David Bowie RIP

Do talk back
Geezee

Re: David Bowie RIP

Postby Geezee » 12 Jan 2021, 11:38

jimboo wrote:Tribute . Cringe fests in my book. The best way to remember Bowie or anyone really is to watch/listen to him/them.
I know people mean well but it turns people's work into something akin to a big gypsy funeral.

Yes, it's also likely that my benchmark for entertainment is very different these days under lockdown... :cry:
that said, I'm a fan of the Townes van Zandt gathering at the Old Quarter that Rex Bell puts together on New Years Day every year - I've never been there but always look at the recordings (and this year was of course entirely virtual). It's very informal and full of stories, would love to go one day if it was ever feasible.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 17 Jan 2021, 18:38

Geezee wrote:There was a Bowie tribute led by Mike Garson on Saturday night (and available for 24 subsequent hours). Compared to the BBC tribute a few years ago, which was quite serious and po-faced, this one was really quite good - lively, fun and diverse, and I'm quite surprised they were able to put this all together virtually so well. A really tight band, part of which being Zoomed in, marshalled by Garson, and some nice reimagining of certain songs (like Win and surprise version of Slaughter on 10th Avenue). Of course some inevitable misses here and there, but Garson really put something pretty unique together - Corey Glovers Young Americans, Catherine Russel's Conversation Piece, Gail Ann Dorsey's Strangers When We Meet all really worked really well. Hope it comes it out as a standalone programme at some point. (I do wonder what caused the event to be delayed by 24 hrs - it was supposed to be done on Friday. Although they cited COVID, it seemed from Garson's statement that it was more to do with the troubles in DC, which I wonder how it would impact this kind of event).

A friend got me a ticket for that but when I tried to watch it after the event, it wouldn't let me view it. I don't know whether to pursue it or not given how much I disliked the event I went to in 2019.

As a fan, the poignant sadness is disappearing for me year on year. At my birthday party last year me and ALB were dancing to Bowie and both grinning, which given the misery of our messages a few years before was progress :lol: This year, we drove back from the coast and listened to the radio shows he hosted. I laughed all the way back. He was a funny old fuck, wasn't he?
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 18 Jan 2021, 14:17

Minnie the Minx wrote:At my birthday party last year me and ALB were dancing to Bowie and both grinning, which given the misery of our messages a few years before was progress :lol: This year, we drove back from the coast and listened to the radio shows he hosted. I laughed all the way back. He was a funny old fuck, wasn't he?

Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 18 Jan 2021, 16:39

I heard Mike Garson's version of Fantastic Voyage with Trent Reznor singing. Sounded like Garson had never heard the song before. Garson is really milking the Dame. Totally dignity bypass.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 18 Jan 2021, 17:58

Jimbly wrote:I heard Mike Garson's version of Fantastic Voyage with Trent Reznor singing. Sounded like Garson had never heard the song before. Garson is really milking the Dame. Totally dignity bypass.

Terrible that should happen. Scientologist though, so we already knew he's a bit of a cunt.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 11 Apr 2021, 18:29

:lol:
Give a shit or be a shit.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 09 Jul 2021, 16:06

Return to “Yakety Yak”