Sharks Return! Chris Spedding, Snips, Sex Pistol!

Do talk back
LMG
Gentleman Thug

Sharks Return! Chris Spedding, Snips, Sex Pistol!

Postby LMG » 03 Oct 2016, 23:14

Sharks are back!

Loved by the cognoscenti, ignored by the great unwashed, Sharks were (are!) an early 70's supergroup formed by Andy Fraser of Free with Chris Spedding, featuring Snips (Steve Parsons) on vocals.

The Snips/Spedding partnership seems able to call into play musicians from the most influential and enjoyable bands in the world at the snap of their fingers, and seem to have connections to every band of the 70's, but at times this can be a distraction, so I will concentrate on the return of the band and the show I saw on Friday. True believers can read my posts later here for more details.

Sharks 2016 feature the pairing of Snips/Chris Spedding plus returning Sharks keyboard player Nick Judd, bass player Toshi Ogawa, and on drums: new boy Paul Cook of the Sex Pistols!

They have been touring to support their fourth and forthcoming album Killers of the Deep. Their set at the Borderline in London last Friday included selections from all four albums rather than concentrating on any one in particular.

The audience was mostly aged 50+ with a smattering of younger folks drawn by support band Deadcuts, a goth makeover of 90s band the Senseless Things, as well as a few offspring of those on stage.

The show starts with Snips and Spedding as a duet, both on guitar and playing a sparse version of 'Old Jelly Roll' from the debut First Water, which promises much and affirms that they will be revisiting past glories. The rest of the band arrives in time for the first Sharks tune from the first Sharks album, the mighty 'World Park Junkies', and everything falls into place - Cook's energetic/never flashy drumming, Spedding's sparse/never flashy guitar, Ogawa's tasteful bass, Judd's occasional keyboard interjections, and Snips up front giving it everything and proving what an utter waste that this band's lunkhead stepbrother Bad Company got all the acclaim and success.

Sharks live have a LOT of reserve power under the hood - most of the songs are presented as simmering blues-rock, but every few numbers they shift up a few gears for a few minutes and show the full impact a crew of seasoned musicians whose careers total thousands of hours in front of audiences can offer. The core of Spedding/Ogawa/Cook sounds stunning - Spedding is a virtuoso, Cook combines the powerful thud you remember from 'Pretty Vacant' with a punky toppy sound that doesn't spare the cymbals - he is a great choice for this revival of a much-loved band. Great to see him playing live again. Ogawa seems unfazed by the fate of the bass players that preceded him in the band, or else he has never seen Spinal Tap.

Snips is the convivial host, raising a few occasional barbs like suggesting that Mick Jones of the Clash had NO hand in writing 'Sophistication', the song from the second album Jab It In Yore Eye which rather closely resembles a later Clash hit. He maintais sharpfocus helming the stripped-back, no-frills set - all high points: 'Revolution of the Heart', 'Snakes and Swallowtails', two of the band's best songs, and a great and moving 'Perfect Days' from the neglected third album Like A Black Van Parked On A Dark Curve.

'Cocaine Blues' from the second album gives Nick Judd a chance to shine on keyboards and the sheer thrill of Spedding playing slide guitar. The new one 'Killer On The New Tube' bodes well for the first new Sharks material in decades, out now on vinyl and next year on CD/download apparently.

The 'latest single' (Snips announces that he never thought he would be on stage saying that ever again) closes the show- 'One Last Thrill', with an extended soul song (title) medley and the band are off. Back for a quick and intense encore of 'Jimmy Bell' from the third album.

Sharks have suffered the usual setbacks that accompany the band throughout their career - this time it is low ticket sales at other venues and vanishing promoters, leading to a curtailed tour. But they announce they are going to keep going as much as they can in 2017, so back next year with a fourth album, already out on vinyl, and a new single in the shops, or if not in the shops then streamable at your electronic teat of choice.

If any of the above tickles your fancy, make an effort to seek them out on-line, they really are one of the lesser known treasures of rock and deserve far more than the roller coaster ride of rock success has accorded them.
"They love hating the music they hate nearly as much as they love loving the music they love"

- Andrew Mueller It's Too Late To Die Young Now

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Re: Sharks Return! Chris Spedding, Snips, Sex Pistol!

Postby LMG » 03 Oct 2016, 23:27

"They love hating the music they hate nearly as much as they love loving the music they love"

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 03 Oct 2016, 23:30

Have you heard Songs Without Words? Billy just hipped me to it.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 03 Oct 2016, 23:47

clive gash wrote:Have you heard Songs Without Words? Billy just hipped me to it.

No, I shall look out for that. Spedding also plays jazzy guitar with sax player Charlotte Glasson on record and live.

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 03 Oct 2016, 23:54

I said Sharks have four albums, but there is one more. Sessions for the follow up to the second album Jab It In Yore Eye were produced by John Entwistle in the mid-70s, but broke down and the band split up. No trace of the material has been found... until now! As part of a crowd-funding project to support the album and tour, Sharks pressed up a selection of the tapes as 'The Car Crash Tapes', this CD was on sale at the shows on the recent tour:

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 04 Oct 2016, 23:00

I forgot to mention the tune 'Music Breakout' the band did before the single. I just learned this was the title of the unfinished third album, that there is a version on Spedding's Guitar Graffiti album from 1978, and that Snips and Spedding titled their 1981 tour The Music Breakout tour.

On bass was Jackie Badger, who played in an all-female 70's rock band called Mother Superior. Jackie was also the bass player on the third released Sharks album (see above) .
Last edited by LMG on 04 Oct 2016, 23:18, edited 1 time in total.

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 04 Oct 2016, 23:01

Another review from the tour:

http://www.uberrock.co.uk/gig-reviews/1 ... -2016.html

and an interesting video clip from the early 80's - 1982? 83? Snips and Spedding on an indy tour. David Van Tieghem on drums, apparently (Laurie Anderson/Talking Heads/Eno and David Byrne).

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 04 Oct 2016, 23:31

Should I attempt to locate and dust off Jab it In Yore Eye?

I played it once, but I don't remember anything about it.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 05 Oct 2016, 00:30

Also, in 2011, Chris Spedding and Snips teamed up under the name King Mob and released an album Force 9.
The rest of the band was Glenn Matlock (bass), Martin Chambers (drums) and introducing a guitar talent simply called Sixteen.

Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 05 Oct 2016, 18:29

I just got a facebook friend request from Chris Spedding! I'd go see this if I could. He's a good guitar player.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 07 Feb 2017, 22:18

Album being launched at present.

Show at the 100 Club tomorrow evening - tickets still available!

https://www.skiddle.com/whats-on/London ... /12892353/

Report to appear here in due course...

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 26 Feb 2017, 22:06

The setlist was:

The Shadow Knows
World Park Junkies
The Devil In Me
The Complete History of Soul Music
All Along The Watch Tower
Sophistication
Cocaine Blues
Perfect Days
Killer On The New Tube
Snakes And Swallowtails
One Last Thrill
YaYa Pop

Encore: Music Breakout

They were selling/signing a range of albums from Sharks, Spedding, and Snips, including the new album, just released on CD, Killers of the Deep:

http://sharks-band.com/killers-deep-album-now

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 26 Feb 2017, 23:46

Snarfyguy wrote:Should I attempt to locate and dust off Jab it In Yore Eye?

I played it once, but I don't remember anything about it.

Yes. It's a wonderful album. How did I miss this thread. I'd love to have seen the gig at the 100 club.
You don't like me...do you?

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 27 Feb 2017, 19:15

Thanks for this, Chris!
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 25 Sep 2017, 21:13

Went to see the band again last night at the Lexington.

The good news was it was a stonking performance, featuring songs from their new double album, currently in production, and that they are nearing the end of the Sharks documentary film which should see the light of day in due course.

The rather crushing bad news was that last night's performance was announced as the last Sharks show there will ever be. Simple reason: money. The shows just about break even, and have served their purpose of providing material for the ongoing documentary while bringing light into the lives of the long-term Sharks fans.

So a bit of a curate's egg, news-wise from the Sharks camp.

First up was a live discussion, again filmed for the documentary, with Snips and Chris Spedding, concerning their time together and their own careers separately. The interview was enthusiastically conducted by Chris Salewicz. It covered the history of the band, what they have been up to, why there will be no more live shows. Then moving on to Spedding's session career, comparisons to Led Zep, his time with John Cale, Bryan Ferry, etc. Snips/Steve Parsons gently steered the conversation to the upcoming album and film, while also reminiscing over producing Steve Marriott towards the end of his career, seeing the Rolling Stones in 1964 then 1965, and why he loves working with Spedding.

The advertised acoustic set is curtailed in favour of an early start to an extended band set, and the band joins in, first just Tosh Ogawa and Gene Clark (not that one) on bass and drums, then old hand Nick Judd on keyboards later in the set.

Some surprise offerings come from the new album Dark Beatles/White Temptations, including
a rewrite of 'Hey Joe' called 'Mr Slow'. In fact,they did songs from all six (!) Sharks albums and one from the King Mob album - 'Who's Chasing Who' which is being re-recorded for the new one.

They did Snakes and Swallowtails, Cocaine Blues, Music Breakout, Sophistication, Perfect Days, Killer On The New Tube, Perfects Days (killer version), and look at this:

Plus covers of The Last Time, All Along The Watchtower and Can't Get The Devil which was on the Killers Of The Deep album. I've raved about these guys enough times, I'm out of breath talking about how amazing they are live - words fail me. Except to say Spedding's guitar is literally breathtaking, and Snips is an entirely engaging front man, even at pensionable age.

I'd say go and see them but you can't, dammit. You can still give them money, tho':

C
Robust

Postby C » 26 Sep 2017, 16:27

LMG wrote:Went to see the band again last night at the Lexington.

The good news was it was a stonking performance, featuring songs from their new double album, currently in production, and that they are nearing the end of the Sharks documentary film which should see the light of day in due course.

The rather crushing bad news was that last night's performance was announced as the last Sharks show there will ever be. Simple reason: money. The shows just about break even, and have served their purpose of providing material for the ongoing documentary while bringing light into the lives of the long-term Sharks fans.

So a bit of a curate's egg, news-wise from the Sharks camp.

First up was a live discussion, again filmed for the documentary, with Snips and Chris Spedding, concerning their time together and their own careers separately. The interview was enthusiastically conducted by Chris Salewicz. It covered the history of the band, what they have been up to, why there will be no more live shows. Then moving on to Spedding's session career, comparisons to Led Zep, his time with John Cale, Bryan Ferry, etc. Snips/Steve Parsons gently steered the conversation to the upcoming album and film, while also reminiscing over producing Steve Marriott towards the end of his career, seeing the Rolling Stones in 1964 then 1965, and why he loves working with Spedding.

The advertised acoustic set is curtailed in favour of an early start to an extended band set, and the band joins in, first just Tosh Ogawa and Gene Clark (not that one) on bass and drums, then old hand Nick Judd on keyboards later in the set.

Some surprise offerings come from the new album Dark Beatles/White Temptations, including
a rewrite of 'Hey Joe' called 'Mr Slow'. In fact,they did songs from all six (!) Sharks albums and one from the King Mob album - 'Who's Chasing Who' which is being re-recorded for the new one.

They did Snakes and Swallowtails, Cocaine Blues, Music Breakout, Sophistication, Perfect Days, Killer On The New Tube, Perfects Days (killer version), and look at this:

Plus covers of The Last Time, All Along The Watchtower and Can't Get The Devil which was on the Killers Of The Deep album. I've raved about these guys enough times, I'm out of breath talking about how amazing they are live - words fail me. Except to say Spedding's guitar is literally breathtaking, and Snips is an entirely engaging front man, even at pensionable age.

I'd say go and see them but you can't, dammit. You can still give them money, tho':

Robust stuff Chris - good lad

Yes, good lad

Good to hear the old boys are still at the top of their game

mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 30 Sep 2017, 12:18

Full Setlist from the Sharks Facebook page:

Ole Jelly Roll (Snips/Spedding only)
Crash Party
Ride On Time/All Along The Watchtower
The Last Time
Who Chasing Who
Mr Sloane
World Park Junkies
Ya Ya Pop
Sophistication
Perfect Days
Killer On Then New Tube
Can't Get The Devil
Snakes and Swallowtails
Cocaine Blues

Encore: Music Breakout

And another video excerpt:

Return to “Yakety Yak”