STRICTLY, Yes, STRICTLY TULLHEADS ONLY

Do talk back
User avatar
never/ever
Posts: 20730
Joined: 27 Jun 2008, 14:21
Location: Journeying through a burning brain

Re: STRICTLY, Yes, STRICTLY TULLHEADS ONLY [nobody else]

Postby never/ever » 19 Aug 2015, 10:06

Quacoan wrote:Good thread idea. But pick some good Tull already!



Coming right up!




Let's rock!














.
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

User avatar
Purgatory Brite
Posts: 1683
Joined: 22 Feb 2015, 11:31

Re: STRICTLY, Yes, STRICTLY TULLHEADS ONLY [nobody else]

Postby Purgatory Brite » 19 Aug 2015, 12:44



A very powerful performance by the Tull!

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 47591
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: STRICTLY, Yes, STRICTLY TULLHEADS ONLY [nobody else]

Postby C » 19 Aug 2015, 13:57

Eye Shaking King wrote:A very powerful performance by the Tull!


Indeed pb

Indeed







never/ever wrote:
Quacoan wrote:Good thread idea. But pick some good Tull already!



Coming right up!




Let's rock!







.









.
slightbreeze wrote:Some excellent tracks to honest, but 20 tracks on each disc? A true progger goes cold if there are more than 3

User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 45502
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

Re: STRICTLY, Yes, STRICTLY TULLHEADS ONLY [nobody else]

Postby Quaco » 19 Aug 2015, 18:43

This is one of the best end-of-summer/'60s/relationship songs out there, and completely free of Andersonian mugging.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

User avatar
Purgatory Brite
Posts: 1683
Joined: 22 Feb 2015, 11:31

Re: STRICTLY, Yes, STRICTLY TULLHEADS ONLY [nobody else]

Postby Purgatory Brite » 20 Aug 2015, 11:05



... that old feeling ...

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 47591
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: STRICTLY, Yes, STRICTLY TULLHEADS ONLY [nobody else]

Postby C » 20 Aug 2015, 15:13

never/ever wrote:
Quacoan wrote:Good thread idea. But pick some good Tull already!



Coming right up!




Let's rock!














.


Good call Maarts - a seminally robust track from a robustly seminal album

The electronic trickery, particularly towards the end, is a sheer delight

(and of course, Evan's stabbing and stalking Hammond!)

Was Clive Bunker their best tub-thumper...?

Well, was Clive Bunker their best tub-thumper...??





.
slightbreeze wrote:Some excellent tracks to honest, but 20 tracks on each disc? A true progger goes cold if there are more than 3

User avatar
never/ever
Posts: 20730
Joined: 27 Jun 2008, 14:21
Location: Journeying through a burning brain

Re: STRICTLY, Yes, STRICTLY TULLHEADS ONLY [nobody else]

Postby never/ever » 20 Aug 2015, 22:53

Hard to say no- since he was involved in so many of my fave Tull-albums.
I didn't think Barlow missed any tricks picking up the sticks on Thick, he was perhaps a bit more straightforward but he made it fit Tull's music nicely.
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

User avatar
The Savage Young Gash
cultural defective
Posts: 12902
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: pivoting towards woke-ness

Re: STRICTLY, Yes, STRICTLY TULLHEADS ONLY [nobody else]

Postby The Savage Young Gash » 20 Aug 2015, 22:59



Creepy Black Sabbath gear.
Dogshit wrote:I'd like to say I;d never resort to bombs - but I;m not sure I can ever truly walk in those shoes


Dogshit wrote:I do find the inclusion of women unsavoury


Dogshit wrote:Did either Duck Dunn or James Jefferson change music irrevocably?


User avatar
never/ever
Posts: 20730
Joined: 27 Jun 2008, 14:21
Location: Journeying through a burning brain

Re: STRICTLY, Yes, STRICTLY TULLHEADS ONLY [nobody else]

Postby never/ever » 20 Aug 2015, 23:05

I actually am playing that album right now this morning.....it is fine fare indeed!
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

User avatar
Nancy
Daft Sod
Posts: 6538
Joined: 20 Feb 2013, 22:25
Location: Where I am when I'm not here.

Re: STRICTLY, Yes, STRICTLY TULLHEADS ONLY [nobody else]

Postby Nancy » 21 Aug 2015, 19:20

Carlsson wrote:
never/ever wrote:
Quacoan wrote:Good thread idea. But pick some good Tull already!



Coming right up!




Let's rock!














.


Good call Maarts - a seminally robust track from a robustly seminal album

The electronic trickery, particularly towards the end, is a sheer delight

(and of course, Evan's stabbing and stalking Hammond!)

Was Clive Bunker their best tub-thumper...?

Well, was Clive Bunker their best tub-thumper...??





.


I would vote for Mr. Barlow, but just by a whisker.

And Play In Time is a monster track. I love every second of Benefit. But then I love almost every song from Stand Up all the way through Broadsword and the Beast. Speaking of which.....
Pontificating incorrigibly since birth.

User avatar
Nancy
Daft Sod
Posts: 6538
Joined: 20 Feb 2013, 22:25
Location: Where I am when I'm not here.

Re: STRICTLY, Yes, STRICTLY TULLHEADS ONLY [nobody else]

Postby Nancy » 21 Aug 2015, 19:20

Pontificating incorrigibly since birth.

User avatar
Purgatory Brite
Posts: 1683
Joined: 22 Feb 2015, 11:31

Re: STRICTLY, Yes, STRICTLY TULLHEADS ONLY [nobody else]

Postby Purgatory Brite » 22 Aug 2015, 11:02



One of Ian Anderson's best songs in my view.

The Original Masters compilation is well worth having as an overview of the band's work.

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 32503
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: bama via new orleans

Re: STRICTLY, Yes, STRICTLY TULLHEADS ONLY [nobody else]

Postby kath » 22 Aug 2015, 16:03

Quacoan wrote:This is one of the best end-of-summer/'60s/relationship songs out there, and completely free of Andersonian mugging.



I love all of stand up, but this one is probably my fave:


User avatar
soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster
Posts: 7479
Joined: 20 Jun 2006, 10:55

Re: STRICTLY, Yes, STRICTLY TULLHEADS ONLY [nobody else]

Postby soundchaser » 22 Aug 2015, 16:09

My favourite Tull song:



Life affirming brilliance.

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 32503
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: bama via new orleans

Re: STRICTLY, Yes, STRICTLY TULLHEADS ONLY [nobody else]

Postby kath » 22 Aug 2015, 16:37

soundchaser wrote:My favourite Tull song:



Life affirming brilliance.


indeed. i love it.

way back in the dark ages, when i was a new navy weef, i used to make mix cassettes all the time for the out-to-sea husband/future exhole. i would try to fill up every second of tape i could. i had made this tull mix, and i wanted "life's a long song" to be the closing track. i was soooo sure i could fit it, i had worked it out right.

so it gets to the very end of the song, and this is what happened: "... but the tune ends too soon for us" <click> end of tape.

i decided to leave it as it was for thematic purposes, mwhaha.

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 47591
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: STRICTLY, Yes, STRICTLY TULLHEADS ONLY [nobody else]

Postby C » 22 Aug 2015, 20:33

Indeed kath

Indeed

However, I suspect that not all posters on this thread are real Tullheads

I think the Illuminati II need to vet them

Yes, just like the Labour Party leadership election votes, I think the Illuminati II need to vet them







.
slightbreeze wrote:Some excellent tracks to honest, but 20 tracks on each disc? A true progger goes cold if there are more than 3

User avatar
Mike Boom
Posts: 2366
Joined: 02 Sep 2005, 03:49

Re: STRICTLY, Yes, STRICTLY TULLHEADS ONLY [nobody else]

Postby Mike Boom » 22 Aug 2015, 21:58



Always love the lyric to this, very evocative images of the British seaside of Andersons childhood Blackpool

"I'm going up the `pool from down the smoke below
to taste my mum's jam sarnies and see our Aunty Flo..."


...There'll be bucket, spades and bingo, cockles, mussels, rainy days,
seaweed and sand castles, icy waves.
Deck chairs, rubber dinghies, old vests, braces dangling down,
sun-tanned stranded starfish in a daze...


... so good that Roy Harper did a version. Brilliance

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 32503
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: bama via new orleans

Re: STRICTLY, Yes, STRICTLY TULLHEADS ONLY [nobody else]

Postby kath » 22 Aug 2015, 22:19

Carlsson wrote:Indeed kath

Indeed

However, I suspect that not all posters on this thread are real Tullheads

I think the Illuminati II need to vet them

Yes, just like the Labour Party leadership election votes, I think the Illuminati II need to vet them







.


absolutely. it is clearly a conspiracy of the highest order, with nontullheads proliferating and procreating in the shrubbery like diseased rats. off with their lil bewhiskered nontullheads!!

i think i will start with reap. he's such a troublemaker. i would like to vet him.

(she puts on a stethoscope, a pair of rubber gloves...)

oops, this is a family show. i forget sometimes.

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 32503
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: bama via new orleans

Re: STRICTLY, Yes, STRICTLY TULLHEADS ONLY [nobody else]

Postby kath » 22 Aug 2015, 22:31

Mike Boom wrote:

Always love the lyric to this, very evocative images of the British seaside of Andersons childhood Blackpool

"I'm going up the `pool from down the smoke below
to taste my mum's jam sarnies and see our Aunty Flo..."


...There'll be bucket, spades and bingo, cockles, mussels, rainy days,
seaweed and sand castles, icy waves.
Deck chairs, rubber dinghies, old vests, braces dangling down,
sun-tanned stranded starfish in a daze...


... so good that Roy Harper did a version. Brilliance


it taught me the word sarnies, in fact.

i made martha a tull mix as part of a secret santa package. the tracks, if anyone is interested:

life's a long song
dun ringill
jack a lynn
christmas song
bouree
cold wind to valhalla
velvet green
cheap day return
mother goose
nursie
skating away on the thin ice of a new day
reasons for waiting
up the pool
jack-in-the-green
salamander
wond'ring aloud
ring out solstice bells
one white duck
fire at midnight
elegy

User avatar
Nancy
Daft Sod
Posts: 6538
Joined: 20 Feb 2013, 22:25
Location: Where I am when I'm not here.

Re: STRICTLY, Yes, STRICTLY TULLHEADS ONLY [nobody else]

Postby Nancy » 22 Aug 2015, 22:35

kath wrote:
Carlsson wrote:Indeed kath

Indeed

However, I suspect that not all posters on this thread are real Tullheads

I think the Illuminati II need to vet them

Yes, just like the Labour Party leadership election votes, I think the Illuminati II need to vet them







.


absolutely. it is clearly a conspiracy of the highest order, with nontullheads proliferating and procreating in the shrubbery like diseased rats. off with their lil bewhiskered nontullheads!!

i think i will start with reap. he's such a troublemaker. i would like to vet him.

(she puts on a stethoscope, a pair of rubber gloves...)

oops, this is a family show. i forget sometimes.



When I think about me, I vet myself.
Pontificating incorrigibly since birth.


Return to “Yakety Yak”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 3 guests