Bands that you've never heard but you're pretty sure they're terrible

Do talk back
User avatar
Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013
Posts: 38769
Joined: 11 Jun 2005, 15:28
Location: in a hurry and needs his Chicken in a scone pretty fucking sharpish

Re: Bands that you've never heard but you're pretty sure they're terrible

Postby Count Machuki » 07 Sep 2016, 21:34

clive gash wrote:Blues Traveller


Awful stuff. Good luck continuing to avoid them.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Hugh
Posts: 15748
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:43

Re: Bands that you've never heard but you're pretty sure they're terrible

Postby Hugh » 07 Sep 2016, 21:41

Count Machuki wrote:
clive gash wrote:
Count Machuki wrote:
Me neither. Let's pledge to each other to keep it that way.


Go straight to Goblin.


now THEM I like.


I saw Starcastle supporting Jethro Tull in Canada in 1976. Yes-lite, reasonably good tunes.

User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 53164
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Re: Bands that you've never heard but you're pretty sure they're terrible

Postby Snarfyguy » 07 Sep 2016, 21:51

PENK wrote:
Moleskin wrote:Dave Matthews is/are terrible.


I wouldn't say terrible so much as unremittingly average.

But average is worse than terrible. At least if they were completely inept musicians it might be a little interesting, but as it is the music's overwhelmingly capable and earnest.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

User avatar
fange
100% fangetastic
Posts: 13146
Joined: 20 Jan 2010, 11:30
Location: 香港

Re: Bands that you've never heard but you're pretty sure they're terrible

Postby fange » 08 Sep 2016, 01:13

K wrote:Hootie and the Blowfish


I find this hard to believe. There was a time when that Hootie record came out that, no matter what kind of public space you were in, you would have been subjected to their music whether you liked it or not. A bar, club, shopping centre, waiting room, TV shows, you name it. It was everywhere.
You've probably just blanked the memory out. I know i've tried.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.


By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

User avatar
king feeb
He's the consultant of swing
Posts: 26243
Joined: 19 Jul 2003, 00:42
Location: Soon Over Babaluma
Contact:

Re: Bands that you've never heard but you're pretty sure they're terrible

Postby king feeb » 08 Sep 2016, 02:07

I don't believe I've ever actually heard Hoobastank. That horrible name scared me away. I figure they generally sound like Nickleback or Korn or something, maybe with a little occasional fifth-wave Ska influence (ie- the guitarist plays on the one and three beats sometimes). Am I wrong?
You'd pay big bucks to know what you really think.

User avatar
zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over
Posts: 5279
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 07:42
Location: Screwball Cultural Center

Re: Bands that you've never heard but you're pretty sure they're terrible

Postby zoomboogity » 08 Sep 2016, 02:16

king feeb wrote:I don't believe I've ever actually heard Hoobastank. That horrible name scared me away. I figure they generally sound like Nickleback or Korn or something, maybe with a little occasional fifth-wave Ska influence (ie- the guitarist plays on the one and three beats sometimes). Am I wrong?


You're 100% correct. Take it from me - I've never heard them either!
Image

"Quite."

User avatar
pcqgod
Posts: 17443
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 07:23
Location: Texas

Re: Bands that you've never heard but you're pretty sure they're terrible

Postby pcqgod » 08 Sep 2016, 03:31

king feeb wrote:I don't believe I've ever actually heard Hoobastank. That horrible name scared me away. I figure they generally sound like Nickleback or Korn or something, maybe with a little occasional fifth-wave Ska influence (ie- the guitarist plays on the one and three beats sometimes). Am I wrong?


Probably more like a wimpy Nickleback than ska, based on their sappy "The Reason" hit single from ten-ish years ago.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 13823
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: deepest Devon
Contact:

Re: Bands that you've never heard but you're pretty sure they're terrible

Postby Rayge » 08 Sep 2016, 08:45

fange wrote:
K wrote:Hootie and the Blowfish


I find this hard to believe. There was a time when that Hootie record came out that, no matter what kind of public space you were in, you would have been subjected to their music whether you liked it or not. A bar, club, shopping centre, waiting room, TV shows, you name it. It was everywhere.

I know you will be shocked to hear it fange, but I have no idea what H&tB are, let alone what this inescapable record was :D
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

User avatar
fange
100% fangetastic
Posts: 13146
Joined: 20 Jan 2010, 11:30
Location: 香港

Re: Bands that you've never heard but you're pretty sure they're terrible

Postby fange » 08 Sep 2016, 09:05

Rayge wrote:I know you will be shocked to hear it fange, but I have no idea what H&tB are, let alone what this inescapable record was :D


Even in the deepest, darkest depths of Devon, i bet there was a moment when you were walking past a TV or a shop, Ray, and the words "Just let her cry..." or "I only want to be with you..." came creeping past your earholes, sung in a vomit-inducing gentle baritone, and there you were - you'd been Hootied, whether you realised it or not.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.


By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

User avatar
NMB
Posts: 4725
Joined: 22 Jun 2005, 20:46
Location: Darkest Surrey

Re: Bands that you've never heard but you're pretty sure they're terrible

Postby NMB » 08 Sep 2016, 09:07

Rayge wrote:
fange wrote:
K wrote:Hootie and the Blowfish


I find this hard to believe. There was a time when that Hootie record came out that, no matter what kind of public space you were in, you would have been subjected to their music whether you liked it or not. A bar, club, shopping centre, waiting room, TV shows, you name it. It was everywhere.

I know you will be shocked to hear it fange, but I have no idea what H&tB are, let alone what this inescapable record was :D


I've never heard Hootie and the Blowfish either, although if they're lumped in with the jam bands I suspect I'd quite like them. I have heard The Dave Matthews Band, seen them live in fact and they were very good.
turn on, tune in, nod off

User avatar
fange
100% fangetastic
Posts: 13146
Joined: 20 Jan 2010, 11:30
Location: 香港

Re: Bands that you've never heard but you're pretty sure they're terrible

Postby fange » 08 Sep 2016, 09:14

Don't make me post a video, people! I don't see why i should carry so much pain, when people like you lot dance your way through a carefree, Hootie and the Blowfish-less existance! :x :x :cry:
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.


By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 13823
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: deepest Devon
Contact:

Re: Bands that you've never heard but you're pretty sure they're terrible

Postby Rayge » 08 Sep 2016, 09:29

Darkness_Fish wrote:Phish is a good shout. In a similar vein, I expect, The Dave Matthews band, or Sphongle.

That's Shpongle.
And they're pretty weird and nifty. Someone on the Forum introduced me to them – Guttersnipe, maybe.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

User avatar
Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman
Posts: 17783
Joined: 17 Oct 2010, 14:10
Location: Unrecognized Genius, Me.

Re: Bands that you've never heard but you're pretty sure they're terrible

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 08 Sep 2016, 09:36

K wrote:Hootie and the Blowfish
Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds
Phish (good call Count)
The Carnabys (I mean, fuck me, what a name)
The Magic Gang - see this review:
Describing themselves as ‘melody makers’ and ‘vibe crafters,’ The Magic Gang are a Brighton-based four-piece whose catchy lyrics and compelling melodies delivered with their signature laidback approach on songs like She Won’t Ghost have seen the band compared to the likes of Weezer.


:D :D :D

That 'review' is hilarious... though 'Vibe Crafter' is a fine band name, IMHO.
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

User avatar
Dennis Testicle
Fucking Crackers
Posts: 14940
Joined: 31 Aug 2003, 01:28
Location: South Penriff
Contact:

Re: Bands that you've never heard but you're pretty sure they're terrible

Postby Dennis Testicle » 08 Sep 2016, 10:29

fange wrote:
Rayge wrote:I know you will be shocked to hear it fange, but I have no idea what H&tB are, let alone what this inescapable record was :D


Even in the deepest, darkest depths of Devon, i bet there was a moment when you were walking past a TV or a shop, Ray, and the words "Just let her cry..." or "I only want to be with you..." came creeping past your earholes, sung in a vomit-inducing gentle baritone, and there you were - you'd been Hootied, whether you realised it or not.


"Hold My Hand" is good though *ducks*
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 32852
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Bands that you've never heard but you're pretty sure they're terrible

Postby Goat Boy » 08 Sep 2016, 10:53

fange wrote:
Rayge wrote:I know you will be shocked to hear it fange, but I have no idea what H&tB are, let alone what this inescapable record was :D


Even in the deepest, darkest depths of Devon, i bet there was a moment when you were walking past a TV or a shop, Ray, and the words "Just let her cry..." or "I only want to be with you..." came creeping past your earholes, sung in a vomit-inducing gentle baritone, and there you were - you'd been Hootied, whether you realised it or not.



Possible I guess but I certainly haven’t knowingly heard any of their music and I listened briefly to a couple of the big hits on youtube (oh the things you do for BCB) and I don’t recognise anything. They were briefly huge in America but I don’t recall them having any impact in the UK at all.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.


Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

User avatar
fange
100% fangetastic
Posts: 13146
Joined: 20 Jan 2010, 11:30
Location: 香港

Re: Bands that you've never heard but you're pretty sure they're terrible

Postby fange » 08 Sep 2016, 11:11

You lucky bugger. :cry:
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.


By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 32852
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Bands that you've never heard but you're pretty sure they're terrible

Postby Goat Boy » 08 Sep 2016, 11:25

Say what you want about Britpop but if it saved us from this kind of shit then thank God.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.


Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

User avatar
Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013
Posts: 38769
Joined: 11 Jun 2005, 15:28
Location: in a hurry and needs his Chicken in a scone pretty fucking sharpish

Re: Bands that you've never heard but you're pretty sure they're terrible

Postby Count Machuki » 08 Sep 2016, 15:28

fange wrote:Don't make me post a video, people! I don't see why i should carry so much pain, when people like you lot dance your way through a carefree, Hootie and the Blowfish-less existance! :x :x :cry:


Be careful, guys! He's just crazy enough to do it! :o
Last edited by Count Machuki on 08 Sep 2016, 16:27, edited 1 time in total.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 32852
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Bands that you've never heard but you're pretty sure they're terrible

Postby Goat Boy » 08 Sep 2016, 15:45

Garth Brooks
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.


Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 29789
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: Bands that you've never heard but you're pretty sure they're terrible

Postby Minnie the Minx » 08 Sep 2016, 15:50

Cody Canada and the Departed
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?