Lou Reed Rock 'n' Roll Animal
3%
Jethro Tull Bursting Out
2%

Total votes: 447

Osgood

Re: Greatest Live Albums from the '60s & '70s

Postby Osgood » 19 May 2016, 09:53

frimley_greener wrote:I t should be borne in mind that many of the cited albums are compilations from various performances:Whilst in no way detracting from the enjoyment afforded,it is a different kettle of fish from a true "live" album,which are few and far between.Not many of those cited are recordings from a single event,fewer are as recorded,minus overdubs.

Hendrix in the West is an extreme example of that, it is really a live comp from performances expanding one and a half year at both sides of the pond.

But it was so much part of my teenage soundtrack that I had to vote for it, though I certainly know that it was using a space where much better records would fit more properly.
Nobody's ferpect.

frimley_greener

Postby frimley_greener » 19 May 2016, 10:02

Now if they ever release the real" Hendrix Live At The Royal Albert Hall" the genre may take on new gravitas.Sadly,I doubt they ever will.
You wanna be a big cop in a small town? Fuck off up the model village.

fire and fueryIre

Postby fire and fueryIre » 19 May 2016, 13:27

Osgood wrote:
fueryhk(redux) wrote: Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but was always my understanding that the live songs from RNS on LR are the same recordings. Anyone know for sure?

If I recall correctly both My. My, Hey, Hey, and Hey, Hey My, My are different recordings between RNS and LR. That said, I agree with you that the inclusion of Rust Never Sleeps is a bit odd, considering that there are two tracks recorded in the studio. And yes, Time Fades Away would have been a more appropriate choice.

But then, RNS is the only place where you can find Thrasher, a fact that can justify almost anything.

I thought it was more a case of two tracks live and the rest in the studio. Will have to go check my copy of Shakey....

NMB

Postby NMB » 19 May 2016, 13:36

fueryhk(redux) wrote:
Osgood wrote:
fueryhk(redux) wrote: Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but was always my understanding that the live songs from RNS on LR are the same recordings. Anyone know for sure?

If I recall correctly both My. My, Hey, Hey, and Hey, Hey My, My are different recordings between RNS and LR. That said, I agree with you that the inclusion of Rust Never Sleeps is a bit odd, considering that there are two tracks recorded in the studio. And yes, Time Fades Away would have been a more appropriate choice.

But then, RNS is the only place where you can find Thrasher, a fact that can justify almost anything.

I thought it was more a case of two tracks live and the rest in the studio. Will have to go check my copy of Shakey....

According to Wikipedia:
"My My, Hey Hey (Out of the Blue)", "Thrasher" and "Ride My Llama" were recorded live at the Boarding House in early 1978 and all of side two was recorded during the late 1978 tour. Two songs from the album were not recorded live: "Sail Away" was recorded without Crazy Horse during or after the Comes a Time recording sessions, and "Pocahontas" had been recorded solo around 1975.

I still don't think of it as a live album though.
turn on, tune in, nod off

C
Robust

Postby C » 19 May 2016, 13:49

I really rate this:

Deebank wrote:
Johnny Fartpants wrote:Bring back the tits!

They've got their own forum now.

Nuts

Postby Nuts » 19 May 2016, 15:50

I think top place has to go to the Allmans for me - but where was Zappa's Does Humour Belong In Music?
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best…

Geoff
Abba Fan

Postby Geoff » 19 May 2016, 16:04

fueryhk(redux) wrote:
Loki wrote:
Geoff wrote:I've always wanted to be on a live album, part of the roar. Silly, but there you go.

I'm on the Seger one.

I've been "on" about five (well at the gigs where some or all of them were recorded, but sadly none on the list)

For me, has to be Too Late To Stop Now.

Why is Rust-era Neil Young on the list twice for both Live Rust (LR) and Rust Never Sleeps (RNS). Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but was always my understanding that the live songs from RNS on LR are the same recordings. Anyone know for sure? Either way, seems a bit odd in that RNS could easily have given way to Time Fades Away

It's Too Late is being reissued; believe it will include 3 shows from that tour & an unseen BBC(?) special.
megeoff.blogspot.ca

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 19 May 2016, 16:13

fueryhk(redux) wrote:
Loki wrote:
Geoff wrote:I've always wanted to be on a live album, part of the roar. Silly, but there you go.

I'm on the Seger one.

I've been "on" about five (well at the gigs where some or all of them were recorded, but sadly none on the list)

I'm on a bunch of classical records. Applauding politely.
I even won a Grammy once.
ROCK AND ROLL!
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 19 May 2016, 16:16

No, the recordings on Live Rust and Rust Never Sleeps are different as far as I know.

Geoff
Abba Fan

Postby Geoff » 19 May 2016, 16:23

Matt Wilson wrote:No, the recordings on Live Rust and Rust Never Sleeps are different as far as I know.

I thought so too.
megeoff.blogspot.ca

fire and fueryIre

Postby fire and fueryIre » 19 May 2016, 17:08

Geoff wrote:
fueryhk(redux) wrote:
Loki wrote:I'm on the Seger one.

Why is Rust-era Neil Young on the list twice for both Live Rust (LR) and Rust Never Sleeps (RNS). Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but was always my understanding that the live songs from RNS on LR are the same recordings. Anyone know for sure? Either way, seems a bit odd in that RNS could easily have given way to Time Fades Away

It's Too Late is being reissued; believe it will include 3 shows from that tour & an unseen BBC(?) special.

Too Late is coming out on its own, while there'll be a 3 CD and DVD box set of other shows from that tour plus - I would imagine - the BBC special shown on Whistle Test at the time (there is more footage of the show on bootleg)

fire and fueryIre

Postby fire and fueryIre » 19 May 2016, 17:09

NMB wrote:
fueryhk(redux) wrote:
Osgood wrote:If I recall correctly both My. My, Hey, Hey, and Hey, Hey My, My are different recordings between RNS and LR. That said, I agree with you that the inclusion of Rust Never Sleeps is a bit odd, considering that there are two tracks recorded in the studio. And yes, Time Fades Away would have been a more appropriate choice.

According to Wikipedia:
"My My, Hey Hey (Out of the Blue)", "Thrasher" and "Ride My Llama" were recorded live at the Boarding House in early 1978 and all of side two was recorded during the late 1978 tour. Two songs from the album were not recorded live: "Sail Away" was recorded without Crazy Horse during or after the Comes a Time recording sessions, and "Pocahontas" had been recorded solo around 1975.

I still don't think of it as a live album though.

Thanks for the clarification

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 19 May 2016, 17:22

fueryhk(redux) wrote:Too Late is coming out on its own, while there'll be a 3 CD and DVD box set of other shows from that tour plus - I would imagine - the BBC special shown on Whistle Test at the time (there is more footage of the show on bootleg)

Essentially true

It's Too Late to Stop Now, of course, is Morrison’s 1974 double album with his Caledonia Soul Orchestra, capturing concert recordings from his May to July 1973 tour at Los Angeles’ famed Troubadour, the Santa Monica Civic Center, and London’s Rainbow Theatre. The remastered original album will be available on both CD and vinyl, while the CDs of Volumes II-IV collect previously unreleased concert recordings from those three venues. The DVD included in the 3-CD set contains professionally-shot footage from the Rainbow Theatre stand which originally aired on the BBC in the U.K. but has never before been commercially available.

Full line-ups are on Amazon as we speak.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Mike Boom wrote:It is brilliant of course, probably the best of the complete Thick as a Brick boots.

C
Robust

Postby C » 19 May 2016, 17:29

Talking of Neil Young, hopefully we'll see some of you at the Prog Synch Listen on 27/5

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=131302&p=3754869#p3754869

Deebank wrote:
Johnny Fartpants wrote:Bring back the tits!

They've got their own forum now.

fire and fueryIre

Postby fire and fueryIre » 19 May 2016, 17:34

Carlsson wrote:Talking of Neil Young, hopefully we'll see some of you at the Prog Synch Listen on 27/5

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=131302&p=3754869#p3754869

Can't make the prog synch listen as I'll be seeing Bruce S in Dublin. 11 days later I'll be seeing Mr Y himself though

fire and fueryIre

Postby fire and fueryIre » 19 May 2016, 17:41

Geoff wrote:
fueryhk(redux) wrote:
Loki wrote:I'm on the Seger one.

Setlist for the box is here (price has dropped too, was originally UK£55

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Its-Too-Late-S ... n+morrison

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 19 May 2016, 18:06

Geoff wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:No, the recordings on Live Rust and Rust Never Sleeps are different as far as I know.

I thought so too.

Yeah, without checking I seem to remember them both being released around the same time - I saw the Rust Never Sleeps film in 1979 at a midnight showing in Texas, and shortly thereafter I had Live Rust, on 8-track. HAHA

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 19 May 2016, 18:35

Carlsson wrote:I really rate this:

Yes! (Although similarly to Rust Never Sleeps, it's mostly new songs, so it almost doesn't feel quite like a live album in spirit.)
Jimbo wrote:My point is to save the world from WWIII.

Jimbo wrote:Trump is right. The collusion conspiracy theory has been debunked and you seem to refuse to look at the evidence.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017 2018 2019?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 19 May 2016, 19:36

NMB wrote:According to Wikipedia:
"My My, Hey Hey (Out of the Blue)", "Thrasher" and "Ride My Llama" were recorded live at the Boarding House in early 1978 and all of side two was recorded during the late 1978 tour.

I did not know that.

The Boarding House was a great San Francisco nightclub. . .

The Boarding House was a nightclub located at 960 Bush Street in San Francisco, California. Steve Martin's first three albums, Let's Get Small, A Wild and Crazy Guy, and Comedy Is Not Pretty were recorded there, in whole or in part. Robin Williams was also a stand up mainstay at the venue. The club was also host to a multitude of musical acts, such as Dolly Parton, Patti Smith, Neil Young, Bette Midler, Billy Joel, Bob Marley, Mason Williams, The Tubes, Talking Heads, Old and in the Way, Randy Newman, Dan Hicks & His Hot Licks, Jim Croce, Harry Chapin and Tom Waits. British progressive rock group Camel played there on 6/26/76 in a performance that was broadcast on KSAN-FM, and cult favorites The Residents also first played there. Ellen DeGeneres and Jay Leno have said they first met at The Boarding House
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

The Bishop

Postby The Bishop » 19 May 2016, 19:52

No Space Ritual? Disgraceful!