8%
Unknown Pleasures - Joy Division
15%

Total votes: 65

German Dave
Utter Cad

Re: NME Top 10 Albums 1985

Postby German Dave » 05 Dec 2017, 21:03

toomanyhatz wrote:I like Swordfishtrombones, but what the holy fuck is it doing in the top ten? Doesn't even belong in the 100. Maybe 'cause it was new, and it seemed so revolutionary before he became a self-parody?

Yeah, I remember it being our entry-album into Tom over here. All the hipsters were name-checking it.
kewl klive wrote:A deluxe Sandinista! was pulled when only one outtake could be found.

Ghost of Harry Smith

Postby Ghost of Harry Smith » 05 Dec 2017, 22:19

I was 14 years old in an isolated town in the middle of nowhere when I got a three-month old "land mail" copy of the NME with that Top 100 list in it and I fucking loved it. It had lots of canonical stuff I'd never heard, as well as some noisy more left-field stuff and (particularly) lots of records by black musicians that I would never have come across in my day-to-day.

Having my taste guided into hearing John Coltrane, James Brown, Al Green, Parliament, The Isley Brothers etc. was much appreciated. So yeah the NME staff might have been all wearing slip-on loafers and listening to Sade and The Blow Monkeys at the time but at least they knew the history of black music.

So fuck the automatic disrespect for any list that doesn't include fucking Gentle Giant or Caravan or whatever. The only album on this list that even then looked dodgy as hell as a selection was Mad Not Mad. I'd also happily choose the second Suicide album over Armed Forces, The Scream, or Rattlesnakes.

!!VAPRANT!!
hounds people off the board

Postby !!VAPRANT!! » 05 Dec 2017, 22:51

Oh, me too.

Nice post!
Deewank wrote:By the way I gave you some Jelly Tots for your birthday and you didn’t give me ANYTHING