The Buzzcocks

Do talk back
mantochanga

Re: The Buzzcocks

Postby mantochanga » 21 Oct 2016, 13:55

They fully deserve their elevated reputation. The songs are great, the band is great (John Maher!), the production is really strong, their classic run of singles is unrivaled by any punk band, the three albums are all good (first one's the best).

You just can't argue with their punk rock bona fides, as they were there at the beginning and a huge influence. But with them this is almost an incidental detail, not the main point.

I've seen them twice this century and they were terrific.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 21 Oct 2016, 14:09

NMB wrote:
Charlie O. wrote:It may seem strange to call a band "brave" for writing songs about love and relationships... but it does seem like most if not all of the other British punk bands of that moment may have thought that that was a pretty boring or passe thing to do (the Slits and Raincoats are the only other bands I can think of that did this at all, and they didn't specialize in it to the extent that Buzzcocks did). And Shelley proved them wrong by writing a few dozen really fecking brilliant songs about love and relationships that were also fecking brilliant punk rock records.

I don't know if I could convince anyone that that makes them "important," but I kinda think maybe it does.

I'd go along with that, plus a few vaguely experimental b-sides and album tracks. I'd say they were an embodiment of the spirit of punk in that they did precisely what they wanted to do without worrying whether it fit ant given scene or preconceptions. So important-ish.

But I saw them live last night and walked out after half an hour. Pete Shelley seemed completely uninterested, Steve Diggle was acting the gurning guitar hero and the music was way too loud for the small venue so I couldn't hear it properly anyway. Get the records if you don't already have them but save your cash on the ticket.

I've never known them off their game. They are one of the best live bands I've ever seen.
If Steve Diggle doesn't act like a gurning guitar hero, that's when I would walk out.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 21 Oct 2016, 14:17

Dr Markus wrote:
fueryIre wrote:The only important thing that matters is that they made truly timeless music and continue to give great shows. If they're
round your way, DM, I deffo go and see them.

I'm not really a gig person to be honest unless it's radiohead. Even then me and punk don't really get along.

You think Radiohead are punk?
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 21 Oct 2016, 14:19

You don't ?
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 21 Oct 2016, 14:31

Valerie Bingleton wrote:
Count Machuki wrote:
Jeemo wrote:Kitchen but Tension is brilliant as well

I'd reverse that, but there's not too much between them.

Really? I should spend a bit more time with Tension, then. I think Another Music In A DIfferent Kitchen is one of THE great debut albums (I was going to say the best punk debut but there's some stiff competition there!).

Maybe I've just heard it more recently, but Tension has the songs and the...reaching? Ambition. There we go.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 21 Oct 2016, 14:34

Valerie Bingleton wrote:
Dr Markus wrote:
fueryIre wrote:The only important thing that matters is that they made truly timeless music and continue to give great shows. If they're
round your way, DM, I deffo go and see them.

I'm not really a gig person to be honest unless it's radiohead. Even then me and punk don't really get along.

Nope.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 21 Oct 2016, 14:48

Dr Markus wrote:"One of the most important punks bands ever"

This is the sales pitch on Irish radio right now for their up coming gigs. Well?, One of the most important punks bands ever?

No punk without them? did they push the boundaries? were/are they the living embodiment of punk?

I hate statement likes these

"One of the most important (insert genre) bands ever".

So I guess I'm putting the buzzcocks on trial here or at least this statement about them.

Go.

Whether you like them or not, i'd say that those statements are largely true - they were a hugely influencial punk band, and did their part to push the boundaries of the genre significantly.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 21 Oct 2016, 16:12

When I'm rocking out to the Buzzcocks, I'm never thinking to myself, "Wow, these guys are so important!"
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 21 Oct 2016, 16:54

You save that for Radiohead.

;)
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 21 Oct 2016, 16:58

Radiohead are hugely important, with important albums and important contributions to push musical boundaries and they are important to other stuff that has to do with music....................important.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 21 Oct 2016, 17:17

Dr Markus wrote:Radiohead are hugely important, with important albums and important contributions to push musical boundaries and they are important to other stuff that has to do with music....................important.

Pish.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 21 Oct 2016, 17:22

Minnie, Boss of Appropriate Posting wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:
Jeemo wrote:They were very important.

First diy punk single.

Third punk single ever.

In my opinion, they melded pop and punk as well as the Ramones. Their bastard offspring happen to be older bands like 999 and more current bands like Green Day, Sum 41 and Blink 182. I gotta think Billie Joe Armstrong was trying to fashion a Buzzcocks thing when they started.

I liked Pete Shelley's electronic phase too - Homosapien is a great, great record.

How are 999 Buzzcocks offspring?

Did I write Offspring? Let me answer that one for you. No, I didn't.

The reason I didn't is because the bands I mentioned were closer to the Buzzcocks in style melding pop and punk sensibilities. Of course, they had their own lyrical and musical takes to springboard from.
Last edited by sloopjohnc on 21 Oct 2016, 17:25, edited 1 time in total.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 21 Oct 2016, 17:23

I think Buzzcocks are important to people the way Big Star are important to people. punchy little songs with a certain kind of intention behind them. 75% of singles going steady seem to end up on my bottomless playlist quite a bit.
uggy poopy doody.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 21 Oct 2016, 17:30

sloopjohnc wrote:
Minnie, Boss of Appropriate Posting wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:
In my opinion, they melded pop and punk as well as the Ramones. Their bastard offspring happen to be older bands like 999 and more current bands like Green Day, Sum 41 and Blink 182. I gotta think Billie Joe Armstrong was trying to fashion a Buzzcocks thing when they started.

I liked Pete Shelley's electronic phase too - Homosapien is a great, great record.

How are 999 Buzzcocks offspring?

Did I write Offspring? Let me answer that one for you. No, I didn't.

The reason I didn't is because the bands I mentioned were closer to the Buzzcocks in style melding pop and punk sensibilities. Of course, they had their own lyrical and musical takes to springboard from.

'Their bastard offspring happen to be older bands like 999' ?

I was interested to know what made you think 999 were Buzzcocks offspring. My memory was that they emerged and grew simultaneously - more like siblings than offspring.

I'm not being sarky, believe it or not.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 21 Oct 2016, 17:44

Dr Markus wrote:
Valerie Bingleton wrote:
Dr Markus wrote:

Nope.

So what was that 'even then...' bit all about?

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 21 Oct 2016, 18:16

Valerie Bingleton wrote:
Dr Markus wrote:
Valerie Bingleton wrote:

Nope.

So what was that 'even then...' bit all about?

Even if I was a gig person, I still wouldn't go as I'm not really a punk fan.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 23 Mar 2018, 08:45

Give Buzzcocks a chance, Markus.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 23 Mar 2018, 11:37

Cach.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 23 Mar 2018, 11:40

Unward Brank wrote:Give Buzzcocks a chance, Markus.

Too late! They've been and gone and aren't scheduled to go back to Ireland for another nine years! :o

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 23 Mar 2018, 12:49

The Modernist wrote:
Unward Brank wrote:Give Buzzcocks a chance, Markus.

Too late! They've been and gone and aren't scheduled to go back to Ireland for another nine years! :o

They should forget about Ireland, we're lost to a tsunami of acoustic solo guitar singers, solo female singers that all sound like a cross of bat with lashes and ellie Goulding, and ridiculously bland snow patrol wannabes singing about things like their night being ruined because they had to manually enter their cashcard pin instead of it just scanning the card to pay for stuff. Shite.

Return to “Yakety Yak”