The Buzzcocks

Do talk back
Dr Markus

The Buzzcocks

Postby Dr Markus » 20 Oct 2016, 21:59

"One of the most important punks bands ever"

This is the sales pitch on Irish radio right now for their up coming gigs. Well?, One of the most important punks bands ever?

No punk without them? did they push the boundaries? were/are they the living embodiment of punk?

I hate statement likes these

"One of the most important (insert genre) bands ever".

So I guess I'm putting the buzzcocks on trial here or at least this statement about them.

Go.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

jimboo

Re: The Buzzcocks

Postby jimboo » 20 Oct 2016, 22:08

I love the Buzzcocks.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 20 Oct 2016, 22:13

They were very important.

First diy punk single.

Third punk single ever.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 20 Oct 2016, 22:15

Loved them.

Now indiff.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 20 Oct 2016, 22:15

jimboo ™ wrote:I love the Buzzcocks.

Me too. I can't imagine tiring of them. And yet, every time they come up, people say they are bored with them or Singles Going Steady is all they need. The world is a sad place sometimes.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 20 Oct 2016, 22:24

kitchen vs. tension?
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 20 Oct 2016, 22:37

Kitchen but Tension is brilliant as well
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 20 Oct 2016, 23:37

Jeemo wrote:Kitchen but Tension is brilliant as well

I'd reverse that, but there's not too much between them.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 20 Oct 2016, 23:42

Jeemo wrote:They were very important.

First diy punk single.

Third punk single ever.

In my opinion, they melded pop and punk as well as the Ramones. Their bastard offspring happen to be older bands like 999 and more current bands like Green Day, Sum 41 and Blink 182. I gotta think Billie Joe Armstrong was trying to fashion a Buzzcocks thing when they started.

I liked Pete Shelley's electronic phase too - Homosapien is a great, great record.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 20 Oct 2016, 23:47

sloopjohnc wrote:
Jeemo wrote:They were very important.

First diy punk single.

Third punk single ever.

In my opinion, they melded pop and punk as well as the Ramones. Their bastard offspring happen to be older bands like 999 and more current bands like Green Day, Sum 41 and Blink 182. I gotta think Billie Joe Armstrong was trying to fashion a Buzzcocks thing when they started.

I liked Pete Shelley's electronic phase too - Homosapien is a great, great record.

How are 999 Buzzcocks offspring?
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 21 Oct 2016, 00:47

sloopjohnc wrote:Their bastard offspring happen to be older bands like 999 and more current bands like Green Day, Sum 41 and Blink 182. I gotta think Billie Joe Armstrong was trying to fashion a Buzzcocks thing when they started.

They're to blame for green day, sum 41 and blink 182? How evil can some people be?
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 21 Oct 2016, 00:57

Minnie, Boss of Appropriate Posting wrote:How are 999 Buzzcocks offspring?

The same way Offspring are like 999 Buzzcocks?
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 21 Oct 2016, 05:30

It may seem strange to call a band "brave" for writing songs about love and relationships... but it does seem like most if not all of the other British punk bands of that moment may have thought that that was a pretty boring or passe thing to do (the Slits and Raincoats are the only other bands I can think of that did this at all, and they didn't specialize in it to the extent that Buzzcocks did). And Shelley proved them wrong by writing a few dozen really fecking brilliant songs about love and relationships that were also fecking brilliant punk rock records.

I don't know if I could convince anyone that that makes them "important," but I kinda think maybe it does.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 21 Oct 2016, 06:21

Count Machuki wrote:
Jeemo wrote:Kitchen but Tension is brilliant as well

I'd reverse that, but there's not too much between them.

Really? I should spend a bit more time with Tension, then. I think Another Music In A DIfferent Kitchen is one of THE great debut albums (I was going to say the best punk debut but there's some stiff competition there!).

Love Bites is pretty great, too.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 21 Oct 2016, 06:50

Love Bites is my favorite.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 21 Oct 2016, 07:03

Good lad.

'Sixteen Again' might be my favourite Buzzcocks track.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Postby ... » 21 Oct 2016, 07:44

The only important thing that matters is that they made truly timeless music and continue to give great shows. If they're
round your way, DM, I deffo go and see them

Got to see the Undertones (sans Fergal) supporting Elvis C at Galway Fest three or four months back and was gob-smacked
by how good they were - way better than EC's rather lumpen greatest hits set, that's for sure.
Last edited by ... on 21 Oct 2016, 09:04, edited 2 times in total.

NMB

Postby NMB » 21 Oct 2016, 08:57

Charlie O. wrote:It may seem strange to call a band "brave" for writing songs about love and relationships... but it does seem like most if not all of the other British punk bands of that moment may have thought that that was a pretty boring or passe thing to do (the Slits and Raincoats are the only other bands I can think of that did this at all, and they didn't specialize in it to the extent that Buzzcocks did). And Shelley proved them wrong by writing a few dozen really fecking brilliant songs about love and relationships that were also fecking brilliant punk rock records.

I don't know if I could convince anyone that that makes them "important," but I kinda think maybe it does.

I'd go along with that, plus a few vaguely experimental b-sides and album tracks. I'd say they were an embodiment of the spirit of punk in that they did precisely what they wanted to do without worrying whether it fit ant given scene or preconceptions. So important-ish.

But I saw them live last night and walked out after half an hour. Pete Shelley seemed completely uninterested, Steve Diggle was acting the gurning guitar hero and the music was way too loud for the small venue so I couldn't hear it properly anyway. Get the records if you don't already have them but save your cash on the ticket.
turn on, tune in, nod off

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 21 Oct 2016, 09:01

The A & B Side's compilation is, quite simply, one of the greatest singles comps ever released.

Unlike some of the 'punk' scene, they actually wrote some of the greatest pop tunes of the time - which stand up today exactly as they did at the time.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 21 Oct 2016, 13:29

fueryIre wrote:The only important thing that matters is that they made truly timeless music and continue to give great shows. If they're
round your way, DM, I deffo go and see them.

I'm not really a gig person to be honest unless it's radiohead. Even then me and punk don't really get along.

Return to “Yakety Yak”