The Lemon Twigs

Do talk back
bhoywonder
The Magnificent

The Lemon Twigs

Postby bhoywonder » 14 Oct 2016, 14:35

Anyone else enjoying this new act from New York? Not for everyone, but I'm thoroughly enjoying their debut album...

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Re: The Lemon Twigs

Postby bhoywonder » 14 Oct 2016, 14:36

They're only the band that Wings could have been :D

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 14 Oct 2016, 21:44

I like them and I hadn't heard that song, its great! There's so much going on in those six minutes, most bands would struggle to fit that many ideas into a whole EP. They remind me a bit of Foxygen, the sound is very accomplished and ornate 60's pop, the image is a sort of foppish glam.

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 09 Nov 2016, 08:50

Interesting you mention Foxygen, as the two guys from Lemon Twigs are on the next Foxygen album, which ounds a lot like Do Hollywood. Feels like all the hip kids in teh US are listening to Todd Rundgren!

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 09 Nov 2016, 19:39

I've had a friend recommend them to me. I need to investigate.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 10 Nov 2016, 08:27

I wa listening to them on the headphones this morning as I walked to work. They're a really interesting band. Essentially, they're indie guitar songs, but with so many layers of harmonies, such huge instrumental arrangements, that they take quite a lot of listening before you even start to get to the heart of the song. They remind me in that way of All Things Must Pass. And although they do sound pretty derivative, at the same time, they sound like a breath of fresh air.

Same goes for Foxygen.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 10 Nov 2016, 18:15

'I wanna prove to you ' is sooooo good it hurts. Remarkable album. Quite a find. The Foxygen comparison is spot on , so much going on. Contender for the album of the year.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 11 Nov 2016, 09:04

jimboo ™ wrote:'I wanna prove to you ' is sooooo good it hurts. Remarkable album. Quite a find. The Foxygen comparison is spot on , so much going on. Contender for the album of the year.

Yeah, great song. He's some singer, that guy, isn't he? They don't look old enough to be that good. And the drummer is everything a drummer should be.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 11 Nov 2016, 12:27

bhoywonder wrote:And the drummer is everything a drummer should be.

Including looking exactly like a young Moon! :shock: Maybe these two kids are genetically modified Rock stars and this is the future of music nostalgia. Out with the tired old originators and in with their younger selves reborn

Anyway they sound good -- right now I'm into lo-fi jazzy prog rock so they're right up my street - don't care if everyone else is rolling their eyes at them and Foxygen.

You might also enjoy this:
https://soundcloud.com/company-record-l ... star-stuff

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 11 Nov 2016, 13:35

Fuckin dreadful. Chuck in everything in a failed desperate attempt at eclecticism. At heart they are next doors kids failed school indie band, not even popular with their friends. They deserve a good kicking and a healthy dose of the Circle Jerks. Wankers.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 11 Nov 2016, 14:04

Jumper K wrote:Fuckin dreadful. Chuck in everything in a failed desperate attempt at eclecticism. At heart they are next doors kids failed school indie band, not even popular with their friends. They deserve a good kicking and a healthy dose of the Circle Jerks. Wankers.

If a certain mr Johnny Coan showers his disapproval on this lot then the rest of us will be comfortably reassured we are listening to a truly great new act folks.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 11 Nov 2016, 15:50

Jumper K wrote:Fuckin dreadful. Chuck in everything in a failed desperate attempt at eclecticism. At heart they are next doors kids failed school indie band, not even popular with their friends. They deserve a good kicking and a healthy dose of the Circle Jerks. Wankers.

OK, I'm definitely checking it out now.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 11 Nov 2016, 17:33

Count Machuki wrote:

OK, I'm definitely checking it out now.

Why, I oughtta....

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 11 Nov 2016, 18:07

A fucking war should sort them out. Conscription now!
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 11 Nov 2016, 19:25

bhoywonder wrote:
jimboo ™ wrote:'I wanna prove to you ' is sooooo good it hurts. Remarkable album. Quite a find. The Foxygen comparison is spot on , so much going on. Contender for the album of the year.

Yeah, great song. He's some singer, that guy, isn't he? They don't look old enough to be that good. And the drummer is everything a drummer should be.

Note that the drummer and guitar player switch halfway through. Turns out the drummer is what a guitarist should be too!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 11 Nov 2016, 21:19

Playing UK in a months time

Twang

Postby Twang » 13 Nov 2016, 16:25

I saw these guys play last night...I think the album is uneven (with flashes of promise) and so went in with no extraordinary expectations, but man, they were fantastic! Just a whole lot of fun. One brother starts off on drums and harmony vocals while the other takes the lead on guitar and vocals and then they switch halfway through. I think the first half edges the second because the younger brother is the better drummer whereas the older brother writes the better songs and has the better voice, but it's no let down the other way around or anything. I think they released the wrong songs for the single.

The younger brother is a bit overzealous with the jumps, kicks, and windmills during his turn on guitar (and looks a bit like a young Townshend anyway), but it's nice to see bands these days have some flair for theater and look like they're having fun up there. They played some new songs (of similar quality to those on the LP) from an EP they said is upcoming in early next year.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 14 Nov 2016, 01:43

Listening now
It's fucking terrible
:|
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 14 Nov 2016, 08:46

Count Machuki wrote:Listening now
It's fucking terrible
:|

No it isn't, you just don't like it, grandad ;)

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 14 Nov 2016, 08:53

No - it's fucking terrible.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Return to “Yakety Yak”