Joanna Newsom

Do talk back
Spec

Re: Joanna Newsome

Postby Spec » 03 Oct 2015, 14:13

Looking forward to the album. I liked Milk Eyed a lot, and loved Ys but could never get into Have One On Me.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 03 Oct 2015, 15:33

NO.
You don't like me...do you?

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 05 Oct 2015, 15:28

Good news.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 05 Oct 2015, 15:36

Playing Manchester again? I saw her at The Palace on her last tour, and it was just about the best gig I've ever witnessed.

And I've just checked and I can't make it because of my son's under 8 rugby league Halloween party. That fucking sucks. Why didn't she check with me first?
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 05 Oct 2015, 18:53

K wrote: The kids have their Halloween party at their grandma's and I get to see Joanna Newsom.

I know which I'd prefer. Trick or treat, anyone?

Canis lupus

Postby Canis lupus » 05 Oct 2015, 19:46

She divides opinion, that's for sure:

I think this is great. Peerless (no?)

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 05 Oct 2015, 21:09

I'll probably get it, though each album (for me personally) has had diminishing returns. I loved the debut, thought Ys was good, and never really got into the most recent one.
Sir John Coan wrote:Nolamike is speaking nothing but sense here.

Loki wrote:Mike is Hookfinger's shill.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 05 Oct 2015, 21:53

K wrote:A favourite, with quite possible the sexiest yelp in music.

Colleen's my favourite song of hers by far, really fabulous arrangements and that yelp is really something, yeah!... but I do love YS and Have One On Me quite unreservedly too.

Can't abide her voice on the debut, on the other hand, it sounds too childish even for me.

The two tracks I heard of the new one didn't really move me... yet? Still looking forward to hearing the whole album-
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 05 Oct 2015, 22:06

Neige wrote:
K wrote:A favourite, with quite possible the sexiest yelp in music.

Colleen's my favourite song of hers by far, really fabulous arrangements and that yelp is really something, yeah!... but I do love YS and Have One On Me quite unreservedly too.

I really liked that. Thanks people!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 05 Oct 2015, 22:25

An absolute fucking nightmare.
You don't like me...do you?

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 05 Oct 2015, 23:57

K wrote:Yep. Anyone who doesn't like that is fucking weird.

Anyone who prefers Halloween to that need locking up. I'm looking at you, slightbreeze

And I hate Halloween with a vengeance. :)

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 01 Nov 2015, 09:20

K wrote:Yep. Anyone who doesn't like that is fucking weird.

The music is beautiful it must be said, but I don't think I'll ever like her voice.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Re: Joanna Newsom

Postby Neige » 02 Nov 2015, 09:16

K wrote:The band were incredible.

How many musicians? Does she manage to reproduce the rich instrumentation on stage?

Found the album on my doormat after holidays last night and had a first listen on commute earlier today... wow. I'm a bit overwhelmed by the incredibly varied arrangements, but it feels like a real "grower" with definite album-of-the-year potential.
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 17 Dec 2015, 14:33

We saw her on Monday night at a small-ish theatre, and managed to get comp tickets for the third row centre from B's friend who works for the promoter. I was immediately impressed by how talented her 'band' were. I'm sure they've all studied music since they were children.
As in the review posted above, it seemed like a bit of a competition amongst audience members to see who could say the nicest thing about her between songs, and I felt somewhat embarrased for her and them, although she didn't seem to mind too much.
Anyway, I'm not familiar enough with her catalogue to know many of the songs she played, but I've been listening to Divers quite a bit lately, and am quite keen on it. I think I'll have to explore her back catalogue - anything to avoid (including smart-arse remarks)?

*edit*

Here's a review of the Toronto show if anyone's interested: http://exclaim.ca/music/article/joanna_newsom-queen_elizabeth_theatre_toronto_on_december_14?utm_source=facebookpage&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=fbpwall
Last edited by harvey k-tel on 17 Dec 2015, 15:16, edited 1 time in total.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 17 Dec 2015, 14:54

I love Newsom.

I can somehow, with some real effort, grasp why others don't like her music. But then, I have been a certified, card-carrying Van Dyke Parks nutter for 40 years now (and suddenly feel old whist making this declaration). And it took me a long while to even begin to see that other people may have tastes that are different from mine (well, that's what real fans have: the long-lasting urge to convince friends and acquaintances that your own preferences should be everybody's, which leads to 'listening sessions' that are entirely voluntary for yourself, but could be not precisely that for your visitor).

*I am reminded of long, long ago, when I tried overhard to change others into becoming VDP, Beach Boys, Van Morrison, etc. diehards - I guess I may be lucky that I entirely failed in my missions*
Last edited by Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman on 17 Dec 2015, 15:48, edited 1 time in total.
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 17 Dec 2015, 15:43

I enjoyed her performance on Colbert, but I wasn't terrible enthralled by the new album. A handful of tracks stood out.

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 17 Dec 2015, 17:16

K wrote:
pcqgod wrote:I enjoyed her performance on Colbert, but I wasn't terrible enthralled by the new album. A handful of tracks stood out.

It's a grower. I thought it sounded a bit too confused and listless the first couple of plays but suddenly it clicked into place.

It's the effect her music has on me too, that 'grower' thing you mean. Same was the case with Van Dyke Parks, well, with most of the music that stood the test of time with me.

What I 'got' first time around, is a rather small part in my collection. Well, not surprisingly, the Undertones and the Ramones are prime examples. And I am happy to say that their work also has been a lasting pleasure.
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 17 Dec 2015, 17:47

Seasonal Tunes v2.0 wrote:
K wrote:
pcqgod wrote:I enjoyed her performance on Colbert, but I wasn't terrible enthralled by the new album. A handful of tracks stood out.

It's a grower. I thought it sounded a bit too confused and listless the first couple of plays but suddenly it clicked into place.

It's the effect her music has on me too, that 'grower' thing you mean. Same was the case with Van Dyke Parks, well, with most of the music that stood the test of time with me.

What I 'got' first time around, is a rather small part in my collection. Well, not surprisingly, the Undertones and the Ramones are prime examples. And I am happy to say that their work also has been a lasting pleasure.

Yeah, but I liked her older albums straightaway.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 18 Dec 2015, 09:05

Her older albums were a lot better, which probably explains it.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 20 Dec 2015, 23:51

Is she jammin' too 'mersh for you mofos?
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Return to “Yakety Yak”