Nightingales
10%
Fuck off Jim
10%

Total votes: 31

jimboo

Post punk pocalypse

Postby jimboo » 02 May 2016, 09:55

Indie chart gods , kinda. Anyone a superfan of musics lost wannabees ?
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Re: Post punk pocalypse

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 02 May 2016, 10:06

Pocalypse is a wonderful band name.

That said: I can honestly state that I do not know a single song from any of the 10 bands mentioned.
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 02 May 2016, 10:13

Sea Of Tunes v2.0 wrote:Pocalypse is a wonderful band name.

That said: I can honestly state that I do not know a single song from any of the 10 bands mentioned.

:shock: is he alone ?
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 02 May 2016, 10:14

The Monochrome Set and the Nightingales - but even those two in small doses.

This is a cracker:

Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 02 May 2016, 15:31

Eyeless in Gaza, The Danse Society and Theatre of Hate for me, though I would've voted for The Monochrome Set as well, if I had more currency to spend in this poll. Eyeless's first two albums are all-time top 10 contenders for me, that raw, unbridled John Lydon-meets-Bjork of a vocal with a great synthpop backing is untouchable.

Other great post-punk not mentioned here:
The Dancing Did
Siglo XX
Palais Schaumburg
Clock DVA
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 02 May 2016, 16:05

ToH, and subsequent SoD, were great in their time.

'...Westworld?' still sounds good to these ears.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 02 May 2016, 17:45

The Monochrome Set for me, please.

They played over here only a few years ago, but it wasn't a particularly memorable show. Tiny venue, band not appearing to be exactly delighted.

Still, the records are fabulous.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 02 May 2016, 17:52

What a dreadful selection from a fine era. Monochrome Set stand out, while Nightingales were all right (although I prefer Robert Lloyd solo). Theatre of Hate had their moments, too, but the rest can fuck right off (actually a little unfair as I never actually heard Eyeless in Gaza, and in my experience Darkness Fish is worth listening to in these matters.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 13 Mar 2018, 01:30

bump
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Dayodead

Postby Dayodead » 13 Mar 2018, 01:56

Danse-Eyeless-Monochrome

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 13 Mar 2018, 03:01

Eyeless in Gaza and The Monochrome Set by a long way for me.

Classix Nouveaux?? :lol: Come on jim, you're better than that.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 13 Mar 2018, 03:03

'Others' came up on a shuffle a few days ago and i had to replay it 4-5 times, been too long since i heard it. Wonderful.

Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Nervous Ned

Postby Nervous Ned » 13 Mar 2018, 05:02

Eyeless in Gaza for me largely because they are the only ones I’m familiar with. In fact I bought the recent Cherry Red box of the first 4 albums plus comp. I had 2+3 back in the day but they are remarkebly robust. Much less abrasive than I remembered. Then I discovered they reformed ages ago and made loads more records. Listened to one on Spotify and it was so bland and 80’s sounding ... what happened?

Kinkhurt

Postby Kinkhurt » 13 Mar 2018, 09:55

How can you not have the Virgin Prunes ? A New Form Of Beauty or If I Die. Those albums were ploughing new furrows, I saw them play an early gig at Futurama festival where they got kicked off the stage, and then some of the weirdest gigs ever when they did Leeds and Wakefield. They had balls to to bring performance art to the audiences they went in front of around that time, Pig Children was quite a thing to see.

A new form of beauty is still a disturbing piece of work, I used to be totally obsessed with it - go to bed, wake up with flat batteries in the Walkman type of obsessed. Something you can only spend that kind of time on if you're a kid. The songs are like all your worst fears, vocalised and committed to tape. I had all the parts which I'd collected up on vinyl and put them together on a cassette (I never had the live tape - which I only heard properly when the remasters came out and it wasn't much better than the un-listenable version I'd got in a tape trade). Sandpaper Lullabye was the nearest we got to a pop song, Sleep Fantasy is a Cure ripoff which Bob wishes he could have written, Come to Daddy, Abbagal and Sweet home should be on on the recommended list of any serial killers you may happen to know. Play it in the dark, its great.

If I die is a more conventional album and is probably the album to get if you are a right-thinking adult. Compare the versions of Sweet home that's on this album to the first version, my mum liked this version better - the upstairs power didn't get cut off as often. This album revealed that they did have conventional influences - you can hear Bowie, Roxy and Public Image on this one but its still a bit twisted. Walls of Jerico and Baby turns Blue were goth dance floor hits back in the day and Decline and Fall is a masterful piece of work. Bau, Fado, caucasion sound like the old stuff and Theme for Thought follows on from Sweet home.
angering the feeble

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 13 Mar 2018, 10:32

Wasted Youth - I thought they were great at the time. Still OK on recent listens
Danse Society - Barnsley's finest. I've only heard Wake Up and a version of the Stones' 2,000 Light Years. Bit unremarkable
Eyeless in Gaza - Thought they were filler on Pillows & Prayers but possibly worth revisiting.
classix nouveaux - Formed by members of XRay Spex with a God-botherer on vocals. No thanks.
The Monochrome Set - Seen them twice recently. Musically they were totally out of sync with punk and still sound fresh now.
Theatre of Hate - They were OK.Big following amongst rockabilly types. The girls seemed to fancy the bass player, Stan Stammers
Jazz Butcher - Pat Fish had a short career as a TV presenter. Bit of a bighead but they've made some great stuff.
Mega city 4 - Excellent live. Paved the way for a lot of grungy type bands without realising it.
Nightingales - Always good. As were Robert Lloyd and the New Four Seasons. Championed Ted Chippington which is either a good of bad thing or both.
Fuck off Jim - Not familiar, are they good?!

UK Decay - Like Wasted Youth, better at the time, though WY have aged better.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 13 Mar 2018, 10:40

I was very into Theatre of Hate in my youth. The others didn't interest me much and I doubt I'd ever revisit.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 13 Mar 2018, 11:05

Kinkhurt wrote:How can you not have the Virgin Prunes ? A New Form Of Beauty or If I Die. Those albums were ploughing new furrows, I saw them play an early gig at Futurama festival where they got kicked off the stage, and then some of the weirdest gigs ever when they did Leeds and Wakefield. They had balls to to bring performance art to the audiences they went in front of around that time, Pig Children was quite a thing to see.

A new form of beauty is still a disturbing piece of work, I used to be totally obsessed with it - go to bed, wake up with flat batteries in the Walkman type of obsessed. Something you can only spend that kind of time on if you're a kid. The songs are like all your worst fears, vocalised and committed to tape. I had all the parts which I'd collected up on vinyl and put them together on a cassette (I never had the live tape - which I only heard properly when the remasters came out and it wasn't much better than the un-listenable version I'd got in a tape trade). Sandpaper Lullabye was the nearest we got to a pop song, Sleep Fantasy is a Cure ripoff which Bob wishes he could have written, Come to Daddy, Abbagal and Sweet home should be on on the recommended list of any serial killers you may happen to know. Play it in the dark, its great.

If I die is a more conventional album and is probably the album to get if you are a right-thinking adult. Compare the versions of Sweet home that's on this album to the first version, my mum liked this version better - the upstairs power didn't get cut off as often. This album revealed that they did have conventional influences - you can hear Bowie, Roxy and Public Image on this one but its still a bit twisted. Walls of Jerico and Baby turns Blue were goth dance floor hits back in the day and Decline and Fall is a masterful piece of work. Bau, Fado, caucasion sound like the old stuff and Theme for Thought follows on from Sweet home.

I approve of this post more than anything that I've seen on this site in the last year. I reckon there's a good chance that If I Die, I Die... is the single most played slab of vinyl in my collection, been on regular rotation since I was 17 or 18.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 13 Mar 2018, 11:16

The Prof wrote:Danse Society - Barnsley's finest. I've only heard Wake Up and a version of the Stones' 2,000 Light Years. Bit unremarkable

A bit harsh, there's a case to be made that they pioneered what later became the typical goth sound associated with The Sisters. I'm not saying that they were the best at what they did, but they shouldn't be ignored.

Stuff like this:

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 13 Mar 2018, 11:26

Darkness_Fish wrote: they pioneered what later became the typical goth sound associated with The Sisters

You say that like it's a good thing!
They just didn't make much of an impression on me - that's all.

If you'd have included The March Violets then that would have been different!

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 13 Mar 2018, 11:33

Now you're getting deep into 2nd division territory, I'll start a poll, March Violets vs Belfegore vs Red Lorry Yellow Lorry :-)

Return to “Yakety Yak”