Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector

Re: David Bowie RIP

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 01 Aug 2017, 14:17

Geezee wrote:
The Modernist wrote:
TL;DR wrote:
No? Why not?
I mean, I can hazard a guess but why do you say that?

It's rushed and poorly structured. It basically reads like a lot of padded out waffle and gets quite tiresome. He does have some witty and insightful things to say, but it would have worked much better as a long article.

I'm glad I've stayed away - I've wanted to get a bio and saw this one, hesitated, but wanted to do further research...

I recommend Trynka's 'Starman' and 'Strange Fascination' by... bloody hell, name has gone
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 01 Aug 2017, 14:18

David Buckley!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 01 Aug 2017, 15:04

Yes to both of those. They have different strengths. Buckley is very good on the music and the artistic purpose. Trynka's book is very well researched and has lots of biographical detail I'd not come across before, but he has much less to say on the music (which is curious given he's the Mojo editor).

kewl klive
cultural defective

Postby kewl klive » 02 Aug 2017, 10:52

Diamond Dog wrote:RIP Jake. A tough, tough, tough man. A man you really didn't want to get into a street brawl with.

Hodgson wrote:John posted a picture of me which he'd doctored nastily

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 19 Aug 2017, 11:27

I'm playing "The Next Day" and I'm thinking back to the thrill that January day three years back when this descended on us from out-of-nowhere...no advance warning, no promos, no teasers...not even rumours. What a magical day that was - I mean "What The Fuck".

And it's such a fine album.... absolutely my favourite of his from after 'the golden period'... I play it more than most of the stuff outside of "Ziggy" "Aladdin Sane" "Low"and "Station To Station"....and "Diamond Dogs". Nothing of his gets played as much as this, besides those.

But it's impossible to hear it without remembering that morning when the news arrived.... and how wonderful it was to be a Bowie fan again.

I've still not plucked up the courage to play "Black Star" yet....
Romani ite domum

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 19 Aug 2017, 11:49

get it played and see him going out fully in charge of his muse.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 19 Aug 2017, 11:53

Blackstar is a better album.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 19 Aug 2017, 12:00

Diamond Dog wrote:I'm playing "The Next Day" and I'm thinking back to the thrill that January day three years back when this descended on us from out-of-nowhere...no advance warning, no promos, no teasers...not even rumours. What a magical day that was - I mean "What The Fuck".

And it's such a fine album.... absolutely my favourite of his from after 'the golden period'... I play it more than most of the stuff outside of "Ziggy" "Aladdin Sane" "Low"and "Station To Station"....and "Diamond Dogs". Nothing of his gets played as much as this, besides those.

But it's impossible to hear it without remembering that morning when the news arrived.... and how wonderful it was to be a Bowie fan again.

I confess I still haven't got round to buying 'The Next Day' but reading that certainly makes me think I should. I must admit I was a little put off by "Where Are They Now". I just found that one a bit dull and resigned sounding.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 19 Aug 2017, 12:03

Many say so yes (to Jeemo & Hugh)..

I have a 'difficult' or 'unusual' relationship with it though.....

I pre-ordered it and was waiting full of expectation on the morning for its arrival... only to find Amazon had screwed up and delivered it to my old address... so whilst everyone was celebrating it... I was in ignorance... and didn't want to spoil its newness so didn't sneak a preview anywhere...

Of course, those two days were crucial...by the time it dropped through my letterbox... David was no more and I just couldn't play it after that. It just seemed so inappropriate. I know that's crazy but it really did. I thought in a month or so I'm sure it will be easy to just listen to it as a new album and love it as much as others already have.

The problem is... that day hasn't arrived yet and I'm not actually sure when (if?) it ever will. :?

I'm torn. I realise it's wholly irrational but... hey, that's where I am.
Romani ite domum

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 19 Aug 2017, 12:04

The Modernist wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:I'm playing "The Next Day" and I'm thinking back to the thrill that January day three years back when this descended on us from out-of-nowhere...no advance warning, no promos, no teasers...not even rumours. What a magical day that was - I mean "What The Fuck".

I confess I still haven't got round to buying 'The Next Day' but reading that certainly makes me think I should. I must admit I was a little put off by "Where Are They Now". I just found that one a bit dull and resigned sounding.

It took me three or four listens (maybe more) G.

Absolutely worth it though.
Romani ite domum

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 19 Aug 2017, 12:21

I will make happy, Pete. Honestly. Although you will cry a bit the first time. As Jeemo says, just do it.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 19 Aug 2017, 12:36

Diamond Dog wrote:

As all really worthwhile records do. If you absolutely love a rcord the first time you hear it, then you will almost certainly tire of it quickly. The Next Day is one of those records that keeps giving the more you listen. A bit like Outside and Reality.
You don't like me...do you?

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 19 Aug 2017, 12:47

yomptepi wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:

As all really worthwhile records do. If you absolutely love a rcord the first time you hear it, then you will almost certainly tire of it quickly. The Next Day is one of those records that keeps giving the more you listen. A bit like Outside and Reality.

You should take your own advice and apply it to 'Lodger'.

;)

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 19 Aug 2017, 13:57

Where Are They Now was a very weak single. The album is actually good, very good in places.

I think it might pleasantly surprise you, G.
Copehead wrote:You are making a fool of yourself.

Muskrat wrote:I'm undemonstrative during shows; no matter how much I enjoy them. People who get up and move around ("dance," if they will) strike me as show-offs

COLIN LAND
hounds people off the board

Postby COLIN LAND » 19 Aug 2017, 16:45

It is.

Unlike Blackstar
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:
The Modernist wrote:
Your essay needs to be in before 5.00 tomorrow Dougie.

:D :D :D

One of the finest replies in BCB's history.

Nervous Ned

Postby Nervous Ned » 19 Aug 2017, 16:53

I've tried to like The Next Day I really have, but find little to like about it. It just seemed so tired and safe.
Blackstar on the other hand, while not perfect, just seemed to be Bowie doing whatever he wanted to.
DD, you're spot on about that interval between the release and that awful Monday. I remember thinking that for the first time in ages, here was a Bowie album that had me looking forward to his next one.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 19 Aug 2017, 17:14

The Modernist wrote:
yomptepi wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:

You should take your own advice and apply it to 'Lodger'.

;)

I did. Had you been here, you would see I have changed my mind about it, and now consider it a great record.
You don't like me...do you?

ConnyOlivetti
Probing The Sonic Heritage

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 19 Aug 2017, 20:29

never/ever wrote:the BCB-universe...may it continue to piss Coan off ad infinitum.

Un enfant dans electronica!
Je suis!

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 19 Aug 2017, 22:49

Being the fellow who had the least nice things to say about Bowie from 1980-2010, I have to say the last two albums are great. I had given up on him, honestly. And this isn't a post-death reappraisal at all - he simply caught my attention again. I really didn't expect it was possible.

I'd be interested to hear from G once he's listened.
The Great Defector wrote:I still stand by if other people are doing as opposition or its just an everyday day thing, doesn't mean you have to or should do. Work away like, I'm just get your problem.

1959 1963 1965 1981 1988 2017?

ConnyOlivetti
Probing The Sonic Heritage

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 20 Aug 2017, 09:10

toomanyhatz wrote:Being the fellow who had the least nice things to say about Bowie from 1980-2010, I have to say the last two albums are great. I had given up on him, honestly. And this isn't a post-death reappraisal at all - he simply caught my attention again. I really didn't expect it was possible.

I'd be interested to hear from G once he's listened.

So, no love for Heathen!?
That is the one for me, "caught my attention again" album!
never/ever wrote:the BCB-universe...may it continue to piss Coan off ad infinitum.

Un enfant dans electronica!
Je suis!