David Bowie RIP

Do talk back
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Re: David Bowie RIP

Postby Minnie the Minx » 22 Mar 2019, 14:37

We went to one of the many and now probably endless "Bowie alumni" spin offs last night - various musicians who have been involved in Bowie's life and career forming together and doing tribute type stuff. I had really enjoyed Visconti and Woody etc touring The Man Who Sold The World in 2016 and I know Earl Slick has been touring Station to Station which I was vaguely interested in seeing (even if for the opening few bars of the song itself.) It was a sort of bizarre affair, enjoyable enough, but I was a bit fueled on generous vodka pours from a nearby bar and had a running commentary in my head of what needed to be different. We were in the balcony which didn't help as I couldn't see people's faces. It was all a bit vaudeville, which I am not opposed to, but it was hard to keep track of what was going on. Mike Garson, (who famously moaned and moaned that he wasn't just someone who played with Bowie and should be independently recognized and then named his book "Bowie's Piano Man") over egged the pudding rather, irritatingly enough during Aladdin Sane which didn't work. The drummer had one volume - loud and rock - for everything, be it Disco King or Space Oddity (even Baron was mumbling that he needed to tone it down) and I couldn't quite get my head round the fact that most of the singing was done by Leee John. Yes, Leee John from Imagination. Then when he had a break, the guy from Living Colour. Anyway, I can't remember who it was on BCB who once said after listening to a series of Bowie covers - "you know the thing that makes Bowie songs great - is Bowie." And that was never more evident than last night, when memory was milked for all it was worth but didn't contain anything that touched you in the feels.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Nervous Ned

Postby Nervous Ned » 22 Mar 2019, 15:12

That’s very disappointing Minnie.
I’m not so convinced about Garson. Last time I looked his website was virtually based around his Bowie association. Pity, he is a great pianist.
Freddie Mercury had a tribute concert at Wembley Stadium ... Bowie Just gets a bunch of shabby cheapo cash ins.
How did that happen?

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 06 Apr 2019, 18:46

Give a shit or be a shit.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 06 Apr 2019, 18:53

Tom Waits For No One wrote:https://www.vans.co.uk/shop/en-gb/vans-gb/bowie

I saw that! Is it just me who thinks they are all ghastly?

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 17 Apr 2019, 13:55

Another bizarre Bowie dream. I occasionally have these dreams where I’m looking after him in his last days. I don’t have to do anything except give him diamorphine and help him paint.

Dr Markus wrote:

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 11 Jul 2019, 21:30

Time, in quaaludes and red wine
Demanding Barbie Dolls :shock:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/ ... y-stardust
Give a shit or be a shit.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 15 Jul 2019, 16:42

Tom Waits For No One wrote:Time, in quaaludes and red wine
Demanding Barbie Dolls :shock: