The 2017 new music thread

Do talk back
jimboo

Re: The 2017 new music thread

Postby jimboo » 07 Apr 2017, 12:21

bhoywonder wrote:This new album from New Zealand's Aldous Harding is pretty special. Out next month, and doing a couple of UK shows. Reports of her live shows are 'not to be missed' and 'don't dare talk during any of it' :D

WOW !! Never heard her before . I like it . Thanks man
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 07 Apr 2017, 12:46

jimboo wrote:
bhoywonder wrote:This new album from New Zealand's Aldous Harding is pretty special. Out next month, and doing a couple of UK shows. Reports of her live shows are 'not to be missed' and 'don't dare talk during any of it' :D

The album is a cracker – every song is superb. She's touring next month and I'm really looking forward to seeing her. I'm told her live shows are quite the ticket.

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 08 Apr 2017, 11:45

PURE COMEDY - FATHER JOHN MISTY

I must say, I did kind of find myself actually hating this after listening to his hipster twists on standard Elton John ballads throughout the whole album. Maybe the wrong mood to listen.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 08 Apr 2017, 11:57

I love the new Goldfrapp!
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 08 Apr 2017, 11:58

I bought this due to Nolamike posting the single on FB.... the album is really very good.

Hurray For The Riff Raff "The Navigator".

Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

ConnyOlivetti
Probing The Sonic Heritage

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 08 Apr 2017, 18:08

jimboo wrote:

Indeed!
Charlie O. wrote:I think Coan and Googa are right.

Un enfant dans electronica!
Je suis!

Graham Murakami

Postby Graham Murakami » 08 Apr 2017, 22:15

Very Good:
Hurray for the Riff Raff - as above
Monster Movie - part of the Slowdive family tree
The Shins - his best ever

I am struggling a bit with:
British Sea Power - no songs
Jesus and Mary Chain - it's not exactly a record that could have caused riots

Fantastic reissues:
The Doors 50th Anniversary
The Who Live at Leeds (new in HDtracks.co.uk)
Abbey Road

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 08 Apr 2017, 23:56

Oscar52 wrote:Image

PURE COMEDY - FATHER JOHN MISTY

I must say, I did kind of find myself actually hating this after listening to his hipster twists on standard Elton John ballads throughout the whole album. Maybe the wrong mood to listen.

I don't hate it, just struggled with the length of it. The songs are so verbose, he makes Costello sound tongue tied, but when he sings, he still has the voice of an angel.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 09 Apr 2017, 20:24

I know that loud, aggressive music doesn't go down well around here, as the loud cup proved, but Uniform's Wake in Fright should go down well with anyone who wants something heavily influenced by Big Black, Ministry, and a hint of Suicide. Their influences are well pronounced, but it seems a long time since there was anything in this vein, properly balancing rock with a bit of electronics.

Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 11 Apr 2017, 13:59

PENK wrote:
clive gash wrote:That track isn't a knockout (according to the tracklist I saw it's not included on the record)

It's the fourth in a series (as the title suggests) and none of them have featured on the full albums.

There's a reference to "April 7th" in the lyrics which suggests he'll drop something on that date. Apparently a previous 'Heart' release had "October 18th" in the lyrics and that was the date Good Kid came out, so...

This popped up on Amazon and one or two other sites today, with a 12th May release date, but there's no info about what it is and nothing in the news about it. No idea what "Blackstar Recordings" is either, he's signed to Top Dawg, so this might just be some crappy cash-in...

Track listing just been officially released, Ft U2, not a sample. Ugh :roll:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BSvfNwxBynw/

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 11 Apr 2017, 17:13

jimboo wrote:

Sounds like something I also need to check out.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 11 Apr 2017, 17:30

never/ever wrote:I love the new Goldfrapp!

Me too and also Heartworms by the Shins as mentioned by Slightbreeze up-thread.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

dgs

Postby dgs » 13 Apr 2017, 16:59

Oscar52 wrote:Image

Mono No Aware - Various Artists

Mono No Aware (もののあわれ) is the first compilation to be released on PAN, collating unreleased ambient tracks from both new and existing PAN artists.

DGS would love this.

DGS does indeed love this. Great shout Lenny, its wholly absorbing listen from start to finish.

I have some recommendations that I will post in due course but loving this one.
I'm a panic depressive and suffer from manic attacks. :(

dgs

Postby dgs » 13 Apr 2017, 17:00

Darkness_Fish wrote:I know that loud, aggressive music doesn't go down well around here, as the loud cup proved, but Uniform's Wake in Fright should go down well with anyone who wants something heavily influenced by Big Black, Ministry, and a hint of Suicide. Their influences are well pronounced, but it seems a long time since there was anything in this vein, properly balancing rock with a bit of electronics.

I tried this and it was on the upper side of the label that I couldn't listen to and I like some merzbow stuff.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 13 Apr 2017, 17:05

dgs wrote:I tried this and it was on the upper side of the label that I couldn't listen to and I like some merzbow stuff.

It's certainly not in the Merzbow league, noise-wise, but it's nice in a simple, punchy brutal way. I had the album on in the kitchen yesterday, my son (who's 9) walked in, asked "is this rock music?", and proceeded to wiggle his bum at me as though he was Rod Stewart in 1972. So it can't be that unlistenable. Or my son's weird.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

dgs

Postby dgs » 13 Apr 2017, 17:16

Darkness_Fish wrote:
dgs wrote:I tried this and it was on the upper side of the label that I couldn't listen to and I like some merzbow stuff.

It's certainly not in the Merzbow league, noise-wise, but it's nice in a simple, punchy brutal way. I had the album on in the kitchen yesterday, my son (who's 9) walked in, asked "is this rock music?", and proceeded to wiggle his bum at me as though he was Rod Stewart in 1972. So it can't be that unlistenable. Or my son's weird.

its the vocals that put me off on this one. i love lots of the sacred bones output, esp blanck mass but there is something about the vocals that..no, lose the vocals then yes.

Graham Murakami

Postby Graham Murakami » 13 Apr 2017, 21:03

Timber Timbre: Sincerely, Future Pollution

This seems a very important album - very powerful epic-sounding synth-led stuff from what I thought was a straight-ahead Canadian indie band.

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 15 Apr 2017, 10:35

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 15 Apr 2017, 12:21

Oscar52 wrote:Ken Duckworth - Damn.

What do you think? I like it on first listen, less of the jazz epic of TPaB but that would have been a tall order after only one year. Its very very good though.

joels344

Postby joels344 » 15 Apr 2017, 14:47

Tactful Cactus wrote:
Oscar52 wrote:Ken Duckworth - Damn.

What do you think? I like it on first listen, less of the jazz epic of TPaB but that would have been a tall order after only one year. Its very very good though.

Note, this is based solely off my initial listen. I plan on doing another listen today, because multiple listens allow you to see the album in a different light.

I found it disappointing with very few memorable aspects about the album. Which is unfortunate after being impressed by the emotion of good kid, m.A.A.d city and being absolutely blown away by ambition of To Pimp a Butterfly. I also loved the jazz-oriented compilation album, untitled unmastered. With this in mind, I was greatly looking forward to this album. However, I found the majority of tracks to be rather average, West Coast hip-hop that lacked the diverse themes and ideas I had admired Kendrick Lamar for in the past. It's not to say the album is 'terrible' or anything. It's just mediocre at best and will sadly be a forgettable Kendrick release. DAMN. is one of those albums I would only listen to certain tracks while skipping others, but never the project as a whole when there are far superior releases to select from.

Initial rating: 2.5/5.
90s Cup Champion, The Prog Cup 2019 Champion

Return to “Yakety Yak”