretty intrigued (that is a dismal album cover though).

(Warning: NSFW)

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 15 Apr 2017, 21:30

joels344 wrote:
Tactful Cactus wrote:
Oscar52 wrote:Ken Duckworth - Damn.

What do you think? I like it on first listen, less of the jazz epic of TPaB but that would have been a tall order after only one year. Its very very good though.

Note, this is based solely off my initial listen. I plan on doing another listen today, because multiple listens allow you to see the album in a different light.

I found it disappointing with very few memorable aspects about the album. Which is unfortunate after being impressed by the emotion of good kid, m.A.A.d city and being absolutely blown away by ambition of To Pimp a Butterfly. I also loved the jazz-oriented compilation album, untitled unmastered. With this in mind, I was greatly looking forward to this album. However, I found the majority of tracks to be rather average, West Coast hip-hop that lacked the diverse themes and ideas I had admired Kendrick Lamar for in the past. It's not to say the album is 'terrible' or anything. It's just mediocre at best and will sadly be a forgettable Kendrick release. DAMN. is one of those albums I would only listen to certain tracks while skipping others, but never the project as a whole when there are far superior releases to select from.

Initial rating: 2.5/5.

I do need to give this a proper airing... but it doesn't seem to be knocking me off my feet with the somewhat staggered attempts I've had so far. good kid, m.A.A.d city and To Pimp a Butterfly were quick hits and demanded attention whereas this one... I like... but I think I may be supressing disappointment.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 15 Apr 2017, 23:17

Oscar52 wrote:
joels344 wrote:
Tactful Cactus wrote:
What do you think? I like it on first listen, less of the jazz epic of TPaB but that would have been a tall order after only one year. Its very very good though.

Note, this is based solely off my initial listen. I plan on doing another listen today, because multiple listens allow you to see the album in a different light.

I found it disappointing with very few memorable aspects about the album. Which is unfortunate after being impressed by the emotion of good kid, m.A.A.d city and being absolutely blown away by ambition of To Pimp a Butterfly. I also loved the jazz-oriented compilation album, untitled unmastered. With this in mind, I was greatly looking forward to this album. However, I found the majority of tracks to be rather average, West Coast hip-hop that lacked the diverse themes and ideas I had admired Kendrick Lamar for in the past. It's not to say the album is 'terrible' or anything. It's just mediocre at best and will sadly be a forgettable Kendrick release. DAMN. is one of those albums I would only listen to certain tracks while skipping others, but never the project as a whole when there are far superior releases to select from.

I do need to give this a proper airing... but it doesn't seem to be knocking me off my feet with the somewhat staggered attempts I've had so far. good kid, m.A.A.d city and To Pimp a Butterfly were quick hits and demanded attention whereas this one... I like... but I think I may be supressing disappointment.

Couple of spins in, the highlights so far are DNA, Duckworth, Yah, Element, Pride -- I get what you're saying though, tracks like Fear and Loyalty don't leave a big impression so far

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 16 Apr 2017, 09:26

Tactful Cactus wrote:
Oscar52 wrote:
joels344 wrote:

Couple of spins in, the highlights so far are DNA, Duckworth, Yah, Element, Pride -- I get what you're saying though, tracks like Fear and Loyalty don't leave a big impression so far

Yes, Loyalty actually made me cringe a little. Still, the album is very listenable and it's a bit unreasonable of anyone to expect more Butterfly.

joels344

Postby joels344 » 16 Apr 2017, 14:28

Oscar52 wrote:
Tactful Cactus wrote:
Oscar52 wrote:

Yes, Loyalty actually made me cringe a little. Still, the album is very listenable and it's a bit unreasonable of anyone to expect more Butterfly.

The album had a few cringe worthy moments, but that's especially the case for "Loyalty." Is there some requirement that every modern hip-hop album feature Rihanna on at least one track?
90s Cup Champion, The Prog Cup 2019 Champion

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 16 Apr 2017, 21:25

I like the album a lot.

It's not Butterfly but pretty much nothing else is. It might not be as wildly inventive or as instantly powerful as that album, but I think that there's an awful lot of content there; it's more introspective and nuanced than that record. The way that Kendrick uses his vocals is extraordinary: switching personas, styles, identities at will.

There are certainly a couple of weaker moments - like the rest of you I'm not keen on the Rihanna cut - and there is no immediate hit like 'Alright', 'King Kunta' or 'The Blacker the Berry', but the production feels more relaxed and organic. It's certainly a long way from being a generic hip-hop record. The record feels significant but in a different way to its predecessor: where that was a sprawling masterpiece, this is the intimate, reflective, lower-key follow-up. Not as good as that monumental statement, but a worthy successor.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 17 Apr 2017, 06:18

I like the new Conor Oberst album. Not a thing I'd normally listen too much. Also the new Joey Bada$$ album is quickly knocking my socks off.
king of the divan

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 28 Apr 2017, 14:13

BNQT : Volume one

As you probably know, made up of members from Midlake, Grandaddy, Franz Ferdinand and (gulp) Fran Healy from Travis. Rather good, very polished and sounds like a good time was had by all

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 28 Apr 2017, 23:13

Rubik's Cube murder! I might be in love. Looking forward to her album, Morningside, coming next week:

https://www.groenland.com/en/product/fazerdaze-morningside-iii/
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

driftin

Postby driftin » 29 Apr 2017, 09:51

Best albums of the year so far:

I have a feeling Forest Swords' “Compassion” is gonna be up there too. Only heard 3 cuts from it but they're all marvellous.

I don't care what anyone says, the quality of music's as good as it's always been. The only difference is now there's new kinds of it and there's a lot more to sift through.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 30 Apr 2017, 11:44

So far, I've only had time for 'comfort zone'-bands- the new Moon Duo and Black Angels-albums which both are very good but not spectacular.

Forest Swords has been pushed very heavily on my FB-wall, must revisit. Most of their stuff was OK if a little underwhelming.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 02 May 2017, 19:20

slightbreeze wrote:Image

As you probably know, made up of members from Midlake, Grandaddy, Franz Ferdinand and (gulp) Fran Healy from Travis. Rather good, very polished and sounds like a good time was had by all
And pronounced "Banquet" apparently. Easy on the ears. Nice to listen to something uncomplicated.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 02 May 2017, 19:24

Oscar52 wrote:
slightbreeze wrote:Image

And pronounced "Banquet" apparently. Easy on the ears. Nice to listen to something uncomplicated.

Absolutely. Nothing earth shattering, but the majority of music isn't.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 13 May 2017, 11:28

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 13 May 2017, 11:29

Wonderful ( but I'm a fan, anyway )

Double post. Sorry,

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 13 May 2017, 11:35

Bedouine -- I like this, very 60's folk in style and it looks like a music video from about 1968, but its a cut above most retro folk thats out these days

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 16 May 2017, 20:20

Apparently a new one by Jane Weaver out this week.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 20 May 2017, 08:54

Tactful Cactus wrote:Bedouine -- I like this, very 60's folk in style and it looks like a music video from about 1968, but its a cut above most retro folk thats out these days

Downloaded this last week. The sweetest thing I've heard all year.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 21 May 2017, 11:53

Oscar52 wrote:Downloaded this last week. The sweetest thing I've heard all year.

Yea, I might get her album. Let me know your thoughts when you've given it a few spins

Brother Spoon
Billy Crystal

Postby Brother Spoon » 23 May 2017, 20:30

It's all new stuff that I've been into recently.

Like this new Sneaks album (well, 10 songs in 18 minutes):

Minimalist one woman with bass guitar band.
Just some freeflowing attitude, but funny too. Did they just make this up? Sure sounds like it, but in a good way.

The Coco Hames album is all I hoped for:

From a venerable garage rock dynasty, with added country flavor.

It's going over well in all the music press -it's got that 'authenticity'-, but I can't hold it against it. Love it. James Xerxes Fussell:

There's, as always, some definitely off-beam surrealist stuff going on where I live.
Brutal groove stuff from Gruppo di Pawlowski hits all the right buttons. Can't make heads or tails of it, but Mauro Pawlowski never fails me, ever since his early Evil Superstars work.
https://soundcloud.com/gruppodipawlowski/honest-all-night

Return to “Yakety Yak”