Best Britpop LP

Do talk back
Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Re: Best Britpop LP

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 06 Jul 2015, 10:00

On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 06 Jul 2015, 10:42

Parklife is the album that’s most redolent of Britpop for me. There’s a youthful swagger and colourfulness that captures the optimism of that period better than anything else imo and it also works as a neat potted history of British pop music (Syd Barrett whimsy, Kinksian Brit characters, punky throwaways, new wave etc). In that sense I think it’s THE Britpop album. The cover is also the most iconic too.

The Supergrass debut has a similar up quality typified by Alright of course but it lacks the colour and depth of Parklife. My favourite is probably Dog Man Star although it doesn’t really feel like a Britpop album to me but it did provide a dark counterpoint but by the time it was released their moment had sorta passed. Different Class is great but I think it fades quite a bit towards the end.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 06 Jul 2015, 10:49

Giant Steps for me, but the scene in general passed me by a bit; I was almost 50.
Suede and Pulp were the only bands I was bothered with apart from the Boos.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 06 Jul 2015, 11:05

Lemon Yoghourt wrote:I always think of Britpop as 94-96 so for me its Different Class, Parklife, I Should Coco

1st, 2nd and 3rd respectively.
Bullseye.
With due tippage of the hat to 'What's The Story?'

The first and second Suede and Blur albums were too early to be considered Britpop.

Goat Boy wrote: Different Class is great but I think it fades quite a bit towards the end.

I disagree - especially next to Parklife.
Last edited by The Slider on 06 Jul 2015, 11:08, edited 1 time in total.
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

'skope
BCB poster of the year 2014

Postby 'skope » 06 Jul 2015, 11:08

Rayge wrote:Giant Steps for me

along with 'definitely maybe', for me too. however, listening to it retrospectively, i find that i enjoyed it much more back in the day. despite buying into britpop at the time, i can't listen to it nowadays although i think the later oasis albums contain some real gems which surpass a lot of what is on their first two albums.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 06 Jul 2015, 11:59

The Slider wrote:
Lemon Yoghourt wrote:I always think of Britpop as 94-96 so for me its Different Class, Parklife, I Should Coco

1st, 2nd and 3rd respectively.
Bullseye.
With due tippage of the hat to 'What's The Story?'

Yeah, I could go along with that. I agree with what Dougie said about Parklife so I might put that one ahead of the Pulp.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 06 Jul 2015, 12:11

The Slider wrote:
I disagree - especially next to Parklife.

Jubilee is slight but the run from To The End to Magic America is great. And it ends on a real high with This Is A Low which makes all the difference you know.

Never understood people rating What's The Story. I think it's incredibly patchy and some of it is rank.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 06 Jul 2015, 12:11

Really? You don't think Parklife fades badly on side two?
This is a Low is a killer to (almost) finish off, but things like London Loves go on for fucking ever and Trouble in the Message Centre, Clover Over Dover and Magic America is a triple whammy of not-very-goodness....

Different Class' second side, on the other hand, does end with the studied ennui of Monday Morning and Bar Italia, but what very strong line up it has leading into them: Something Changed, Sorted for E's & Wizz, F.E.E.L.I.N.G.C.A.L.L.E.D.L.O.V.E, Underwear

(edit - that was in answer to Coan - you answered while I was still typing, Dougie.)
Last edited by The Slider on 06 Jul 2015, 12:13, edited 1 time in total.

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 06 Jul 2015, 12:12

Both 'peak' Blur albums are a bit over-long.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 06 Jul 2015, 12:14

Parklife is exactly the same length as Different Class (52 mins) but feels longer

funky_nomad
paranoid

Postby funky_nomad » 06 Jul 2015, 12:14

You know what? It was Definitely Maybe at the time, despite my personal prediliction for Supergrass, and it remains so now.

I think Oasis are suffering here for perceptions their later work (justifiable as that may be), but that debut is still a cracking record.
Just a penitent man

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 06 Jul 2015, 12:15

I still kind of feel that Definitely Maybe is a cunthair pre-Britpop.

I think of Whatever as their first release of the Britpop era

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 06 Jul 2015, 12:17

'skope wrote:
Rayge wrote:Giant Steps for me

along with 'definitely maybe', for me too. however, listening to it retrospectively, i find that i enjoyed it much more back in the day. despite buying into britpop at the time, i can't listen to it nowadays although i think the later oasis albums contain some real gems which surpass a lot of what is on their first two albums.

Agreed.
I found the early Boo's EPs as well as the first Oasis-singies the best.
Parklife a good contender too.
Pulp can fuck off.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 06 Jul 2015, 12:20

The Slider wrote:Parklife is exactly the same length as Different Class (52 mins) but feels longer

It certainly does.

Parklife is perhaps the poster-child for Britpop, and the song the soundtrack for 'our standard VT' for news programmes. Different Class is a better record.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

funky_nomad
paranoid

Postby funky_nomad » 06 Jul 2015, 12:27

The Slider wrote:I still kind of feel that Definitely Maybe is a cunthair pre-Britpop.

I think of Whatever as their first release of the Britpop era

Hang on - wasn't Parklife released before Definitely Maybe???
Just a penitent man

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 06 Jul 2015, 12:29

Significantly - April - August

You are right.

I am labouring under a misapprehension.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 06 Jul 2015, 12:33

Trouble In The Message Centre and Clover Over Dover are both excellent. The former is the great underrated song on the album imo - the last two minutes leading into the la-la-la-la fade are very good indeed. Clover is lovely by the way. The harpsichord, Coxons peeling guitar, the middle 8. Really good evocative stuff. It's a gem.

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 06 Jul 2015, 12:40

funky_nomad wrote:You know what? It was Definitely Maybe at the time, despite my personal prediliction for Supergrass, and it remains so now.

I think Oasis are suffering here for perceptions their later work (justifiable as that may be), but that debut is still a cracking record.

The first two Oasis records are really good, but nowhere near as good as 80% of Parklife or the Great Escape, let alone Blur - but that is 1997, and presumably a one-of-those-Slider-things too late (though curiously released six months before Be Here Now).
I kept thinking "swim as far as you can, swim as far as you can".

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 06 Jul 2015, 12:45

Goat Boy wrote:Trouble In The Message Centre and Clover Over Dover are both excellent. The former is the great underrated song on the album imo - the last two minutes leading into the la-la-la-la fade are very good indeed. Clover is lovely by the way. The harpsichord, Coxons peeling guitar, the middle 8. Really good evocative stuff. It's a gem.

they played TITMC at Hyde Park a couple of weeks ago (along with 6 other tracks from Parklife).
I kept thinking "swim as far as you can, swim as far as you can".

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 06 Jul 2015, 13:00

The Slider wrote:I still kind of feel that Definitely Maybe is a cunthair pre-Britpop.

Oh do go away, you silly person, you with your made up, 8 letter words.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Return to “Yakety Yak”