Best Britpop LP

Do talk back
Deebank
Resonator

Re: Best Britpop LP

Postby Deebank » 07 Jul 2015, 21:08

The LP that (unwittingly) started it all:

Peerless!
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 07 Jul 2015, 21:47

Personally -

1. Giant Steps
2. Coming Up
3. Bandwagonesque
4. Different Class
5. maybe Parklife
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 07 Jul 2015, 23:03

Coltrane was great
But he was neither Brit nor Pop.
The Complete Beatles Mp3 set now available in the usual place, should you want one.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 08 Jul 2015, 04:15

My top
Oasis - definitely maybe
Pulp- different class
Blur- park life
Supergrass - I should coco

Also put
Doves- lost souls up there in the next runs of britpop bands .
Last edited by Hightea on 10 Jul 2015, 02:19, edited 1 time in total.

Graham Murakami

Postby Graham Murakami » 08 Jul 2015, 08:59

Geezee wrote:
The Slider wrote:Significantly - April - August

You are right.

I am labouring under a misapprehension.

I'm surprised to learn that as well - I had it in my head that Parklife came after, didn't realise they had fully 3 albums before Oasis got kicking...but then I always think that Oasis started earlier - I thought they were a pretty established band by the time I saw them at Glastonbury 1994 (when everyone seemed to think they were a grunge band!), when actually they hadn't even released an album by that time apparently. But for me Britpop started much earlier, around 1992. It really felt as if a marker was put in the sand, at least in my school, where the 80s British bands (Smiths, Roses, Mondays etc) were the domain of the older kids and the new bands like Blur and Suede were "ours". I seem to have a much broader canvas when I look at Britpop - for me Suede are for sure a huge part of it, as are Radiohead for sure (although possibly OK Computer signals the end). And the Manics, Verve, Saint Etienne, Belly, Boo Radleys, Ocean Colour Scene, maybe even Jamiroquai and Galliano....

Something started with the April 1993 Select magazine cover telling America to fuck off.
Until then, there had been a gradual realisation that, apart from Nirvana and a few other things (L7 on the word comes to mind), grunge wasn't really that great, while Suede were an exciting British band with an edge that no American band would ever provide. Blur released Popscene, having just been surprisingly good on the Rollercoaster tour. The Auteurs released New Wave and Pulp finally came to life about 10 years into their career. I wouldn't say any of this was Britpop though. It certainly set up a scene where Oasis could find an appreciative audience.

Most of the things I associate with Britpop are a bit shit, and 1995 seems to be the year that they all happened: Wake up Boo, the Chris Evans Breakfast show, Some Might Say, the Alright video.

Canis lupus

Postby Canis lupus » 08 Jul 2015, 10:24

Geezee wrote:...Radiohead for sure (although possibly OK Computer signals the end)

I think Blur's 97 LP earlier in the year was the "End" signifier, although OK Computer, plus Primal Scream - Vanishing Point, reconfirmed this.

Its also very important to remember the crass gullibility of the entire industry swallowing the hype of that fucking awful Oasis LP: not only did that settle it for "Britpop" (IMO), it also ruined the reputation of many scribes I had held a very high opinion of (e.g. Charles Shaar Murray, with that review). They should've known better

Canis lupus

Postby Canis lupus » 08 Jul 2015, 10:28

Graham Murakami wrote:
Geezee wrote:
The Slider wrote:Significantly - April - August

You are right.

I am labouring under a misapprehension.

I'm surprised to learn that as well - I had it in my head that Parklife came after, didn't realise they had fully 3 albums before Oasis got kicking...but then I always think that Oasis started earlier - I thought they were a pretty established band by the time I saw them at Glastonbury 1994 (when everyone seemed to think they were a grunge band!), when actually they hadn't even released an album by that time apparently. But for me Britpop started much earlier, around 1992. It really felt as if a marker was put in the sand, at least in my school, where the 80s British bands (Smiths, Roses, Mondays etc) were the domain of the older kids and the new bands like Blur and Suede were "ours". I seem to have a much broader canvas when I look at Britpop - for me Suede are for sure a huge part of it, as are Radiohead for sure (although possibly OK Computer signals the end). And the Manics, Verve, Saint Etienne, Belly, Boo Radleys, Ocean Colour Scene, maybe even Jamiroquai and Galliano....

Something started with the April 1993 Select magazine cover telling America to fuck off.
Until then, there had been a gradual realisation that, apart from Nirvana and a few other things (L7 on the word comes to mind), grunge wasn't really that great, while Suede were an exciting British band with an edge that no American band would ever provide. Blur released Popscene, having just been surprisingly good on the Rollercoaster tour. The Auteurs released New Wave and Pulp finally came to life about 10 years into their career. I wouldn't say any of this was Britpop though. It certainly set up a scene where Oasis could find an appreciative audience.

Most of the things I associate with Britpop are a bit shit, and 1995 seems to be the year that they all happened: Wake up Boo, the Chris Evans Breakfast show, Some Might Say, the Alright video.

Great to see you both artfully tip-toe around the horror of NWONW (kick-started by the NME in Jan, 1994). Well done

SlangKing

Postby SlangKing » 10 Jul 2015, 23:15

I understand that I may not totally understand the "BritPop" definition, but surely- if any Radiohead album qualifies it would be "The Bends".

Assuming that counts, I go:

"Parklife"
"Different Class"
"Bends"
"Coco"
Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.

Zombeels
Misinformed Music Critic

Postby Zombeels » 11 Jul 2015, 05:51

I guess the self titled Blur album doesn't count as Brit pop. It's miles (kilometres) better than any of the other Blur albums.
http://rateyourmusic.com/list/Zombeels/favourite_songs

I still like the Kinks

Clippernolan wrote:The Beatles are both fab and gear, with greater amounts of both fabness and gearity than any other band.

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 11 Jul 2015, 13:36

Rayge wrote:
Arthur Lager wrote:
Rayge wrote:Not that I've ever heard Parklife, but Cumberland's finest, British Sea Power, have released at least three great albums this century.

Hasn't existed since 1974, Raymondo!

:oops: Cumbria, then.

Where do the sausages come from, then?

Did they freeze a very large batch in 1974 and have been thawing them ever since?

Surely the European Union would want to know about food being labelled as originating in a place that no longer exists.
Obviously they have a few things to be getting on with this weekend, but I shall email them about the matter and they can deal with it next week, hopefully.
We owe so much
To the enemy
If not for them
Where would we be?

Conrad Knight Socks
Poptastic

Postby Conrad Knight Socks » 11 Jul 2015, 13:39

LMG wrote:
Rayge wrote:
:oops: Cumbria, then.

Where do the sausages come from, then?

Waitrose.
I kept thinking "swim as far as you can, swim as far as you can".

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 14 Jul 2015, 19:41

WASP wrote:If we're counting Suede, then I'd take their first album over everything else from that era.

Any love for this?

I reckon some of their best stuff is on there.
GoogaMooga wrote:
Minnie Cheddars wrote:Baron got into a fight with some Satan’s Slaves over some culinary issue

Awful thing when that happens. I had a similar experience at a Tom Jones concert.

Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings
hounds people off the board
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 14 Jul 2015, 20:37

I only like the early B-sides, particularly 'To The Birds', 'My Insatiable One', and one other I can't remember ('He's Dead'?). The rest just sounds like pale retreads. But those three are stellar.
GoogaMooga wrote:There's this joke about cowbells in the States, "More cowbell, we need more cowbell!".

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 14 Jul 2015, 21:25

The second disc is certainly weaker but yeah, 'To the Birds' is among their most magical moments.

What about this one?

GoogaMooga wrote:
Minnie Cheddars wrote:Baron got into a fight with some Satan’s Slaves over some culinary issue

Awful thing when that happens. I had a similar experience at a Tom Jones concert.

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 14 Jul 2015, 21:30

That one too!
GoogaMooga wrote:There's this joke about cowbells in the States, "More cowbell, we need more cowbell!".

Graham Murakami

Postby Graham Murakami » 14 Jul 2015, 22:04

PENK wrote:
WASP wrote:If we're counting Suede, then I'd take their first album over everything else from that era.

Any love for this?

I reckon some of their best stuff is on there.

No

It starts off like it is going to be absolutely fantastic, but the songs then seem to get longer and slighter and there are loads of them. I love Suede, but it's a very uncomfortable listen, and I just willed it to end the last time I tried. There is a Cure B-sides thing that's worse than this, and very bizarrely an Oasis one that is much better - there must be some kind of inverse law associated with compilations of this sort.

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 14 Jul 2015, 22:23

So just listen to the first disc then! It starts off fantastic like you say, but then you've also got 'Killing of a Flash Boy', 'Whipsnade' and 'Europe Is Our Playground' all near the end.
The second disc is for cherrypicking.
GoogaMooga wrote:

northernsky

Postby northernsky » 15 Jul 2015, 07:29

Arthur Lager wrote:Cumberland hasn't existed since 1974, Raymondo!

Rayge wrote: :oops: Cumbria, then.

LMG wrote:Where do the sausages come from, then?

Did they freeze a very large batch in 1974 and have been thawing them ever since?

Surely the European Union would want to know about food being labelled as originating in a place that no longer exists.
Obviously they have a few things to be getting on with this weekend, but I shall email them about the matter and they can deal with it next week, hopefully.

:!:
Was just thinking, these Savoy truffles are a bit chewy.
Came this close to making a complaint to the Duke.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 15 Jul 2015, 09:20

PENK wrote:So just listen to the first disc then! It starts off fantastic like you say, but then you've also got 'Killing of a Flash Boy', 'Whipsnade' and 'Europe Is Our Playground' all near the end.
The second disc is for cherrypicking.

It’s nowhere near as good as some people have suggested (best b-sides comp ever, better than most greatest hits) but the first disc is mostly good to very good and occasionally brilliant. My Insatiable One and To The Birds are the obvious highlights but then there’s My Dark Star, Flashboy, Whipsnade and some lesser stuff like High Rising, He’s Dead, The Big Time, Where The Pigs…, Europe Is Our Playground.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 15 Jul 2015, 09:27

Suede burned very brightly for their first year and put out some incredibly charged, exciting tunes. The media fuss that surrounded them was completely understandable. After that debut and the accompanying singles they became just another pretty-good British band.

Going from Suede to Dog Man Star is much like going from The Piper At The Gates of Dawn straight to The Wall - a horrible self-indulgence crept in and they lost most of the qualities that made their early work so vital. Happily they regained some of it for the next album but it was a little too close to mainstream for many fans.