Best Britpop LP

Do talk back
User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 32511
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Best Britpop LP

Postby Goat Boy » 15 Jul 2015, 10:12

You see horrible self indulgence, I see ambition and experimentation. It’s just a different beast, objectively weaker I guess because not all of it works but there’s magic and real atmosphere there. And there’s still great songs. But we’ve been here before of course.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.


Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

User avatar
space. invadere
hounds people off the board
Posts: 18657
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: bit reliant on prawns

Re: Best Britpop LP

Postby space. invadere » 15 Jul 2015, 10:46

I think I'm in the minority. But I've always found it a difficult listen and I don't like anything much beyond the singles.
GoogaMooga wrote:I've been GoogaMooga everywhere since I went online in 2005. There are copycats on the web incl a Brooklyn Food Festival, who have even adopted my camel case "M".

User avatar
soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster
Posts: 8022
Joined: 20 Jun 2006, 10:55

Re: Best Britpop LP

Postby soundchaser » 15 Jul 2015, 21:26

Just listening to the second Super Furry Animals album, Radiator, which I picked up for pence from Amazon Shops.

Wow, what a fucking good album: easily the best of theirs that I've heard.

User avatar
space. invadere
hounds people off the board
Posts: 18657
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: bit reliant on prawns

Re: Best Britpop LP

Postby space. invadere » 15 Jul 2015, 21:27

soundchaser wrote:Just listening to the second Super Furry Animals album, Radiator, which I picked up for pence from Amazon Shops.

Wow, what a fucking good album: easily the best of theirs that I've heard.


Might be their best, yeah.

Guerrilla, which followed, is almost as good.
GoogaMooga wrote:I've been GoogaMooga everywhere since I went online in 2005. There are copycats on the web incl a Brooklyn Food Festival, who have even adopted my camel case "M".

User avatar
the masked man
Schadenfreude
Posts: 26876
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 12:29
Location: Peterborough

Re: Best Britpop LP

Postby the masked man » 15 Jul 2015, 21:37

Goat Boy wrote:You see horrible self indulgence, I see ambition and experimentation. It’s just a different beast, objectively weaker I guess because not all of it works but there’s magic and real atmosphere there. And there’s still great songs. But we’ve been here before of course.


I agree. I think the album represents a full development of the promise of the first album, with both Anderson and Butler pushing themselves to expand the sonic horizon. And, as you say, the great songs are still there, it's just that they are creating new space for themselves to do something beyond Britpop and even beyond indie. It's a rapturous LP, easily remaining in my all-time top ten.

When Coming Up came out, it felt like a disappointment, even though objectively it's a very fine album of guitar pop. But it was a step back after Dog Man Star. Maybe they couldn't hope to maintain the magic of an album that laughs at the idea of a 'sophtmore slump'.....

User avatar
mantochanga
Posts: 1579
Joined: 02 Jul 2009, 13:26

Re: Best Britpop LP

Postby mantochanga » 15 Jul 2015, 21:44

la mome wrote:
Arthur Lager wrote:Oh for just ONE album today that's HALF as good as any of those mentioned thus far!



Image

though of course not British


Infinite upvote.

User avatar
Ranking Ted
Posts: 12337
Joined: 03 Feb 2004, 22:13
Location: Northern Britain

Re: Best Britpop LP

Postby Ranking Ted » 15 Jul 2015, 22:52

soundchaser wrote:Just listening to the second Super Furry Animals album, Radiator, which I picked up for pence from Amazon Shops.

Wow, what a fucking good album: easily the best of theirs that I've heard.

I played that to within an inch of its life at the time and therefore haven't gone near it in years. It is a belter of an album though, full of fizzing inventive psych tinged pop and a late period Britpop cracker.

Lemon Yoghourt
Posts: 6625
Joined: 28 May 2008, 13:40

Re: Best Britpop LP

Postby Lemon Yoghourt » 16 Jul 2015, 09:35

WASP wrote:
soundchaser wrote:Just listening to the second Super Furry Animals album, Radiator, which I picked up for pence from Amazon Shops.

Wow, what a fucking good album: easily the best of theirs that I've heard.


Might be their best, yeah.

Guerrilla, which followed, is almost as good.


Fuzzy Logic is great too. Brilliant band.

User avatar
soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster
Posts: 8022
Joined: 20 Jun 2006, 10:55

Re: Best Britpop LP

Postby soundchaser » 16 Jul 2015, 17:16

Lemon Yoghourt wrote:


Fuzzy Logic is great too. Brilliant band.[/quote]

I like Fuzzy Logic well enough, but it's quite easy to spot which songs they're borrowing from. Radiator, still has those influences, but the songs are a lot more original, and all the better for it.To my ears, anyway.

User avatar
soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster
Posts: 8022
Joined: 20 Jun 2006, 10:55

Re: Best Britpop LP

Postby soundchaser » 16 Jul 2015, 17:20

WASP wrote:
Guerrilla, which followed, is almost as good.


Thanks, I'll give it a go.

I'm still undecided on Rings Around The World, which I've also only recently picked up.

Not as immediately likeable to me as Radiator.

Lemon Yoghourt
Posts: 6625
Joined: 28 May 2008, 13:40

Re: Best Britpop LP

Postby Lemon Yoghourt » 17 Jul 2015, 11:30

soundchaser wrote:
Lemon Yoghourt wrote:


Fuzzy Logic is great too. Brilliant band.


I like Fuzzy Logic well enough, but it's quite easy to spot which songs they're borrowing from. Radiator, still has those influences, but the songs are a lot more original, and all the better for it.To my ears, anyway.[/quote]

Fair enough, and I might agree that Radiator is the better album overall, but I'm not sure there is anything on it better than Hometown Unicorn

User avatar
The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock
Posts: 46321
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:05
Location: I'm only here for the sneer
Contact:

Re: Best Britpop LP

Postby The Slider » 17 Jul 2015, 12:19

Super Furry Animals' popularity leaves me utterly dumbfounded.
I'd rather Shed Seven, Menswear and Space, God help me.
The Complete Pink Floyd Mp3 set now available in the usual place, should you want one.
Image

Lemon Yoghourt
Posts: 6625
Joined: 28 May 2008, 13:40

Re: Best Britpop LP

Postby Lemon Yoghourt » 17 Jul 2015, 13:12

The Slider wrote:Super Furry Animals' popularity leaves me utterly dumbfounded.
I'd rather Shed Seven, Menswear and Space, God help me.


You can't be right all of the time! ;)

User avatar
Moleskin
Posts: 14575
Joined: 18 Feb 2004, 12:38
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Re: Best Britpop LP

Postby Moleskin » 17 Jul 2015, 14:44

Lemon Yoghourt wrote:
The Slider wrote:Super Furry Animals' popularity leaves me utterly dumbfounded.
I'd rather Shed Seven, Menswear and Space, God help me.


You can't be right all of the time! ;)


And yet he is on this occasion.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

User avatar
The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ
Posts: 14694
Joined: 15 Sep 2003, 10:55
Location: Today, Tomorrow, Timaru
Contact:

Re: Best Britpop LP

Postby The Write Profile » 18 Jul 2015, 10:00

Image

Where does Black Grape's It's Great When You're Straight... fit into the equation? For what it's worth, I think it's the second-best LP Ryder was involved in and certainly the most rambunctious and fun. Of course, the title absolutely drips with irony- from the sneering malevolence of the title track to the ode to downers of Tramazi Party, and the whole thing sounds utterly wasted and monged. Sure, some of the sloppiness can be galling, but Ryder had fire in his belly for this record, and some of his lyrics and even vocals really kick it in the guts.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

User avatar
space. invadere
hounds people off the board
Posts: 18657
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: bit reliant on prawns

Re: Best Britpop LP

Postby space. invadere » 18 Jul 2015, 11:12

I find it terribly dated.
GoogaMooga wrote:I've been GoogaMooga everywhere since I went online in 2005. There are copycats on the web incl a Brooklyn Food Festival, who have even adopted my camel case "M".

User avatar
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!
Posts: 12327
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: Best Britpop LP

Postby The Modernist » 18 Jul 2015, 11:35

Their records were fun and colourful, but the kind of thing you got fed up with a month after hearing it

User avatar
The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ
Posts: 14694
Joined: 15 Sep 2003, 10:55
Location: Today, Tomorrow, Timaru
Contact:

Re: Best Britpop LP

Postby The Write Profile » 18 Jul 2015, 12:57

The Modernist wrote:Their records were fun and colourful, but the kind of thing you got fed up with a month after hearing it


I don't know, I picked it up cheaply and was surprised by how fresh it sounded- true, it lacks the cohesiveness of the best Mondays stuff, but there's a definite wit and brio to it. As an aside, I still think Fuzzy Logic is the best of the SFA albums- it's fizzing with spark, variety and tunes- but all of their records have something to recommend.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

User avatar
yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice
Posts: 35401
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 17:57
Location: well

Re: Best Britpop LP

Postby yomptepi » 18 Jul 2015, 14:05

no love for this?
Image
You don't like me...do you?

User avatar
space. invadere
hounds people off the board
Posts: 18657
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: bit reliant on prawns

Re: Best Britpop LP

Postby space. invadere » 18 Jul 2015, 14:13

This is just getting worse and worse, isn't it?
GoogaMooga wrote:I've been GoogaMooga everywhere since I went online in 2005. There are copycats on the web incl a Brooklyn Food Festival, who have even adopted my camel case "M".