David Bowie RIP

Do talk back
ConnyOlivetti
Probing The Sonic Heritage

Re: David Bowie RIP

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 04 Oct 2018, 13:39

Would love to get an official release of the 50th birthday concert, audio and visual (dvd)
Best thing I ever seen from the man.
But guess there would be a struggle with all involved to release that one
Have old recording from the telly broadcast (audio and video)
quality ok, but would sure sound and look better with a proper release
Charlie O. wrote:I think Coan and Googa are right.

Un enfant dans electronica!
Je suis!

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 08 Jan 2019, 15:45

Warner Music Group squeezing a few more quid out of people

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/ ... ore-146635
Give a shit or be a shit.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 08 Jan 2019, 16:37

ConnyOlivetti wrote:Would love to get an official release of the 50th birthday concert, audio and visual (dvd)

I guess that's what I have. 8 tracks, some with various other bands. Quality sounds OK. Must have been a download from somewhere.

ConnyOlivetti
Probing The Sonic Heritage

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 09 Jan 2019, 06:51

The Prof wrote:
ConnyOlivetti wrote:Would love to get an official release of the 50th birthday concert, audio and visual (dvd)

I guess that's what I have. 8 tracks, some with various other bands. Quality sounds OK. Must have been a download from somewhere.

Well, mine is almost the whole concert, at least what was broadcast on swedish telly
its 18 tracks
Charlie O. wrote:I think Coan and Googa are right.

Un enfant dans electronica!
Je suis!

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 09 Jan 2019, 23:39

Anyone downloaded the David Bowie Is app? My iPad doesn't meet the minimum specs :-(
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 10 Jan 2019, 15:48

Three years eh.
I enjoyed a Bowie’s birthday party on Saturday and it was a blast - notably no sadness, just freaking and funking out.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 10 Jan 2019, 18:11

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 12 Jan 2019, 21:23

A friend posted this on his timeline and it made me smile.

I miss him.. :(

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 29 Jan 2019, 12:14

David Bowie: Rare Ziggy Stardust footage hailed as the 'holy grail' http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-47040202

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 29 Jan 2019, 18:24

The David Bowie Is app.

Anyone?
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

`

Postby ` » 11 Feb 2019, 09:41

Anybody watch the third and final of Frances Whately's three Five Years films on Sat night? Still up on iPlayer if you didn't.

For me, it's the best of the three in many ways as it shows Bowie while he was struggling to make it.

Aside from the extraordinary amount of rare or unseen music promos and film footage (who says videos only started with MTV?), the most remarkable thing about the whole film was how much support DB was given by various record companies. Kudos to Gus Dudgeon who stuck by Bowie from the Laughing Gnome onwards.

While - home recording/filming and social media aside - there's obviously no way that would happen now, it's hard to think of a time when talent was given that much creative scope and financial rope*.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 11 Feb 2019, 09:58

Bowie's case was extreme, but not totally unusual. A number of other 70s stars had a similar pre fame struggles in the 60s - Bolan, Rod Stewart, Elton John. As you say it wouldn't happen now, indeed it didn't happen after the mid seventies when record companies became far more ruthless in their treatment of artists.
On the programme itself I enjoyed it a lot, although some things were puzzlingly brushed over. Not much was said about Hunky Dory, which is odd given it contains some of Bowie's best known songs ( I don't think Life on Mars was even mentioned). Would have liked to hear more about the Beckenham Arts Lab and free festival Bowie organised. The latter is important because it crystallised his disillusionment with the 60s and made him pursue a different direction. For the documentary to not even mention it was quite an error I thought.

`

Postby ` » 11 Feb 2019, 10:25

The Modernist wrote:Bowie's case was extreme, but not totally unusual. A number of other 70s stars had a similar pre fame struggles in the 60s - Bolan, Rod Stewart, Elton John. As you say it wouldn't happen now, indeed it didn't happen after the mid seventies when record companies became far more ruthless in their treatment of artists.
On the programme itself I enjoyed it a lot, although some things were puzzlingly brushed over. Not much was said about Hunky Dory, which is odd given it contains some of Bowie's best known songs ( I don't think Life on Mars was even mentioned). Would have liked to hear more about the Beckenham Arts Lab and free festival Bowie organised. The latter is important because it crystallised his disillusionment with the 60s and made him pursue a different direction. For the documentary to not even mention it was quite an error I thought.

Pretty sure the film maker covered Hunky Dory in the original Five Years film - seem to remember RIck Wakeman talking about the complexity of the keyboard chords for Life On Mars.

Think you're right about the free festival - as immortalized in his flop follow up to Space Oddity, Memory of a Free Festival - which I don't think got a mention at all (if it did, it was probably a blink and you'll miss it moment so may have been in the bathroom or making tea).

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 13 Feb 2019, 14:16

I was just reading some PAOTD stuff and he reckons that Blackstar was meant to be structured in the same way and ‘mirror’ Station to Station.. something that had never really entered my head.

Dr Markus wrote:

Robert

Postby Robert » 13 Feb 2019, 15:51

d.p.
Last edited by Robert on 13 Feb 2019, 15:54, edited 1 time in total.

Robert

Postby Robert » 13 Feb 2019, 15:54

caramba wrote:
The Modernist wrote:Bowie's case was extreme, but not totally unusual. A number of other 70s stars had a similar pre fame struggles in the 60s - Bolan, Rod Stewart, Elton John. As you say it wouldn't happen now, indeed it didn't happen after the mid seventies when record companies became far more ruthless in their treatment of artists.

Pretty sure the film maker covered Hunky Dory in the original Five Years film - seem to remember RIck Wakeman talking about the complexity of the keyboard chords for Life On Mars.

Think you're right about the free festival - as immortalized in his flop follow up to Space Oddity, Memory of a Free Festival - which I don't think got a mention at all (if it did, it was probably a blink and you'll miss it moment so may have been in the bathroom or making tea).

Wasn't that about the chord sequences being unusual rather than complex?

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 13 Feb 2019, 15:59

Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 13 Feb 2019, 19:24

The picture on the reverse of Pin Ups needs to be moved slightly to the left for full comedic spindle effect.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 22 Mar 2019, 14:37

We went to one of the many and now probably endless "Bowie alumni" spin offs last night - various musicians who have been involved in Bowie's life and career forming together and doing tribute type stuff. I had really enjoyed Visconti and Woody etc touring The Man Who Sold The World in 2016 and I know Earl Slick has been touring Station to Station which I was vaguely interested in seeing (even if for the opening few bars of the song itself.) It was a sort of bizarre affair, enjoyable enough, but I was a bit fueled on generous vodka pours from a nearby bar and had a running commentary in my head of what needed to be different. We were in the balcony which didn't help as I couldn't see people's faces. It was all a bit vaudeville, which I am not opposed to, but it was hard to keep track of what was going on. Mike Garson, (who famously moaned and moaned that he wasn't just someone who played with Bowie and should be independently recognized and then named his book "Bowie's Piano Man") over egged the pudding rather, irritatingly enough during Aladdin Sane which didn't work. The drummer had one volume - loud and rock - for everything, be it Disco King or Space Oddity (even Baron was mumbling that he needed to tone it down) and I couldn't quite get my head round the fact that most of the singing was done by Leee John. Yes, Leee John from Imagination. Then when he had a break, the guy from Living Colour. Anyway, I can't remember who it was on BCB who once said after listening to a series of Bowie covers - "you know the thing that makes Bowie songs great - is Bowie." And that was never more evident than last night, when memory was milked for all it was worth but didn't contain anything that touched you in the feels.

Dr Markus wrote:

Nervous Ned

Postby Nervous Ned » 22 Mar 2019, 15:12

That’s very disappointing Minnie.
I’m not so convinced about Garson. Last time I looked his website was virtually based around his Bowie association. Pity, he is a great pianist.
Freddie Mercury had a tribute concert at Wembley Stadium ... Bowie Just gets a bunch of shabby cheapo cash ins.
How did that happen?

Return to “Yakety Yak”